• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

Dan being in NY has been some of the liveliest, most likeable content in a long time out of either studio, and I'm glad that he (and Danny apparently) knows which coast is the actual best coast.

west though... good luck? hey Brad, remember X-Wing?

this isn't strictly related but i wanted to say some people were ragging on austin because they didn't want politics in their video games and i was thinking about how nice it must be to be able to be blind to the ideas and concepts that permeate every inch of reality
I think the most hilarious thing I've ever laid my eyes on was some tweet saying something to the effect of "don't bring politics into Deus Ex"

People really don't realize that everything is always already enmeshed in ideology, but, hey, it's easier to just point gun and shoot many mans.

Austin was too good for us, and video games were a mistake.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Dan being in NY has been some of the liveliest, most likeable content in a long time out of either studio, and I'm glad that he (and Danny apparently) knows which coast is the actual best coast.

Whatever coast Vinny happens to be on is the best coast.

rudds heard that...

DdmkgRx.gif

Austin hasn't been gone that long.

I think the most hilarious thing I've ever laid my eyes on was some tweet saying something to the effect of "don't bring politics into Deus Ex"

People really don't realize that everything is always already enmeshed in ideology, but, hey, it's easier to just point gun and shoot many mans.

Austin was too good for us, and video games were a mistake.

Isn't the general consensus that the ideological and political stuff has always been a total mess, though?

giant bomb threads on gaming side continue to offer credence to my theory that having any opinions whatsoever should be against the law

You know, posts like this (and the ones in the Gaming thread itself) are only putting a magnifying glass on the shitposts. The thread started off terribly, but it's not going to move on from it if people can't stop pointing out how terribly it started off.

Draxyle

Neo Member
I just hate the fact that I've been conditioned to think that whenever there's something to be announced regarding Giantbomb I automatically assume it's inherently negative - like someone leaving. It's nerve-racking.

And to think that GB is probably one of the most stable videogame sites out there.

But yea, my heart can't handle another departure.

killroy87

Be very happy for his friend, I'd guess.
Lol some people are physically incapable of playing along with a joke.

Good for Dan. Not my ideal situation, I'm not gonna lie, but I'm excited for the content!

I really will miss him on the West coast. If anything, it will force the rest of them to actually create some content. Dan was like a creative tidal wave when he started.

Isn't the general consensus that the ideological and political stuff has always been a total mess, though?
I've only played HR, but from that and what I've seen of MD, yeah, totally. The point isn't that it's good; it's that it's there (as it is in every cultural product) and worth discussing. Because some of it is egregiously bad (...as it is in almost every cultural product) and won't get better without the criticism, which...is what critics are supposed to provide.

or maybe both coasts will do them now~

i would like Vinny's opinions of those old games.

hmmm...GBWest can take all the xbox demo disc and GBEast can take all the playstation demo disc, and when they come together they can do nintendo gamecube demo disc. I approve of this!

I've only played HR, but from that and what I've seen of MD, yeah, totally. The point isn't that it's good; it's that it's there (as it is in every cultural product) and worth discussing. Because some of it is egregiously bad (...as it is in almost every cultural product) and won't get better without the criticism, which...is what critics are supposed to provide.

Sure, but the political stuff from HR to MD seems to have only gotten worse, so I don't know that I'd find the notion that the series would be better off dropping it as laughable as you do. Frankly, I think that space is much better suited towards smaller studios, since the nature of AAA games seemingly makes nuance a lot more difficult to pull off.

Sure, but the political stuff from HR to MD seems to have only gotten worse, so I don't know that I'd find the notion that the series be better off dropping it as laughable as you do. Frankly, I think that space is much better suited towards smaller studios, since the nature of AAA games seemingly makes nuance a lot more difficult to pull off.
Oh, I'm not arguing in support of the studio. The tweet was made by somebody taking issue with people discussing the game's politics. I'm saying it's stupid to say that we're not supposed to engage with that part of the video game.

Rainmaker

Banned
this isn't strictly related but i wanted to say some people were ragging on austin because they didn't want politics in their video games and i was thinking about how nice it must be to be able to be blind to the ideas and concepts that permeate every inch of reality

Yep. It's a real privileged mindset. I was like that when I was younger but I work really hard to think about things like that and discipline myself. Ask myself why those thoughts are there and such. I'm nowhere near perfect at all but a little self awareness and empathy can go a long way.

Panel worth watching or just go straight to the ER tonight?

I enjoyed the panel a good bit but I think the majority thought it was disjointed and awkward. It seemed par for the course when it comes to PAX shows to me.

So in the next few months we will have

A Endurance Run
MANY mario party parties
And probably a Destiny raid stream since those are fun (hey. Remember Destiny?)

The good times are coming duders. The good times are coming.

Meneses

Shenmue 1 and 2 are two of my favorite games ever, they were incredible at the time.

Pretty sure they haven't aged well but my nostalgia is still high. And it's super dumb and serious at the same time, which should make for a great ER.

Depending on how hard they go with the side stuff, it shouldn't take them too long to finish the main path.

And it's great to know they're jumping on Shenmue 2, as well.

Top Bottom