• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

I'm behind on the Bombcast and catching up. Smith casts are always sooo good. Only topped by a Green or Snider cast.

I want him to be a weekly addition, replacing Jason.

repeater

I'm behind on the Bombcast and catching up. Smith casts are always sooo good. Only topped by a Green or Snider cast.

I want him to be a weekly addition, replacing Jason.
Has Dave been on any podcasts as a guest since he abandoned GB?

Big Willie can be a great guest but I thought that last Bombcast was so-so.

Yea man Jason isn't a great podcast guy, while he does bring a unique perspective playing the weird Japan games the other guys don't. He is terrible at articulating what hes trying to say.

I posted this else where but this weeks Bombcast

In the Gears 4 talk he stats trying to chime in but isn't adding anything and when talking about the blind box opening rate Jason mentions double XP weekends and Jeff has to shut him down saying that has nothing to do with the blind boxes and Jason says something along the lines of "well yeah". I think hes trying to add another voice to the conversation but has absolutely nothing to bring and then says something wrong that he has to be corrected about and kind of shrugs it off like whatever. God it absolutely kills me and I dont know why.

Yea man Jason isn't a great podcast guy, while he does bring a unique perspective playing the weird Japan games the other guys don't. He is terrible at articulating what hes trying to say.

In the Gears 4 talk he stats trying to chime in but isn't adding anything and when talking about the blind box opening rate Jason mentions double XP weekends and Jeff has to shut him down saying that has nothing to do with the blind boxes and Jason says something along the lines of "well yeah". I think hes trying to add another voice to the conversation but has absolutely nothing to bring and then says something wrong that he has to be corrected about and kind of shrugs it off like whatever. God it absolutely kills me and I dont know why.

I feel this way most times Jason talks about any game on the bombcast tbh. I like the guy but he's just... not a good podcaster, and a terrible critic/commentator.

Don't think so :(

I'd fucking love for some Snider content again. Him and Vinny were the dream team of dream teams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=si2Hvowovy0

I had the old xboxalypse stream on in the background the other night and there's a point where it's like 2am and they've been going crazy for 4 hours playing Halo 2 waiting for the servers to shut down, and Vinny finally whips out his guitar and Dave sings the Halo blues. It was great. And then Vinny played the Life is Beautiful whistle theme from Deadly Premonition on his guitar which was also great. Also Dan's tongue pic is great!

Wunder

I feel this way most times Jason talks about any game on the bombcast tbh. I like the guy but he's just... not a good podcaster, and a terrible critic/commentator.

Yeah I've been feeling this way whenever he's been on the main table and chimes in. He does a lot of "mhm, yeah" type comments which just feels unnecessary for the bombcast when you can just let someone talk fully about their game and not have to make assuring comments like it's an interview or something

hamchan

Yeah I've been feeling this way whenever he's been on the main table and chimes in. He does a lot of "mhm, yeah" type comments which just feels unnecessary for the bombcast when you can just let someone talk fully about their game and not have to make assuring comments like it's an interview or something

Him and Drew both aren't great on the bombcast but yknow, they are video guys and not editorial after all.

Him and Drew both aren't great on the bombcast but yknow, they are video guys and not editorial after all.

I was watching an old Extra Life video and Drew tells a pretty good story about how he ended up at Giant Bomb, after being laid off and seeing a posting on craigslist from some small startup in Sausalito needing a temporary intern to mail t-shirts and stuff.

strafer

haha this mailbag is amazing

roEplKf.png

Vinny looks tired as fuck tho

Yea but Drew can explain in a concise thought what he thinks about a game and offer discussion/ask useful questions for games he hasnt.

Like someone else said Jason just mmhmm and yeah's echoing someone else's thoughts as they are speaking and tends to interject with what tends to be incorrect info.

Scizzy

I feel like Drew is really good on the podcasts where Jeff or Brad is absent. With both of them around, he usually recedes into the background, save for a cool airplane/submarine/biking story. But when there's a void, he tends to ask really good questions about games and game mechanics during the first segment and plays a good straight man to the crazies during the emails.

Jintor

i have never scraped the extra lifes for good content. the only thing i remember watching in full is austin's galak-z adventures.

i hear the alexis-drew halo 2 marathons are good

i have never scraped the extra lifes for good content. the only thing i remember watching in full is austin's galak-z adventures.

i hear the alexis-drew halo 2 marathons are good

They tend to be pretty low-key, some good background conversation to throw on while I'm doing other stuff. I played a lot of the early Halo games back in high school so there's definitely a nostalgia factor that helps keep me engaged when they're 15 hours in and run out of energy to talk so it's just them playing Halo, haha.

If you haven't seen the 2013 one with Jeff and Vinny that one's a bit higher energy with a larger crew in the studio, and it's fun to watch the descent into madness in the late night hours. Vinny and that shock game...

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
You know who's a good podcaster? Rorie.
He might not know anything about games and probably hasn't played any of them recently but that sure doesn't stop him talking.

I legit love Roriecasts and you are a bad person if you don't

Whatever happened to Sean Coonce?

I like to imagine that when Whiskey Media fell apart he just got on a surfboard and magically surfed off into the sunset

According to Twitter he is a Django Developer now.

repeater

I like Jason on the Bombcast. It's not like he gets a lot of airtime, but he's usually the only one that will talk about weird games and the Vita.

Xater

One of these days I should just get myself a Masterpiece Wheeljack or Bumblebee. Optimus Prime and Soundwave are probably a bit too pricey.

I like Jason on the Bombcast. It's not like he gets a lot of airtime, but he's usually the only one that will talk about weird games and the Vita.

Yeah agree'd, he's generally teh only who talks about Japanese / non-mainstream games and actually is into them whereas the rest of the crew just gloss over it.

repeater

Yeah agree'd, he's generally teh only who talks about Japanese / non-mainstream games and actually is into them whereas the rest of the crew just gloss over it.
Exactly. And even if you don't like his contributions to game discussions, how can you not love the dynamic of his and Dan's relationship?

Santar

Did Alex and Vinny ever do a post mortem talk about the Shenmue Endurance run?
I remember they said on the beastcast some weeks ago that they'd wait til next beastcast to talk about how they felt about i,t but they never did unless I've missed something.
Not done with the Endurance run though just wondering.

Exactly. And even if you don't like his contributions to game discussions, how can you not love the dynamic of his and Dan's relationship?

Jason roasting Dan is pretty good. Not enough of that these days. But as to the types of games he plays and talks about, he never has anything interesting to say about them. Any time he talks about a game it boils down to "This game is good because it's fun" or the opposite, but stretched out for a lot longer.

I like Drew on the podcast though. Even though he sometimes struggles to articulate his thoughts on a game, I think he has good input and his stories are pretty much always amazing.

jambo

Anyone who thinks that Drew is bad at podcasting needs to listen to Alt+F1.

I do agree that Jason can sometimes be a bit aimless in his talking, but he bounce's off of Dan so well.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Drew is pretty smart about it, I think he knows his role. He picks games nobody else would play to talk about them and he often asks questions when the other guys forget to mention something because they're too "in it". Vinny used to do that, too.

daveo42

Banned
Drew is pretty smart about it, I think he knows his role. He picks games nobody else would play to talk about them and he often asks questions when the other guys forget to mention something because they're too "in it". Vinny used to do that, too.

That's part of the goodness that is Drew and I think Vinny still does that to some extent. It's refreshing that not everyone on the site is playing and talking about the same small list of games. It's also why I love the God Eater Minute because you can tell Jason is super excited about it and it's a big release.

Drew is clutch.

Top Bottom