• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

dannyodwyer

Neo Member

PUTttrx.gif

oti

Banned
Random thoughts.

I dont think I have ever seen a gamecube or a Dreamcast in person.

I have never seen a Dreamcast or OG Xbox in person. I don't know a single person who had one of those consoles. It was all about Nintendo and then PlayStation around here.

SingStar and EyeToy EVERYWHERE

Houndi101

Any time there's a content drought from west coast from now on just assume they're doing a Endurance run for the game you want the most

repeater

I have never seen a Dreamcast or OG Xbox in person. I don't know a single person who had one of those consoles. It was all about Nintendo and then PlayStation around here.

SingStar and EyeToy EVERYWHERE
I mean, there's a natural explanation for that. The original Xbox was so big that you needed a fucking CASTLE to house it. So unless you were friends with any European monarchs it's entirely to be expected that you never saw one.

Meguro

Banned
I wonder if we'll get a quicklook of Blazblue: Central Fiction. I've been playing the jp demo of that and I wonder how it is for someone who has not kept up with that series.
It's fucking nuts.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I wonder if we'll get a quicklook of Blazblue: Central Fiction. I've been playing the jp demo of that and I wonder how it is for someone who has not kept up with that series.
It's fucking nuts.

As someone who likes blazblue I cannot fanthom why anyone would care about the story of blazblue.

Demo Derby continues to be damn good.
SAVE AND PROTECT IT AT ALL COSTS.

Been working my way through Attack on Titan these past few days and man, subjugating big ass titans with one swipe of the sword(after upgrading)feels damn good. It's the perfect game to play in short bursts.

Jeez lol. Jeff was playing it earlier so, I'm guessing he's going to review it? I'm getting the game because I'm always interested in new IP's, I'm hoping for this one to be at the very least an OK game.

Man, some people just don't have patience. I actually enjoy all this lead up to a thing.

So question for the people who have played through Shenmue, is what we have seen in the endurance run representative of the whole game or does it branch out from that?

I always saw it as a take on the point and click adventure genre. If you play it with that mindset it's actually really good, with a huge very detailed realistic world to explore every knook and crany of.
I always wanted a game where I could open and check out stuff in basically every cupboard, closet and drawer and pick up all sorts of stuff everywhere.

But if you play it like a modern open world game or a more actiony adventure game you'd probably be disappointed.
And I'm no huge Shenmue fan either, I haven't even played much of Shenmue 2. I just really enjoyed the first game when I played it.

Shenmue was a unique experience at the time. It doesn't hold up well, but I genuinely still love it.

It was a wonderfully atmospheric game that brought an unprecendented level of detail and ambition into console gaming, while trying to lay the groundworks for a grand narrative.

It was a breath of fresh air, an exploration of the boundaries of mundane life with the promise of an adventure around the corner (which the sequel kinda brought).

While lots of aspects don't translate well to today's standards, and some are downright bad - like the voice acting, which, at the time, felt more comical than anything - the world immersion was fantastic and allowed players to get a glimpse at the day-to-day life of a different culture.

The game isn't action packed, but the moments between investigations are supposed to be treated as opportunities to immerse yourself in that world, whether it's checking out stuff on shelves (and buying them), trying to collect capsules, playing at the arcade or the bars or the Sega Saturn in your house, or training your moves for the later fights.

The fact that the action sequences weren't very common made their occurence more exciting. The cinematic QTEs were a novelty (if you don't count stuff like Dragon's Lair from years before) and the combat was actually quite deep - it was basically a multi-directional Virtua Fighter.

It was revolutionary at the time and a beautiful, flawed experience for many, but also boring and janky for many others who tried it and didn't get into it - which is fine. Not every game is for everyone. Unfortunately, the overly ambitious project meant that Sega needed it to be literally a game for everyone to buy - which as we all know didn't happen, despite decent sales - and the series stopped in time. The sequel improved quite a bit, so they seemed to be learning some lessons along the way.

Now, if someone's contact with it is from a video of someone else experiencing it almost 20 years later, especially being a comedy-focused playthrough trying to mainline it as fast as possible, then they''re not gonna get anything like that out of it.

I am really enjoying their playthrough, though. It's given us plenty of GB comedy gold moments already.

My thoughts exactly. I love the games but if I were to replay them I have to be in a certain mood if I want to dive in such a world where most of it depends on how much you soak everything around you.

2797275-8750426659-oBBoB.gif

Hey Danny.

I got CM Punk tonight. WHO'S WITH ME?!

It pretty much went as I expected. Props to the dude for trying atleast.

Obviously Rorie is the only one who speaks for all dogs so, that could be done. Unless Jeff has a sinister plan...

HSTb3yo.gif

Meguro

Banned
As someone who likes blazblue I cannot fanthom why anyone would care about the story of blazblue.

It's all about the gag endings, man.
(I was also talking more in terms of mechanics. How does anyone even learn all that anymore if they are just starting?)

I downloaded Google Translate after Drew talked about it and It's super cool to take a picture of this Japanese PS1 demo and see the text translated.

It was a fourth-year 11-year-old Suzuki Shinya 23-year-old F University, lose memory, since then, the memory does not go back.

And that Dreamcast Spawn game was okay.

Man, Drew might be right about the blurred image.

Ghost in the Shell on PS2 is a choice game. Demo on Official Playstation Magazine 86 if they ever get around to it. In some respects it's like Oni, which is feeding back from Oni borrowing from Ghost in the Shell.

jaina

1 + 2 are on GOG. (link)

They were pretty alright back then. Still fun to play too. 6 bucks each is maybe a little much though, but I think they are frequently discounted.

Edit: 3 as well, but I remember that being terrible.

I remember the track editor from Moto Racer 2
moto-racer-2-image960267.jpg

pizzacat

Banned
It's fucking nuts.
Still waiting for the ER on the VN in Chronophatasm

My embarrassment empathy is too strong. I think that Nintendo press event with the guy trying to ask question in Japanese that Jeff mentioned would have killed me.

Man I hope they go back to actually doing the full 24 hour marathons of horror for Extra Life this year. I appreciate why they did the shorter ones last year since so many people on the team wanted to participate which is totally commendable, and they obviously didn't want to overlap. But watching them all lose their sanity at 4am for my own personal amusement is the best part, the half day streams kinda lose that.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I can't believe Danny left Gamespot to become a pro Overwatcher

Actually, I'm pretty sure he's going to become a professional Giant Bomb fan. He's going to reupload all their videos on his Youtube channel and "react" to them. I'm told the kids today are into those reaction videos.

oti

Banned
I mean, there's a natural explanation for that. The original Xbox was so big that you needed a fucking CASTLE to house it. So unless you were friends with any European monarchs it's entirely to be expected that you never saw one.

Fun fact: I'm friends with a French girl who's family has some ties to royalty and they do have a castle-ish building in France.

Sakwoff

My embarrassment empathy is too strong. I think that Nintendo press event with the guy trying to ask question in Japanese that Jeff mentioned would have killed me.

Man, I feel you there.

I cannot deal with most audience Q&A type panels at conventions for example. Even if they aren't particularly cringey, the general constellation of these things is enough. Watching the GB PAX panels is actually physically taxing for me.

Edit: shit, now I have to remember that "engage meme" guy at one of the Ubi E3 things. I think I yanked my headphones off during that one.

Man went to play Farcry 4 just on a whim this morning and looks like some hacker got into my Uplay account and stuck 2FA on it. Bummer. Now I gotta resolve that first.

I thought Moto Racer looked okay during Demo Derby, so I googled searched it...

http://store.steampowered.com/app/417430/

It's coming back!
(on PS4 and Xbone too)

Remember Motor Racer? It's back.... ....in pog form.

But seriously, looking at that new game, it's missing that "charm" of the demo version. The graphics of the demo were obviously awful by today's standards, but I kinda dug the look of it. Even the guys seemed to be impressed by how parts of it seemingly held up (especially the frame rate). I'd actually be really interested if they remade the original game with that look, but tightened up the controls (which looked very finicky).

What was Brad hinting at with the Xbox cross-buy stuff in that Strike Vector QL?

Seem like he knows something that he can't share yet.

Wonder what that could be.

repeater

While this thead is occupied with taking potshots at Brad, he is busy transforming himself into Ruddy Scoops, intrepid newsman and third of that name (after Patrick and Danny Scoops).

bjork

The first bombcast with Dan and Jason came on while I was at work last night, and Jason's saying something about anime. Dan's like, "did you hire a 12 year old?" Jeff says, "yep, we did. 12 year old, must like wrestling." I laughed, good one, Jeff. :)

I downloaded Google Translate after Drew talked about it and It's super cool to take a picture of this Japanese PS1 demo and see the text translated.

I use it a lot on JP iOS games, it's super helpful.

Top Bottom