• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

Spaghetti

Well, it's bad amongst GB fans because of all the overly passionate J e f f b o i s that anytime Jeff dismisses a game nod their head instantly, there's that group that keeps repeating what he said about games because Jeff said it, 'FUCKING GARBAGE'
This is largely my view too, and generally how I treat video games criticism. Jeff has been at this for a long time, but his views and tastes are just as weird and poorly reasoned as the rest of us, and that's fine.

We should trust ourselves more to try games out first hand to find out if we see the appeal of not, as video content with commentary over the top isn't really the same nor does it play to the strengths of immersive games (i.e Shenmue) very well.

I guess people feel cheated if they play a game they don't like? I dunno. I think occasionally playing a dud is much more a preferable risk than missing out on a game I may like because a critic who I enjoy hates it.

Well, it's bad amongst GB fans because of all the overly passionate J e f f b o i s that anytime Jeff dismisses a game nod their head instantly, there's that group that keeps repeating what he said about games because Jeff said it, 'FUCKING GARBAGE'

Well I mean...before GB existed the players decided that Shenmue should not continue and Sega agreed. Thats why they had to kickstart 3.

imBask

Banned
I don't know if I want to watch them or Kinda Funny talk over the conference

Jaded crew vs Sony Fanboys, what to do

kiguel182

Fans of Shenmue are definitely some of the worst people to argue with in this forum. This ER has been great but that side effect sucks.

Some people don't like the game, move on people.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Well I mean...before GB existed the players decided that Shenmue should not continue and Sega agreed. Thats why they had to kickstart 3.

You seem to be ignoring the fact that it was an extremely expensive series to make on a console that was already dying.

I guess Panzer Dragoon is trash too though.

kiguel182

I guess i'll stay loyal to GB, but I still feel like Kinda Funny is the place for most things Playstation focused. I also really want to see how Colin reacts to all of this

Has he been positive about it?

Their podcast model totally killed Kinda Funny to me. That and the third dude.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Funny to hear Dan talk about how he misses games in the game thing in the prerecorded ER that they don't do anymore in the same week the podcast came out with him talking about how he didn't like Yakuza on the bombcast

when that is yet another thing Dan likes that Yakuza does

imBask

Banned
Has he been positive about it?

Their podcast model totally killed Kinda Funny to me. That and the third dude.

He thinks they have to be ON POINT with the messaging because they can easily fuck this up and alienate 40M+ people. He keeps calling it a potential unforced error

I tend to agree with him. If they show a game, will they now have to specify "and here's how it looks on the original PS4"? if so isn't that kinda shitty? It really is a slippery slope and my cynical ass totally expects games running like complete garbage on the original PS4 weeks after the release of neo

Spaghetti

I don't think it's fair to say "players decided" when the original Shenmue sold over 1.2 million copies (the attach rate, given the number of Dreamcast owners, is comparable to Skyrim), and the much better sequel released on a deceased console, and the on the original Xbox a year late in the market where the first game did the best (North America).

I'm not saying the series didn't go away for a reason, but don't pin that decision on players.

oti

Banned

What do you want to see?

A) Hm. SNARK. That's interesting. SNARK. Aha. SNARK. What. SNARK. Ok. SNARK. Hm.

B) OHHHHHH YEEAAAAAHHHHHHH SONYYYYYYYY I LOOOOOOOOOVE YOUUUUUUU BEEEEEESSSSTTTT THIIIIIING EVAAAAAAAAAAAAR TAAAAAKE MY MONEEEEEEEYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!

It's probably good all around that they recorded the ER in its entirety already. None of the yelling and complaining really matter.

What do you want to see?

A) Hm. SNARK. That's interesting. SNARK. Aha. SNARK. What. SNARK. Ok. SNARK. Hm.

B) OHHHHHH YEEAAAAAHHHHHHH SONYYYYYYYY I LOOOOOOOOOVE YOUUUUUUU BEEEEEESSSSTTTT THIIIIIING EVAAAAAAAAAAAAR TAAAAAKE MY MONEEEEEEEYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!

A. A all day.

skynidas

Banned
CNET using Giant Bomb's podcast room, huh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KDwuqdeq9Q

csCsHRR.png

kiguel182

He thinks they have to be ON POINT with the messaging because they can easily fuck this up and alienate 40M+ people. He keeps calling it a potential unforced error

I tend to agree with him. If they show a game, will they now have to specify "and here's how it looks on the original PS4"? if so isn't that kinda shitty? It really is a slippery slope and my cynical ass totally expects games running like complete garbage on the original PS4 weeks after the release of neo

Yeah, he is totally right. I'm really curious to see how they present this.

Devs will probably be the ones that will have to be careful so the Neo version just looks slightly better with a res and fps bump. They also can't alienate their previous consumers.

I'm also curious what this means to the future of Playstation after Neo. I still don't know if this will work like iPhones or the next console will simply be a PS5 and this is more like a New 3DS.

imBask

Banned
Yeah, he is totally right. I'm really curious to see how they present this.

Devs will probably be the ones that will have to be careful so the Neo version just looks slightly better with a res and fps bump. They also can't alienate their previous consumers.

I'm also curious what this means to the future of Playstation after Neo. I still don't know if this will work like iPhones or the next console will simply be a PS5 and this is more like a New 3DS.

I think it'll work like iPhones and I think it's incredibly stupid. My phone does a billion things, my ps4 does 2, and none of them are vital to my everyday life

kiguel182

I think it'll work like iPhones and I think it's incredibly stupid. My phone does a billion things, my ps4 does 2, and none of them are vital to my everyday life

I think an iPhone model is the way to go. Not in terms of yearly updates but keeping the OS and all of that.

Do you want a reset every gen? That's so antiquate.

Just release spec bumps whenever and have devs choose if they want "cross-gen" games and stuff like that. And it would be easy since the APIs are all the same.

Alucrid

Banned
are there other membership sales between now and january? sub still has like 5 months so i'm not sure if i should renew another year now or if i can wait

imBask

Banned
i'll defend my boys at Kinda Funny by saying they're not like option B, that was GameTrailers and they died as fast as I died inside when I saw that video

I watched some of their E3 stuff and they hardly spoke, just them either looking at their laptops or them staring at the stream

i'll defend my boys at Kinda Funny by saying they're not like option B, that was GameTrailers and they died as fast as I died inside when I saw that video

What video?

Meguro

Banned
I still don't get the jaded complaint about the duders.
They liked plenty of stuff shown at this years E3!
They just didn't scream out loud because really who does that at friggin videogame announcements?
I didn't scream at NieR:Automata being revealed, I just cracked a smile and thought "nice" to myself.

I still don't get the jaded complaint about the duders.
They liked plenty of stuff shown at this years E3!
They just didn't scream out loud because really who does that at friggin videogame announcements?
I didn't scream at NieR:Automata being revealed, I just cracked a smile and thought "nice" to myself.

I agree. I firmly believe they just have a more tempered and skeptical reaction to announcements, and that time proves them right more than not.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Kind of funny to think about how many people on here give guff about reaction videos but watch giant bomb talk over a press conference

Top Bottom