• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meneses

That real-time Hitman would be awesome.

And it wouldn't have to change the current formula, they could make it an extra mode or something, and keep the main game as it is.

Jintor

i just played a half hour of furi.

it's nearly what i'm looking for but it's not quite there. Something feels off about it. It's pretty damn close though, but it's just not quite as responsive as I want.

maybe the lack of hitstop, maybe it's just that I find it impossible to tell whether an enemy is going to tank my hits or auto-magically dodge them (at least right off the bat, I'm sure if I play it obsessively I'd learn to detect it off the top of my head), or that there doesn't seem to be a point to knocking an enemy down with the 4-hit combo since it doesn't seem to actually do much beisdes give you a second of breathing room. And you don't react much to getting hit either which means sometimes I look up and oh I have no health weird.

it's pretttty gooood though

Meneses

Aren't elusive targets kinda that?

A little bit, yeah, but not to the scale they mentioned.

i just played a half hour of furi.

there doesn't seem to be a point to knocking an enemy down with the 4-hit combo since it doesn't seem to actually do much beisdes give you a second of breathing room.

The knockdown is good to give you time to fully charge up your sword so your next hit will take out a lot of the enemy's health, which is pretty useful in those close quarters phases.

Or, as you say, a bit of breathing room which is very welcome in some situations.

Kirby is probably the best game that will end up on no individual list.

I think Dan was the only one that played any of it at all, and he kind of just did the thing he does with all major Nintendo releases where he goes "yeah this is neat!", they make a fun Quick Look, and then it disappears from his life forever.

Strax

That real-time Hitman would be awesome.

And it wouldn't have to change the current formula, they could make it an extra mode or something, and keep the main game as it is.

I'm not sure we heard the same podcast.

They were basically asking for every NPC to have a home, working hours, interests and so forth and be able to go off script at 'random' like not going out on friday. While the idea is good it can't be done, at least not now, let alone in the new Hitman with some extra mode. Sure, you could have the targets act like they have a life outside of being stuck at fashion show forever while other NPCs don't but that would break the small immersion the game already has.

I do think they could do better with the NPCs. Make them less robotic so to speak. I 100% understand the NPCs have routes they need to follow but needing to see them or be in the same area as them to trigger the routes might be my least fav. thing about the game.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
So... Why is Danny getting free games from publishers?

Isn't his whole thing about being independant and choosing documentarie's subject by how interesting the story would be?

I dunno... It feels weird.

Not quite sure what you mean here. I doubt he is covering Doom cause Bethesda sent him a copy of it?

Meneses

I'm not sure we heard the same podcast.

They were basically asking for every NPC to have a home, working hours, interests and so forth and be able to go off script at 'random' like not going out on friday. While the idea is good it can't be done, at least not now, let alone in the new Hitman with some extra mode. Sure, you could have the targets act like they have a life outside of being stuck at fashion show forever while other NPCs don't but that would break the small immersion the game already has.

I do think they could do better with the NPCs. Make them less robotic so to speak. I 100% understand the NPCs have routes they need to follow but needing to see them or be in the same area as them to trigger the routes might be my least fav. thing about the game.

I didn't mean that it could be done right now. I meant that they didn't need to make a hypothetical entire game like that, which would be overwhelming as some of the duders were saying; they could just reserve a special mode for the "hitman 24/7" stuff and keep the normal game as it is now.

Zaph

FFXV opening title card might be my favourite opening title card of all time.

Should have held it back until later.

I get what they're going for, but the moment along with the Stand By Me cover feels too early because you don't ever really know the characters yet.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Should have held it back until later.

I get what they're going for, but the moment along with the Stand By Me cover feels too early because you don't ever really know the characters yet.

I don't need to know the characters, I just need to look at these visual kei looking motherfuckers and the thing that is happening around them.

Also oh god, texas and yosuke are seriously distracting as all hell haha.

derFeef

I think I am going to skip every Pro part in the cast, it's just awful how biased they are and also wrong.

Bless Alex and Vinny though.

They are not really biased, but everyone seems be on a different knowledge level about the games, the support of games, their modes and differences. Mix in early 4K TV jank and misisng technical knowledge - it's just a bad discussion all around. Not really their fault, but that was to be expected imo.

Lunar FC

I think I am going to skip every Pro part in the cast, it's just awful how biased they are and also wrong.

������

Edit: If you expected knowledgeable and informed coversations you came to the wrong pod.

They are not really biased, but everyone seems be on a different knowledge level about the games, the support of games, their modes and differences. Mix in early 4K TV jank and misisng technical knowledge - it's just a bad discussion all around. Not really their fault, but that was to be expected imo.

