• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Most exciting part of the NX is Mario has some Mario 64 moves in the new game.

XVKEMAS.gif
Is it just me or does this look Sonic-y?
Looks like linear levels and there are even rings there.

With the trailer being a relatively thorough look at the capabilities of this thing, you'd think they'd show off such a major feature; and with only 6 months till it launches, surely they can't still be vacillating on the inclusion of a touchscreen at this stage?

It is weird, but Nintendo has been using touch controls for nearly 12 years now. Even putting that aside, the feasibility of launching a portable device in 2017 without a touchscreen is nearly unthinkable, and a hardware manufacturer trying to find a portable scale screen that isn't touch enabled in 2016 must be nearly impossible.

Red Dead Redemption 2 will release worldwide in Fall 2017 on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One systems.

I want to keep the PC dream alive.

It is weird, but Nintendo has been using touch controls for nearly 12 years now. Even putting that aside, the feasibility of launching a portable device in 2017 without a touchscreen is nearly unthinkable, and a hardware manufacturer trying to find a portable scale screen that isn't touch enabled in 2016 must be nearly impossible.

I imagine it's a capacitive touch screen with no stylus anymore.

SomberOwl

It seems like using one of the controllers for multiplayer stuff will be kind of weird. 4 buttons and a joystick. Also looks small to hold just one of the side controllers.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Is it just me or does this look Sonic-y?
Looks like linear levels and there are even rings there.

Looks to me like 3D Land/World in level design but with a different camera view.

It seems like using one of the controllers for multiplayer stuff will be kind of weird. 4 buttons and a joystick. Also looks small to hold just one of the side controllers.

Size is an issue, it doesn't look comfortable to hold that way at all. But it would fit great with most of the landscape of local multiplayer games these days. All of the party/local competitive games I can think of in recent memory can be pulled off with 4 buttons pretty easily. It seems like simpler, small budget games are the only ones bothering to offer more than 2 players on one screen.

I need to hear Vinny panicking about Nintendo Switch video outputs and how they will capture t on the podcast tomorrow. Then I will know a new console is really coming.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I just thought they could even port DS/3DS games, since you could use the thing vertically and take the controllers into your hands.

I need to hear Vinny panicking about Nintendo Switch video outputs and how they will capture t on the podcast tomorrow. Then I will know a new console is really coming.
It connects to a TV, shouldn't be a problem.

SomberOwl

Size is an issue, it doesn't look comfortable to hold that way at all. But it would fit great with most of the landscape of local multiplayer games these days. All of the party/local competitive games I can think of in recent memory can be pulled off with 4 buttons pretty easily. It seems like simpler, small budget games are the only ones bothering to offer more than 2 players on one screen.

I suppose it might just be an option, with using pro controllers for more complex games like Mario Kart & Smash.

Also is that just the Wii U Pro controller in the trailer or is it a new design? I couldn't tell. Hopefully it's a new controller.

Looks cool
Nintendo can focus on one thing
Back to basics, control wise
Wii U, no one cared
place to play nintendo games, 3rd party "who fucking cares"

It looks cool, he likes that all the Nintendo games will be under one umbrella, thinks that the games were very "back to basics" but probably what they need to do at this point.

Cool, thanks!

I'm so glad I'll get to play Splatoon.

Strax

Looks cool
Nintendo can focus on one thing
Back to basics, control wise
Wii U, no one cared
place to play nintendo games, 3rd party "who fucking cares"

Adding on

Doesn't think it has a a touch screen because Zelda on Wii U did not have any touch controls in that demo.
Switched the radio channel from Gettin' Jiggy With It - got me mad.

justjim89

Portable Skyrim is gonna print money. Good on them for showing that off. Though I wonder if it'll allow mod support, my money is on no. From was also listed under the 3rd part devs. Portable Dark Souls?

Switch might be the first console I've bought since the Wii. Looking really cool.

Meguro

Banned
Switch is interesting in that all of Nintendos output will be on one thing I can play on my TV.
That includes the Pokemans and hopefully whatever JRPGs Atlus is cooking up for handhelds.

Switch is interesting in that all of Nintendos output will be on one thing I can play on my TV.
That includes the Pokemans and hopefully whatever JRPGs Atlus is cooking up for handhelds.

And conversely, everything can be played on the go for those of us who have long commutes. It's the ideal console for me. I basically never use my PS4 other than as a media device.

Catvoca

Banned

It makes it really enticing to me. Like the prospect of the console having a library like that of the 3DS and the Wii U combined sounds rad. I'm not usually a Nintendo guy but I want this!

Alright. I called in sick today. Gonna go out, grab some lunch. Then gonna come back home, unlock Civ VI through VPN, throw up Mario Party Party 7, and not move from my desk for hours.

Today shall be a good day.

strafer

Why are you guys surprised? That always happens.

There is already an offical NX thread. No need to create a bunch of other threads.

daveo42

Banned
Everyone wants to be the guy with the epic console or story thread or make sure their opinion or question gets heard by GAF. Somehow this seems worse than E3 in terms of threads opening and closing around minute details from a 3min trailer that really didn't show much outside of the console and a few partners.

I'm pretty sure the RDR2 trailer was in-engine but it's still impressive

It looked real good to me. While it didn't show much, I think it'll end up being one of the best looking open-world games of the gen.

Top Bottom