• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am listening to the Ryan Davis tribute podcast. It's time.

Listened only once, never again.

There was a pretty serious drought afterwards for sure, there was content but it just didn't seem like anyone was into it, you can definitely tell it affected Jeff a lot. I think Dan coming in helped a lot with Jeff and getting them back on track. And honestly it was great before he passed but this last year has probably been the best Giant Bomb has ever been, so they've definitely bounced back.

EDIT: I don't want to dismiss Jason's impact either, he was just as important to the "rebirth" if you will of GB.

Yeah, I stopped following the site after Ryan passed away for a year or so and this is coming from someone who's been following them since 2004. I came back to a few new but wonderful faces though. Ryan will forever be missed.

Drewmi Scanllonen.

I don't know why but that reminded me of this.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
It's very different compared to Team Fortress Classic, you should give it a chance

TF2 is fantastic. Medic or Pyro are good starter classes. Avoid Spy.

Ohohoho!
Are the comedy clubs closed today? (Also medic is a good starter? Are you high?)

Was it a "I don't care for the gameplay" kind of didn't care, or just a disinterest?

I like games that reward teamplay, like BF1 and if all stars align Overwatch. The 4 hours I played of TF1 were just lone wolfing.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I don't agree with that order (if you ordered it), but those are the exact 5 games I'm thinking of too (unless of course something comes along that we aren't expecting).

I think Overwatch might struggle to make top 5 actually. Dan likes it, but he doesn't talk about it a lot, and Jeff seems super apathetic towards it

It didn't ever seem to quite catch on with the crew the way Rocket League did last year

I think that Hitman deserves GOTY (in an abstract sense) for a variety of distinct reasons, but I'll be happy to see it make top 3, which I'm almost certain it will

robotrock

Banned
Playing Medic is also what got me into Team Fortress 2.

I like games that reward teamplay, like BF1 and if all stars align Overwatch. The 4 hours I played of TF1 were just lone wolfing.

Don't think you'd like Titanfall then. Very much a lone wolf game IMO for the majority of matches. Once everyone gets their big Titans it can get pretty teamwork heavy though, but not the kind that needs BF1/Overwatch communication

StoveOven

Banned
I think Overwatch might struggle to make top 5 actually. Dan likes it, but he doesn't talk about it a lot, and Jeff seems super apathetic towards it

It didn't ever seem to quite catch on with the crew the way Rocket League did last year

I think you're underestimating how much Vinny and Alex like Overwatch. It's also one of the only games that they all enjoyed to at least some extent, and I'd say it caught on much more than Rocket League did.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Don't think you'd like Titanfall then. Very much a lone wolf game IMO for the majority of matches. Once everyone gets their big Titans it can get pretty teamwork heavy though, but not the kind that needs BF1/Overwatch communication

Yeah, that's what I thought. I'm more into the BF1 style of "let's do this as a squad". Never been a big CoD fan for that reason

Playing Medic is what allowed me to get into TF2 (despite being awful at FPS' at the time) and learn the maps! But this was vanilla TF2 a decade ago.

The only map you need to know is 2Fort

No one loved Overwatch as much as Jeff and Brad loved Doom, but most of the team played a hell of a lot of it. I could see Vinny, Alex, Jason and Dan going to bat for it- not enough to get it over Doom, but enough for it to place very highly.

robotrock

Banned
Don't forget about Austin, he gets a prerecorded spot to try and get a game released within the first six months of 2016 onto the list.

It's "Fall 2".

There.

Jeff's revelation on the Beastcast that EA sent reps to different review outlets so that they could sit and watch the reviewer play the game so that the rep could make sure that the reviewer "got it" had me reeling.

That is super creepy and awkward. Brilliant conversation on the Beastcast.

I need to remember where that Alex story about GTA4 came from. Like, "dude not leaving your hotel room after dropping off the disc at this review soiree unless told" awkward.

Listened only once, never again.

Yeah, I stopped following the site after Ryan passed away for a year or so and this is coming from someone who's been following them since 2004. I came back to a few new but wonderful faces though. Ryan will forever be missed.

I don't know why but that reminded me of this.

The end 20-odd minutes of that was...tough. It had this, "this is the last 'Ryan Output' from Giant Bomb, ever" finality to it, a final closing door. Very heavy to me.

Megasoum

Banned
I was bored with nothing to do while waiting for Titanfall to download and then I just remembered that I subscribed to the Youtube Channel that uploaded a bunch of Screened videos.... I miss that site so much

Ah that's a shame. Rolling out with a squad in Titanfall was a blast, but you're right in that the main game had very little in the way of rewarding team play. It was really nice to say "punch this guy off my back" as I walked over to another teammate.

I have been playing Titanfall 2 all night. I think I might be having more fun with it than DOOM.

The campaign isn't as good (still really good, especially the last hour!) but god damn that multiplayer is exceptional.

The feeling you get tearing through titans, everyone once in a while defeating a titan as a pilot (especially after ejecting), the motherfucking ultimates, escaping at the end of rounds, sliding round corners to fuck up campers, using Stim boost to run across half the map in 5 seconds. Really, really good stuff.

It's an absolute sin EA released this when they did by the way. Feel like it would have been an absolute monster otherwise due to word of mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom