• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johndoey

Banned
FFXV is alright, stinks of money, obvious rough spots, a lot of the texture work is rough and the lip syncing is awful.

The car magnetizes to the road which feels weird.

Don't care a lick about the plot but I like the characters well enough.

hamchan

I wish Square Enix Japan could make more console games.

FFXV is weird game but the music and overall presentation still scratches that Final Fantasy itch I needed scratched.

FFXV sure in a thing though. You can tell this shit has been worked on for years and years and had all the money in the world tossed into it.

That's why I love Final Fantasy. Every entry these days is just Square making their own fucking weird thing while also throwing a whole ton of money at it.

Scizzy

Vinny's witness burn was great. A much need presence on the podcast. He evens out the negativity and the cast balances out his tangents

The Jeff/Brad/Vinny troika was perfectly balanced between straight men, wacky men, enthusiastic men, cynical men, and knowledgeable men. Splitting them up has definitely left us with two podcasts that can't reach the heights of the original group.
and of course missing Ryan, the absolute master of the medium.

Curufinwe

How are they biased against the PS4Pro?

Telling people not to buy one based on Brad's woefully inaccurate summation of how many games look and run better on the Pro qualifies, I think. If you want an unbiased look at the positives and negatives, go to DF, not GB. "giant mess" is a Trumpian level of exaggeration.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-playstation-4-pro-game-upgrade-guide

Wow, he's even trying to deny that Infamous has a 60 fps option on Pro.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1316487

Catvoca

Banned
Brad doesn't like the pro and is telling people not to buy one. It's called opinion, not bias. It's no different from him saying not to get a game he doesn't like.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I mean honestly, I have a pro, and I must say that if I want to get one on the merit of the games right now, I won't bother if I already have a ps4 original, but I find it weird that brad doesn't really account that future games will be developed with the pro as a consideration beforehand. Treating the current weirdness, which can be attributed to developers having to account for the pro mid-development, as the status quo going forward seems weirdly short-sighted?

I mean the first game I finished on my pro is Gravity rush remastered so having pro graphics isn't my biggest criteria to consider when buying games, but whatever, future proofing and all that jazz. Running it on my 24" computer monitor too.

oti

Banned
Giant Bomb is a fun website with fun people who know nothing about tech or the business side of the video game industry. That's alright though, I'm not here for these things.

Curufinwe

Brad doesn't like the pro and is telling people not to buy one. It's called opinion, not bias. It's no different from him saying not to get a game he doesn't like.

Opinions based on ignorance aren't worth much.

Jason tries to tell him that Infamous has a 60 fps mode, which is a fact, and he's so committed to his anti-Pro stance that he refuses to believe it, and Jeff chimes in with some misinformation, too. I'm gonna document this classic Giant Bomb tech moment here it for posterity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iD_hcP75KI

- 1800p checkerboard with 30fps cap or unlocked framerate (High-Resolution mode)
- 1080p 60fps (most of the time) (High-Framerate mode)

Jason: "Infamous is running at 60 now, right"

Brad: "What?"

Jason: "I heard Infamous is running at 60 now."

Jeff: "No."

Brad: "I highly doubt that."

Jason: "I think there is an option for that."

Brad: "Really?"

Jeff: "There is a higher frame rate option, but definitely not 60".

Brad: "It always had an unlocked frame rate option."

I mean honestly, I have a pro, and I must say that if I want to get one on the merit of the games right now, I won't bother if I already have a ps4 original, but I find it weird that brad doesn't really account that future games will be developed with the pro as a consideration beforehand. Treating the current weirdness, which can be attributed to developers having to account for the pro mid-development, seems weirdly short-sighted?
If/when that happens, then sure. But right now? Why spend the money? Remember Brad was talking in the context of upgrading. It's a given that new PS4 owners should get a Pro.

Zaph

I mean honestly, I have a pro, and I must say that if I want to get one on the merit of the games right now, I won't bother if I already have a ps4 original, but I find it weird that brad doesn't really account that future games will be developed with the pro as a consideration beforehand. Treating the current weirdness, which can be attributed to developers having to account for the pro mid-development, seems weirdly short-sighted?

I didn't agree with all of Brad's criticisms, but judging a product by what it is right now, and not what it might be in the future, is the responsible pro-consumer thing to do. When those games arrive, he's free to change his opinion.

It's a stance I'm glad to see more and more technology sites adopt (Tested, The Verge etc). This industry has allowed itself to get far too caught up in the promise of what's to come.

robotrock

Banned
Opinions based on ignorance aren't worth much.

Jason tries to tell him that Infamous has a 60 fps mode, which is a fact, and he's so committed to his anti-Pro stance that he refuses to believe it.

They played Infamous on a Pro and thought it wasn't 60fps.

I'm looking at videos right now and it seems like sure, higher framerate, but it's definitely not a stable 60 in any way.
The Pro should have had a 4K bluray drive. Like, really really should have.

Would have easily bought one if it had it. (also if Planet Earth 2 was gonna have a 4k bluray this year)

Antiwhippy

Oh for sure, that's why I didn't buy any of the consoles day one.

Except for portables. I have less qualms about that when it comes to portables for whatever reason.

robotrock

Banned
Imma get the Xbox One S just because of Earth 2 lol.

Yeah seriously. I was feeling pretty burned about buying an Xbox because now all first party stuff is probably coming to PC, but now I'm definitely thinking I'll probably upgrade mine for the 4k bluray stuff.

How did you fuck up 4k bluray support SONY??

Though the Pro chat on the bombcast had some big issues by your accounts, I was still convinced not to even think about buying one.

There is a certain pleasant peace of mind that used to come with console ownership. I'd plug the HDMI cable in, plug it into power, turn it on and go. The PS4 pro sounds like too much of a quagmire for me (and thus the average consumer, probably), and I'd always wonder in the back of my mind if I'd optimized the setup. Every variable that gets added makes things even murkier. Real vs fake 4k, different types of HDMI ports, different quality HDMI cables, I don't even know if there are different levels of HDR, there's no universal standards for the labeling of games that support it (ie the nonsensical mode names in game menus).

Long story short, the details of yesterday's podcast might have been off, but none of these corrections are enough to change the feeling I get when I imagine shelling out for one, trying to set it up, and then never being sure if I fucked it up.

I will say HDR sounds like it is still some wild west bullshit right now.

Maybe the next wave of TV's will make that process a little more automatic in the future. Way too much settings fuckery now.

Patryn

I hope at least two of the guys finish FFXV. Jason and Brad seem like the two candidates. I want to hear discussions about this game in the GotY deliberations.

Given that deliberations are almost certainly happening this week (possibly have already started), I'd say the odds of this happening is about zero.

I thought my Brad joke would land with more of you, I was wrong :(

Anyway, my GOTY top 10 in no particular order:
Hitman
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Dark Souls 3
Dragon Quest Builders
Salt & Sanctuary
Firewatch
Pokemon Moon
The Witness
Uncharted 4

I'm leaving the last spot open for FFXV because it will almost certainly be there, I'm loving it so far. It just wouldn't seem fair to put it on there before I've finished it.

Those games were later fixed with patches (Deus Ex and Skyrim for example) also which I don't believe they mentioned, and then on the most recent episode or the one before someone brought up Tomb Raider and Ratchet and Clank looking nice on the Pro and Brad just completely dismisses it saying only a few games have real noticeable differences while at the same time making the couple of games that perform slightly worse seem like a much bigger deal. Maybe I misinterpreted what his meaning was, or if he genuinely doesn't understand the differences between the Pro and standard modes, but yeah I get were you're coming from.

The crazy part about Deus Ex was that it actually ran better than the OG PS4 version (sans patch even). DF put up that video showing the beginning of the game, where bad stuff happened, but upon a proper inspection of the game,they found out that the average framerate was better on top of the better visuals/locked v-sync. The thing that upsets me is when The Last of Us is mentioned. DF even flat out say in their that the frame rate is worse in the 60fps mode when all it really is, is a 3-4 fps difference. I feel like people just hear "worse" and automatically begin to shit on the Pro without any knowledge of what the situation really is. DF should have said that it runs slightly worse in some areas compared to the OG PS4. It's not like the 60fps mode runs perfectly on the OG PS4 anyways! Doesn't it drop down to the low 50's very occasionally, when tons of enemies and effects are on screen? Also the Batman collection! Brad mentions that Arkham City runs at 60fps on the Pro while Asylum is 30fps as if it's somehow the hardwares fault. The fact of the matter is that the devs decided to cap the framerate for Asylum and didn't for Arkham City. The fact that Arkham City runs better than the OG PS4 (all without announcing a patch, which makes everything seem like an error) makes the Pro version better anyways so I don't even know what Brad was getting at when he mentioned Batman.

On top of everything, I'm pretty sure that all the games that were listed as running worse on the Pro have been fixed/proved to run better now (barring The Last of Us).

I can name:

Skyrim
Deus Ex Mankind Divided
Watch_Dogs 2

All of those above have been fixed now. I can't think of other games either, and I looked up some articles on Google to see if I am missing any. The argument that 'games run worse on the pro' feels completely dead at the moment. I love GiantBomb to death, and I can relate with people, like Kenzodielocke, who skip all the Pro discussion whenever it comes up. But at the same time, I can understand why people, like the GBomb crew, are frustrated because 4K TV's are a confusing mess at the moment.

strafer

really? how people eating chips is a problem?

i feel sorry for humanity, you cant do anything without being critical.

I eat hamburgers with a fork and knife. FUCKING SUE ME, I DONT WANNA GET GREAT ON MY HANDS!!!

I once got kicked out from a resturant when eating with instruments. I wonder if I could have sued them.

Given that deliberations are almost certainly happening this week (possibly have already started), I'd say the odds of this happening is about zero.

Well apparently the game takes around 20-25 hours to beat if you stick to the main story. I think they could finish the game if they really wanted to.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I hope at least two of the guys finish FFXV. Jason and Brad seem like the two candidates. I want to hear discussions about this game in the GotY deliberations.
That game doesn't seem like something that'll gain any traction on any goty lists on this site. Especially if they're recording deliberations and content right now. They'd get a handful of hours in most likely.

Well apparently the game takes around 20-25 hours to beat if you stick to the main story. I think they could finish the game if they really wanted to.
Going to burst the bubble and say they won't. That would be unprecedented.

Antiwhippy

Audio my assessment of ffvx 3 hours in is that it's super dumb in a way i really like.

It's like if you replace David Lynch from deadly promotion with jpop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom