• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

Forza horizon 3 - It's so damn good, one of the best racers in years.

It's so good that Giant Bomb will definitely exclude it from their top 10 GOTY.

I think it might actually make it in. If it doesn't it will get close and then be marked down for being an incremental upgrade on 2 which was an incremental upgrade on 1.

I will miss the psychologically hefty noise of Austin unfolding 3 sheets of A4 and launching into a 10 minute dissertation on why game X should be GOTY but he recognises it's not for everyone so top 10 will do. Like genuinely, that was my favourite bit from last year. The contrast in styles from Jeff's, I've seen everything and done everything and I damn well know what's good, was excellent.

To be clear - I'm not knocking Jeff at all. He clearly knows what he talking about and can always back up his "it's a trash fire!" with a reasoned analysis of why it's a trash fire! :)

AC6yFj2.gif

Xater

For an account called "Face Bread", there's a distinct lack of face in those pics. Especially in comparison to other body parts. o_O

EDIT: Oh, I only saw the thumbnails and had assumed that they were still images and not videos.

This is great. I would back a Patreon for Jeff Brett to do something similar.

I am glad you noticed those are videos. Otherwise you would miss all the "magic".

Meneses

Man, shame about the console port of Xcom 2 being kind of a
predictable
mess, otherwise it would jump straight to one of my top spots this year.

Meneses

I haven't followed that port at all... What happened with the console version?

Performance isn't great even though it's playable. It's chuggy and tear-y but I can tolerate that. It didn't bother me much in the PS3 games which ran a bit worse, but some people will probably find it a bit too much - and I wouldn't fault them for it.

Then there are random crashes, times where you can't choose any action, missing textures in certain enemies.

The main issue is the ridiculous load times from mid to late game, you can wait for around 4 minutes when going to / returning from a mission. It definitely feels like a bug which could be corrected though, so if they fix that it won't be so bad.

The game itself is pretty good.

All I remember about Jade Empire is the part where you go to Fox Spirit Heaven and there's a bunch of naked fox ladies hanging out everywhere. And John Cleese.

That latest VICE cast with Harvey Smith is a good listen, seems like a cool guy. Too bad GBWest has not been able to pull through on Jeff's desire to get more regular guests onto the Bombcast.

Performance isn't great even though it's playable. It's chuggy and tear-y but I can tolerate that. It didn't bother me much in the PS3 games which ran a bit worse, but some people will probably find it a bit too much - and I wouldn't fault them for it.

Then there are random crashes, times where you can't choose any action, missing textures in certain enemies.

The main issue is the ridiculous load times from mid to late game, you can wait for around 4 minutes when going to / returning from a mission. It definitely feels like a bug which could be corrected though, so if they fix that it won't be so bad.

The game itself is pretty good.

Sounds like a perfect port of the PC version then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Don't know how much it has improved with patches, and I still loved the game playing at PC release
That latest VICE cast with Harvey Smith is a good listen, seems like a cool guy. Too bad GBWest has not been able to pull through on Jeff's desire to get more regular guests onto the Bombcast.

Oh that sounds interesting! I should give it a listen.

Xater

All I remember about Jade Empire is the part where you go to Fox Spirit Heaven and there's a bunch of naked fox ladies hanging out everywhere. And John Cleese.

Everything Harvey Smith says makes perfect sense to me. It really is no wonder I enjoy the games he is involved with.

I really like GB interviews/guests but I'd keep them in their own thing rather than on the Bombcast which is at its best when the guys are talking about custom Coke machines and Russian submarines.

Xater

Yeah, the Thief/Deus Ex/Dishonored "genre" or w/e has always had a crazy appeal to me.

I am a fan of well thought a game systems. They also mention as an aside that often they don't quite get the recognition they deserve. Meanwhile everyone is talking about the story in the latest walking simulator.

Sorry to exaggerate it to that level, but one is just more impressive to me than the other.

Strax

I really like GB interviews/guests but I'd keep them in their own thing rather than on the Bombcast which is at its best when the guys are talking about custom Coke machines and Russian submarines.

Agreed. I really dislike Bombcasts that have guests not named Danny.

In particular I'd like to see the bombcast bring more guests in after Dan leaves and before the new hire. Even if you're not normally a fan of most guests that seems like a good time to bring them in, the 'cast is going to be kinda quiet outside of Jeff and Brad.

I am a fan of well thought a game systems. They also mention as an aside that often they don't quite get the recognition they deserve. Meanwhile everyone is talking about the story in the latest walking simulator.

Sorry to exaggerate it to that level, but one is just more impressive to me than the other.

Totally. I'm excited to see what the Dishonored 2 team thinks up next; in at least one interview they've mentioned they're ready to move onto something new after 2.

Xater

Totally. I'm excited to see what the Dishonored 2 team thinks up next; in at least one interview they've mentioned they're ready to move onto something new after 2.

That is exciting. Also great if Bethesda allows them to do that and not just continue making them churn out the same thing over and over again.

That is exciting. Also great if Bethesda allows them to do that and not just continue making them churn out the same thing over and over again.

Yah, if Dishonored 2 ends up doing super well it makes me wonder if Bethesda will put the Arkane Austin team on Dishonored 3 when they finish Prey.

I just kind of want a Dark Messiah 2 out of Arkane. It's all I've ever wanted from them.

Dark Messiah 1 is such a blast. I enjoyed it more than Half-Life 2.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I don't know what it is, but I've fallen so hard off of story focused games lately. I'd rather play something aimless and easy to get in and out of like Forza Horizon 3, American Truck Simulator, Overwatch, whatever instead of Deus Ex or Witcher or whatever

This may be of interest to GBGaf (crossposting from SteamGAF):
For any fans of Contradiction here, this game going up on greenlight looks interesting:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=775251608

Its got the Atlas guy!

CA68AE4A4A66D4C2100AB735844420AED9C71E27

I don't know what it is, but I've fallen so hard off of story focused games lately. I'd rather play something aimless and easy to get in and out of like Forza Horizon 3, American Truck Simulator, Overwatch, whatever instead of Deus Ex or Witcher or whatever

Half of the reason I play Overwatch is to decrypt its mysterious lore.

Overwatch is my Dark Souls.

Also, Deus Ex and story. Pshaw. Considering what HR did with its story, it would've been better off without one.

Maiorum

Strongly disagree. I can maybe think of two bad ones out of what? 15 different guests or more?

They aren't bad per se, they just leave me with no desire to go back and listen to the episode again, even if I missed chunks because I wasn't paying attention. I only like the ones which feature people with whom the staff have a longstanding relationship (Lang/Boyes/Drake/Danny). The Jeff Greencast was pretty good too.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Has there ever been a Bombcast guest they don't have a long relationship with? Alexa maybe? But I really liked her. They might be a little too careful to introduce them to be honest.

Top Bottom