• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I would feel dirty putting out a top 10 right now when I still havne't played Space Hulk: Deathwing, ReCore, Mirror's Edge: Catalyst, Final Fantasy XV, Pokemon Sun, Dragon Quest 7, Yokai Watch 2 and a whole nother bunch of shit that came out this year.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I would feel dirty putting out a top 10 right now when I still havne't played Space Hulk: Deathwing, ReCore, Mirror's Edge: Catalyst, Final Fantasy XV, Pokemon Sun, Dragon Quest 7, Yokai Watch 2 and a whole nother bunch of shit that came out this year.

If it makes you feel better, I imagine on average Giant Bomb will have played less than one of those games each and they have no problems with a top ten.

I remember electing to play only like 2 games in 2014. This real is remarkable not only in that there are so many good games, but so many games I want to play.

Speaking of The Old Games I'm gonna play through either Planescape Torment or Mother 3 over the holiday break and the decision mostly depends on how well GBA emulation works on RetroPie.

punch club is such a confusing thing. like... with some balancing it could be fun but it's kind of fundamentally fucked as-is

Yeah, totally. It seems designed around constant "training," but it really should've been just level-based with grinding, like Dragonball Xenoverse, instead of that horrible Sisyphean management nightmare it actually was. After the first four hours, any lost progress just felt like a slap in the face that set me back 40 minutes. It felt like I was simply dumping time into it for progress rather than actually playing to progress. The whole thing was a shame because I really wanted to like it.

I sort of wonder if it was supposed to be a free-to-play game with in-app convenience purchases, given how brutally it was designed. Suddenly the sheer ruthlessness of the management side would make more sense.

All that said, having played Darkest Dungeon now I suppose that was what Punch Club was going for; something that could have setbacks, but still feel like a progression was taking place. But the thing is, Darkest Dungeon has a bunch of progression failsafes to prevent a feeling of "starting from zero," so that you always return with something more than you lost and can always build up again easier than before. It is a stupidly dense game in terms of mechanics, but that works to its benefit, so it never feels stale. (Meanwhile Punch Club takes 90% of its sparse mechanics out of your hands.)

So, yeah, Darkest Dungeon is pretty rad. It made me realise that Alex is my spirit animal.

StoveOven

Banned
Only Alex liked Mafia

And evne his review was incredibly unconvincing as to why he did. Jeff and Brad were both very positive about ReCore until the issues happen.

I'm not saying that Mafia was some beloved game by the staff, but there was one person who enjoyed it. Yeah they liked ReCore at first, but that doesn't mean the issues don't happen.

Not that this discussion matters because neither of them will be anywhere near the Top 10 list

Joeku

Yes, one vote per game. No ordering necessary.

Welp, guess I'll do one too then, though I still have a couple things left to play:

Doom
Hitman
Titanfall 2
Furi
Inside
Pony Island
Overwatch
The Witness
That Dragon, Cancer
Dark Souls III

Bottom of that list is a tossup with the likes of Uncharted 4, Darkest Dungeon, Stardew, Devil Daggers, Quadrilateral Cowboy, etc.

Wish I could count Steamworld Heist though. Only played it this year.

pizzacat

Banned
Overwatch
Titan fall 2
Doom
Guilty Gear XRD Rev
RAINBOW SIX SIEGE

That's it

Wait hitmango and HITMAN and World of Final Fantasy and guilty gear XRD Rev PC port and Digimon cyber sleuth if it came out in 2016

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
All the changes to Siege they've done over this year into turning it to a really well-loved gmae should quality it for GOTY 2016

not that any of those guys play it but just in general

Meguro

Banned
List of the good games in 2016
DOOM
Overwatch
Hitman
Owlboy
Odin Sphere: HD Edition
FFXV
Uncharted 4
Dark Souls 3
Titanfall 2
Pokemon Moon

Hopefully TLG joins that list soon.
I haven't played enough Forza Horizon 3 to put it anywhere but I liked it a bunch so far.
I wish I liked Tokyo Mirage Sessions more than I do.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Speaking of The Old Games I'm gonna play through either Planescape Torment or Mother 3 over the holiday break and the decision mostly depends on how well GBA emulation works on RetroPie.

I have good news for you: You're not gonna play either of those games. You will crush rocks on the side of a road and whistle sad tunes cause I just informed Nintendo about your heinous emulation plans.

Fantastapotamus

Recore is one of those games that didn't need to be as big as it is. "go to that tower" isn't that fun if it involves 5 minutes of gliding through sand in an otherwise completely empty area. It seems like a fine podcast game though.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Owlboy, I forgot that game was coming out, it came out, i forgot it came out.
I really expected it to be the indie darling this year, but it kinda came and went. I think it's PC only, too. That can't be good for a game with a 10 year dev cycle.

Salarians

sadversuslaughingxva2ukc.jpg

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
You can tell the Driver: SF people worked on the missions for Driver: SF in Watch Dogs 2. Because it's full of the same really likeable, short bite sized chunks of dialogue. Like it might be the most endearing dialogue in the game such as Marcus discussing Short Circuit with one of his passengers and the hated sequel. The dude in the car says 'we don't discuss the sequel' then when he gets out of the car, Marcus starts quoting the sequel

Fantastapotamus

The FFXV lead dude looks like the grown up version of the singer of this awful, awful, awful german teeny band that was popular like 7 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom