• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

oti

Banned
Well, Jeff played the rest of them with that bait and switch.

Besides, Jeff and Dan played a lot of it at home too, it was a bit different from the Hitman situation.

Hitman is way better than Mario Maker but the ways of the world are often unjust.

Not today, Satan.
Not today.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
It was pretty funny when they made a list of the must have WiiU games on the last Bombcast and Mario Maker was like #6 on the list when Jeff quietly mumbled it

People are stalking me on Google too...

qOxYM35.png

PS: Time to change my name to 'Keyser "Nasty" Soze'

So dumb question but I'm kind of new to GB but what it like before Ryan passed and what was it like after? Has it affected their output? I don't mean that in terms of quantity, but Vinny said in an interview about how GB bounced back following his death that he couldn't and wouldn't want to do the same stuff they used to, and I'm not sure what that is. I know the guys have lost weight, Jeff and a Brad specifically. I notice they only have diet soda any time they're drinking it. I don't know how to parse this question without coming off as an insensitive ass.

So dumb question but I'm kind of new to GB but what it like before Ryan passed and what was it like after? Has it affected their output? I don't mean that in terms of quantity, but Vinny said in an interview about how GB bounced back following his death that he couldn't and wouldn't want to do the same stuff they used to, and I'm not sure what that is. I know the guys have lost weight, Jeff and a Brad specifically. I notice they only have diet soda any time they're drinking it. I don't know how to parse this question without coming off as an insensitive ass.

There was a pretty serious drought afterwards for sure, there was content but it just didn't seem like anyone was into it, you can definitely tell it affected Jeff a lot. I think Dan coming in helped a lot with Jeff and getting them back on track. And honestly it was great before he passed but this last year has probably been the best Giant Bomb has ever been, so they've definitely bounced back.

EDIT: I don't want to dismiss Jason's impact either, he was just as important to the "rebirth" if you will of GB.

So dumb question but I'm kind of new to GB but what it like before Ryan passed and what was it like after? Has it affected their output? I don't mean that in terms of quantity, but Vinny said in an interview about how GB bounced back following his death that he couldn't and wouldn't want to do the same stuff they used to, and I'm not sure what that is.

Mind I didn't follow GB pre-Dan but my understanding is that his passing really tanked GB's output for a bit there. He was a very important member of the group and was a genuine void. Luckily they were able to hang on for the worst time and eventually got Jason and Dan who really helped bring things back to the usual.

No idea what part you're talking about with Vinny though.

Mind I didn't follow GB pre-Dan but my understanding is that his passing really tanked GB's output for a bit there. He was a very important member of the group and was a genuine void. Luckily they were able to hang on for the worst time and eventually got Jason and Dan who really helped bring things back to the usual.

No idea what part you're talking about with Vinny though.

http://www.vice.com/read/how-games-...ack-from-the-death-of-its-founding-editor-123

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I didn't play much of Titanfall 1 but I remember Jeff hating the Cybertron games on the 360 and I think it's kind of funny because all the Titan stuff in Titanfall 2 reminds me a LOT of those games multiplayer. Like some of the classes are almost carbon copies like the Brute.

Ryan Davis was a genius and easily as important to GB as Jeff was. So naturally his death had a huuuge effect on the site. The rest of 2013 and most of 2014 suffered because of it. I don't want to speculate on their lifestyle changes following his passing , but I feel Jeff stepped up in a big way as the leader of the site as him and Ryan were pretty much partners running the site before hand. Jeff also talked about how liberal Ryan was and how much he cared about not offending the users. This was a guy who accidentally said a slur in a stream and immediately posted a written apology about it. He was amazing.

To this day, nothing brings a smile to my face as much as watching content with Ryan.

kiguel182

There's a Ryan tribute podcast? I only started watching Giant Bomb after he was gone but I've seen stuff with him in and I don't know if I could listen to that. Even seeing some of the content closer to his death makes me sad sometimes.

Kimaka

There was a pretty serious drought afterwards for sure, there was content but it just didn't seem like anyone was into it, you can definitely tell it affected Jeff a lot. I think Dan coming in helped a lot with Jeff and getting them back on track. And honestly it was great before he passed but this last year has probably been the best Giant Bomb has ever been, so they've definitely bounced back.

EDIT: I don't want to dismiss Jason's impact either, he was just as important to the "rebirth" if you will of GB.

Also I want to add that Drew helped out in a big way. He was more of a behind the scenes guy back then. Now he is a regular in the podcast and shows up in a lot more video content.

There's a Ryan tribute podcast? I only started watching Giant Bomb after he was gone but I've seen stuff with him in and I don't know if I could listen to that. Even seeing some of the content closer to his death makes me sad sometimes.

There was a podcast recorded and published one day after they announced on the site that Ryan had passed away.

That was the day I learned that truly nothing will ever stop the bombcast!

Dineren

Banned
i know some didn't like his content, but Patrick's stuff pretty much carried me through that time. I probably wouldn't have renewed my premium without him.

Like others have said, output was lower. It wasn't just due to the unfortunate passing of Ryan. Patrick, months prior, had moved to Chicago (although he remained with the site for another year and a half). So, with Patrick having moved coupled with Ryan's death (which happened on the anniversary of Patrick's father's death), they only had Jeff, Brad, Vinny, and Drew in the office, with Alex out in New York, having moved there prior. The following spring, Vinny moved to New York to join Alex and officially launch Giant Bomb East. For months, the West Coast was just down to Jeff, Brad, and Drew. A few months later, Dan and Jason were hired and officially introduced shortly after E3 2014. Then the following year, just months before E3 2015, Austin Walker was added to the East Coast team, but left just after E3 2016. Since then, it was announced that Dan would be shifting over to the East coast team and the West coast team will hire someone to fill Dan's void. I often wonder what Giant Bomb would look like today if Ryan hadn't passed. Would Dan and/or Jason have been hired? Would there be a Giant Bomb East? They weathered some tough times, but came away from it pretty strong.

Tubobutts

The thing I remember after Ryan passed was that all quick looks would have the full crew on them (with Drew in the control room).

Which makes sense in a way.

Also I want to add that Drew helped out in a big way. He was more of a behind the scenes guy back then. Now he is a regular in the podcast and shows up in a lot more video content.

Very true, they all handled it in the best way I think, and really pulled together and used everyones strengths to keep the site going and content coming.

strafer

The tribute cast was the last bombcast i listened to. I cant bring myself to listen to it without Ryan, it might sound weird but that is how I feel. Im sure the fellas are doing great though.

repeater

The tribute cast was the last bombcast i listened to. I cant bring myself to listen to it without Ryan, it might sound weird but that is how I feel. Im sure the fellas are doing great though.
Wow. Not questioning your decision or anything -- you absolutely shouldn't listen if it doesn't feel right for you, and I think I kinda understand. But it's pretty mindblowing to me that a regular in here hasn't listened to a Bombcast in what is now a pretty long time. :)

StoveOven

Banned
While the circumstances that led to it are obviously horrible, the ascension of Drew into everyday content was one of the best things to happen to Giant Bomb. There are some great podcasts in the short-lived Jeff/Brad/Vinny/Drew era.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Didn't Drew used to be an intern or something at first? Or was that just a jokey title? Kessler was an intern, too, right?

He just used to be a control room/flight simulator guy. They badly needed somebody since Ryan and Patrick were gone so he did more QLs and got on the Bombcast.

What does daddy mean

Tell me. TELL ME.

i think it means what you think it does lol but my post was referencing the part where the thread can get weird when such questions pop up

It did affect their output because honestly they are basically a family who lost a very important member. But as a side effect everyone stepped up to the plate and continued pushing (Drew in particular by becoming a more regular member in videos, podcasts).

Then Dan and Jason came in to help out and bring back the energy.

But man even to this day i imagine what Ryan's interactions to Dan would have been like given the craziness of Dan's life and it makes me sad.

kai3345

Banned
Didn't Drew used to be an intern or something at first? Or was that just a jokey title? Kessler was an intern, too, right?

i dont think he was really an intern, I think they just hired him to do odd jobs like send out t shirt orders and stuff and then he told them he also did video editing and they were like "oh shit ok" and hired him full time

i think

StoveOven

Banned
Looking through QLCrew real quick, the earliest video with Drew that I could find was the Coke Challenge from early 2009. In it, Jeff refers to him as "video intern", so I guess he did technically start as an intern, but he hasn't been one for a while

f0rk

Does anyone have a link to Jeff's PC specs?

Doom didn't run very well on my 5 year old PC so I didn't get that far, and people are raving about Titanfall in a similar way so thinking about an upgrade. Nvidia aren't fucking around with their prices are they? Everything looks about the same or cheaper (especially memory) but the recommended cards are £400+, am I going to lose much getting a 1060 instead? I only have a 1080p monitor.

Does anyone have a link to Jeff's PC specs?

Doom didn't run very well on my 5 year old PC so I didn't get that far, and people are raving about Titanfall in a similar way so thinking about an upgrade. Nvidia aren't fucking around with their prices are they? Everything looks about the same or cheaper (especially memory) but the recommended cards are £400+, am I going to lose much getting a 1060 instead? I only have a 1080p monitor.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/nZ298K

Tubobutts

I think Drew was originally a t-shirt shipper, then became a video intern, and then was hired as a full time video producer.

hamchan

I just want to give props to Vinny for being a great podcast host and being real smart by making people take turns in reading the news, emails, and corrections, which keeps them pretty active instead of sleepy.

Rainmaker

Banned
I think Drew was originally a t-shirt shipper, then became a video intern, and then was hired as a full time video producer.

Yeah. This is it. I believe he was a t-shirt shipper for Whiskey Media. GB needed another video guy so he "interned" for a little bit and then moved up

Every single GB guy deserves props for stepping up. Brad is a great Bombcast host and it was awesome when Jeff gave him the spot permanently.

Jeff's revelation on the Beastcast that EA sent reps to different review outlets so that they could sit and watch the reviewer play the game so that the rep could make sure that the reviewer "got it" had me reeling.

That is super creepy and awkward. Brilliant conversation on the Beastcast.

Anjin M

I think my favorite part of the Ryan tribute cast was when Jeff started in on DSiware. Such a great tension break.

Quick looks right afterward we're strange since Jeff, Brad, and Vinny would all be in them. It was almost as though they felt they needed two people to fill the hole left by Ryan.

I'm pretty sure Drew has told the story of being hired to fold shirts, then admitting that he also knew video editing.

Zaph

Jeff's revelation on the Beastcast that EA sent reps to different review outlets so that they could sit and watch the reviewer play the game so that the rep could make sure that the reviewer "got it" had me reeling.

That is super creepy and awkward. Brilliant conversation on the Beastcast.

Ubisoft feeling "betrayed" and "misled" killed me. Get the fuck over yourselves - they're reviewing your video game, not dating.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I just want to give props to Vinny for being a great podcast host and being real smart by making people take turns in reading the news, emails, and corrections, which keeps them pretty active instead of sleepy.
Some of Vinny's directing feels like he's a frustrated Bombcast listener

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom