• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

jaina

Virtua Davis was what he changed nachoboss to when he discovered it was available

Ryan's secondary account was the elusive xXSmokeDawg420Xx
ah! thank you very much for the explanation
I wanna get the premium membership but only if i can cast on to my tv. does anyone use chromecast? how do you get it working?

Chromecasting from Giant Bomb Video Buddy works great for all (premium) videos.
Premiums live streams unfortunately require the website.

derFeef

I wish the Plex channel would work on the Xbox One with premium content. The workaround/fix on the GB forums did not help either :(

KingKong

I am very much looking forward to all the drama that comes out of games having to be upgraded for the PS4 Neo, especially when they'll still be capped to 30 fps

Curufinwe

I am very much looking forward to all the drama that comes out of games having to be upgraded for the PS4 Neo, especially when they'll still be capped to 30 fps

They don't have to be upgraded. They just can't run below 1080p, or at a lower frame rate than the standard PS4 version.

...so it doesn't look like I'll be able to see the PlayStation Meeting live. Assuming GB does do a talk over it stream, what would be the best place to watch it later without being bombarded by "spoilers"? I assume GB main page will have an unavoidable news story front and center.

Twitch archive? Are those usually intact, or are they rife with censored audio now?

Or should I just abandon this foolish notion and read the news as it's posted.

jaina

...so it doesn't look like I'll be able to see the PlayStation Meeting live. Assuming GB does do a talk over it stream, what would be the best place to watch it later without being bombarded by "spoilers"? I assume GB main page will have an unavoidable news story front and center.

Twitch archive? Are those usually intact, or are they rife with censored audio now?

Or should I just abandon this foolish notion and read the news as it's posted.
Try in this order:
- http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/embed/8635/?allow_gb=yes
- https://www.youtube.com/c/therealgiantbomb/videos
- http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/

Also, don't worry.

I wanna get the premium membership but only if i can cast on to my tv. does anyone use chromecast? how do you get it working?

Do it! I have been watching a ton of giant bomb videos this way since I subbed last year, absolutely worth it. Like others have said you just need to download giant bomb video buddy, link it to your giant bomb account and then you can cast directly to your chrome cast. Enjoy!

Spaghetti

feels like this endurance run is really testing everyone's patience
The best (worst?) is yet to come with frustration, trust me. I love Shenmue but there's a stealth section that is mercifully short but really difficult going in blind.

Watch Vinny do it first try.

Reminder-Shenmue is what people apparently wanted to come back, forgetting what kind of game it was. A clunky, whodunit, where you go asking questions to every damn npc and then repeat it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Reminder-Shenmue is what people apparently wanted to come back, forgetting what kind of game it was. A clunky, whodunit, where you go asking questions to every damn npc and then repeat it.

people like games where you walk around and dont do anything now

you could say theres never been a better time for a new shenmue

Meneses

I loved both Shenmue games, asked for a new one, am super excited for it to come and pretty sure i'll enjoy it a lot.

Weird, huh.

Spaghetti

That's a very dumb, reductive way of describing the game considering it offers a whole lot more than the detective gameplay.

Shenmue is flawed by Yu Suzuki's own admission, but fans of the series want it to continue because they played Shenmue II, which is a better paced, more varied, and a better example of the series going forward. Don't be a snob.

That's a very dumb, reductive way of describing the game considering it offers a whole lot more than the detective gameplay.

Shenmue is flawed by Yu Suzuki's own admission, but fans of the series want it to continue because they played Shenmue II, which is a better paced, more varied, and a better example of the series going forward. Don't be a snob.

Maybe Shenmue 2 will be better in that regard

But I mean

There's a reason it didn't continue >_____________>

BearPawB

Banned
I like Shenmue for what it is.
I think Japan is a pretty cool place, and like any game that lets me walk around in it.

Although the story is hokey, I do remember a point in my life where i really wanted to know what happened next in the story.

I also remember Shenmue 2 being better in every way? But idk if that is a common belief?

It is definitely not the most exciting game of all time to watch. But I think it does set up the guys well for some goofs and laughs

Meneses

Shenmue 2 really was better in every way.

It is definitely not the most exciting game of all time to watch. But I think it does set up the guys well for some goofs and laughs

It's really not the best way to experience the game. I'm loving this Endurance Run because of the funny stuff between the duders but playing the game just to get through it is doing it a bit of a disservice. But playing it "right" woud be one of the most boring video series for sure. Also, the way it has aged makes it hard for newcomers in this day and age to grasp what it was trying to do back then.

It's a silly phrase but I think Shenmue really is the perfect example of "you had to be there", with the added "you have to be in the right frame of mind" to really appreciate it, which kinda limits its mass appeal - and even so there were a lot of people who didn't care for it back then, it's super divisive.

If this game came out today, almost 20 years later, everyone would probably laugh at it (well, I guess today it would have microtransactions to get the capsule toys or something like that. In fact, i'm half-expecting Shenmue 3 to have something stupid like that).

I think Japan is a pretty cool place, and like any game that lets me walk around in it.

Although the story is hokey, I do remember a point in my life where i really wanted to know what happened next in the story.

I also remember Shenmue 2 being better in every way? But idk if that is a common belief?

Oh don't get me wrong, it's a great watch. Burning fires tend to be, that's why Mario Party Party is a great feature.

bjork

I LOVE Alex and Dan together. Alex is having none of Dan's Danity and I love it.

I listen to old bombcasts at work, and today was one from before E3 2014, where Alex is on instead of Vinny, and Alex kinda gives Drew shit about some puns. So he's going to have some awesome moments reacting to Dan, I'm sure.

Spaghetti

Maybe Shenmue 2 will be better in that regard

But I mean

There's a reason it didn't continue >_____________>
It is what it is. Shenmue is a niche title that appeals to a specific crowd, but fans were very much reaffirmed and vindicated last year when the Kickstarter broke two World Records.

Acting like people don't know what they wanted is pretty shitty given the Shenmue fanbase has been one of the most active and vocal of any "dead" game series to date. Also acting like the game is just the detective stuff is disingenuous too, given that Shenmue features more gameplay variety than most other narrative driven games too (I'm looking at you, David Cage).

I'll readily admit the original does not capitalise on those features enough, but that's what happens when the prologue chapter is split from the main game, has its content stretched out, all to get it released earlier.

I listen to old bombcasts at work, and today was one from before E3 2014, where Alex is on instead of Vinny, and Alex kinda gives Drew shit about some puns. So he's going to have some awesome moments reacting to Dan, I'm sure.

Can you link that one? Sounds like it's right on my plate.

Spaghetti

Shenmue fans need to lighten the fuck up. Always so defensive.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's definitely a common belief. Although you do find people that prefer the first game for its atmosphere, Shenmue II is a real significant improvement on every level. From the user interface, to the pacing, to gameplay variety, and more.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Shenmue fans need to lighten the fuck up. Always so defensive.

Well, it's bad amongst GB fans because of all the overly passionate J e f f b o i s that anytime Jeff dismisses a game nod their head instantly, there's that group that keeps repeating what he said about games because Jeff said it, 'FUCKING GARBAGE'

Strax

Nothing like leaving a job with a bang. Today my last columm for the magazine came from print with the headline being "You can cum on my face"

Its a Leaving Las Vegas reference

Top Bottom