Yeah this, never go to Giant Bomb for anything technical on games. They know just enough to be dangerous and spout some half-informed nonsense. Even Bakalar, the "tech guy". To be fair it is all incredible arcane, with all the different rendering modes the Pro does, and more than ever you have to be a fucking A/V expert to make heads or tails of this shit.

Yeah this, never go to Giant Bomb for anything technical on games. They know just enough to be dangerous and spout some half-informed nonsense. Even Bakalar, the "tech guy". To be fair it is all incredible arcane, with all the different rendering modes the Pro does, and more than ever you have to be a fucking A/V expert to make heads or tails of this shit.

Yeah, maybe I should lower my expectations when it comes to this. But I thought, those guys mostly play on PC and they would eventually now about simple stuff like downsampling and so on.

Whatever, Pro is confusing to people, that I can see, because there is simply no way to mandate developers without pissing them off.

Zaph

Eh. Yeah, they've got some things wrong, but I bought a Pro on day 1 and their general tone and frustration mimics my own.

Sony have done themselves no favours with system-level messaging to let the user know they're in 'Pro Mode' and what the particular game is doing (4k/higher res, framerate, HDR etc). TV compatibility is a minefield, thanks in part for HDR being an unfinished spec at time of release.

I can't really blame anyone for getting stuff wrong right now, shit is a mess
(but I don't regret buying it, it was a fair price and I wanted a PS4 anyway).

I wish Square Enix Japan could make more console games.

FFXV is weird game but the music and overall presentation still scratches that Final Fantasy itch I needed scratched.

FFXV sure in a thing though. You can tell this shit has been worked on for years and years and had all the money in the world tossed into it.

derFeef

Don't get me even started. The guys know they are not that knowledgable about some stuff. But Bakalar can't even admit that he was wrong, which is very often the case.

Meneses

I don't think i'm ever getting a PS4 Pro. My interest in it is only slightly bigger than VR, which is zero. Hopefully they won't do the shitty thing of optimizing the games for Pro as the default and leaving the regular PS4 "behind".

But I did think it was funny when Brad was saying good Pro updates are a minority and then Vinny mentions like 4 or 5 games which are notoriously better and Brad was almost going "Right, there's that one. And that one. And that one. And..."

In the end Brad might even be technically right (I have no idea, haven't kept up with Pro news), but it was a funny, almost contradictory moment.

Not really seeing that. Especially when Hitman has maps like Colorado, Mary Kish, and Bangkok

Even with just 3 great maps, Hitman is way better than Doom.

Yeah I noticed that too, not a bias just their lack of knowledge about the Pro. Like the last couple episodes Brad made a huge sticking point about the 2 games that performed a few frames worse on the Pro, even though it's running the games at 1800p downsampled to 1080p on a 1080p display, so it's not running at stock PS4 specs and performing worse like Brad seemed to think, it's rendering the game a much higher resolution. Those games were later fixed with patches (Deus Ex and Skyrim for example) also which I don't believe they mentioned, and then on the most recent episode or the one before someone brought up Tomb Raider and Ratchet and Clank looking nice on the Pro and Brad just completely dismisses it saying only a few games have real noticeable differences while at the same time making the couple of games that perform slightly worse seem like a much bigger deal. Maybe I misinterpreted what his meaning was, or if he genuinely doesn't understand the differences between the Pro and standard modes, but yeah I get were you're coming from.

Plasma

Banned
Yeah I noticed that too, not a bias just their lack of knowledge about the Pro. Like the last couple episodes Brad made a huge sticking point about the 2 games that performed a few frames worse on the Pro, even though it's running the games at 1800p downsampled to 1080p on a 1080p display, so it's not running at stock PS4 specs and performing worse like Brad seemed to think, it's rendering the game a much higher resolution. Those games were later fixed with patches (Deus Ex and Skyrim for example) also which I don't believe they mentioned, and then on the most recent episode or the one before someone brought up Tomb Raider and Ratchet and Clank looking nice on the Pro and Brad just completely dismisses it saying only a few games have real noticeable differences while at the same time making the couple of games that perform slightly worse seem like a much bigger deal. Maybe I misinterpreted what his meaning was, or if he genuinely doesn't understand the differences between the Pro and standard modes, but yeah I get were you're coming from.
He isn't wrong though it shouldn't matter if it's just dropping a few frames the Pro version should always be doing better or on par with the base version in every aspect. I think Sony really dropped the ball at launch and rushed a lot of these patches to make the deadline.

I hope at least two of the guys finish FFXV. Jason and Brad seem like the two candidates. I want to hear discussions about this game in the GotY deliberations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom