• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xater

Clunkier then Hitman sounds like a major issues since Hitman might be the clunkiest good game I've ever played.

It's mostly the input lag, but combat fucking sucks. I also had issues of execution prompts not showing up despite me spending minutes behind the chair trying to get it.

Hitman has a bit of a clunky control system, but I never had any issue of stuff not working.

Jintor

It's mostly the input lag, but combat fucking sucks. I also had issues of execution prompts not showing up despite me spending minutes behind the chair trying to get it.

Hitman has a bit of a clunky control system, but I never had any issue of stuff not working.

it's a game that plays to its strengths.

That said I wouldn't mind if I could take human shields again.

Also I miss pushing people down stairs.

Curufinwe

Guys I am pretty disappointed with Dishonored 2. I really liked the first one, but this one doesn't feel like progress? The levels design is pretty great, but almost everything else doesn't impress me much.

I don't think they do a good enough job at giving the player feedback about his environment. Dark vision helps, but it's not an ideal solution. There is too much clutter, which makes it hard to actually find useful items.

Same goes for the feedback of when enemies see you. Their solution feels archaic and it's easy to miss if you are not directly looking at an enemy.

The game also feels clunky, even compared to like Deus Ex or Hitman. A big part of that is the input lag. Everything just seems to happen a tick later than your actual input on the pad.

Also the console version is just abysmal. Terrible performance and on Xbone the image is just way too soft.

This is really bumming me out, because I have been very much looking forward to this. :(

Now I am shocked how much more I enjoyed Watch Dogs 2 to this.

No such issues for me on PS4.

I did an kill everyone run as Emily first, and am now doing a kill no one run as Corvo. It's amazing how many different ways there are to get thru the levels.

Xater

it's a game that plays to its strengths.

That said I wouldn't mind if I could take human shields again.

Also I miss pushing people down stairs.

Maybe, but even as someone who does like going all stealth I don't think the feedback the game gives you is good enough. Games like Deus Ex or even Watch Dogs 2 do it way better. I can't count the times I missed that shitty little flash symbol up somewhere to the side because it's not obvious enough. It's like only useful if I am directly looking at someone.

I love stealth games, but this game is testing my patience too much. I probably enjoyed playing Styx more than this. Except for the cool Clockwork Tower design, Styx might even have better level design to be honest. They are just way more open compared to the cramped ones here.

Jintor

Maybe, but even as someone who does like going all stealth I don't think the feedback the game gives you is good enough. Games like Deus Ex or even Watch Dogs 2 do it way better. I can't count the times I missed that shitty little flash symbol up somewhere to the side because it's not obvious enough. It's like only useful if I am directly looking at someone.

I love stealth games, but this game is testing my patience too much. I probably enjoyed playing Styx more than this. Except for the cool Clockwork Tower design, Styx might even have better level design to be honest. They are just way more open compared to the cramped ones here.

Oh i was talking about hitman

Meneses

Invisible Inc. is cool, lots of neat stuff there but I played it for a bit when it came out and haven't gone back since.

It's a good PS+ offering.

Zaph

I enjoyed Dishonored 2, but it was very much more of the same. Was surprised they didn't even try to up the production values a bit. Oh, and that game just ends.

I know there's a lot of gushing over the level design in this one, but I much prefer stealth games where I'm just sneaking around and observing, not trying to figure out a gimmick. So nothing in D2 really came close to the brothel and masquerade ball levels from the first game.

Jintor

that's why i like hitman so much and dislike traditional hide-in-shadows games.

social stealth ftw.

also i'm real sad assassin's creed brotherhood multiplayer never took off. that and tf2 prophunt are some of my favourite multiplayer memories.

Strax

The only gameplay related to 47 that I have not working issues with is the drag. Having to stand basically on the victims hands or feet to get it to work is bad and trying to drag a person you killed while they sat is really hard and 47 often drops them.

The strangest part of 47 movement is how slow he's dropping down and pulling himself up. Instead of having a one button push for it they made a two step process. It's like Windows Vista with it's "are you sure you want to..." with 47 hanging there for 1-2 secs like a dumbass.

Jintor

I like it in some ways because it gives him this weird methodical pace to him that wouldn't be there if he was like every other video game climbing person.

but it is kinda inconvenient.

Johndoey

Banned

Yeah I felt that too with Dishonored like some of my inputs didn't register properly and in top of that the aiming is sluggish and the mêlée combat lacks any real feedback.

The fov on consoles also felt a bit constrained like I should've had more visual information coming in. The audio bug also didn't help. The level design is overall pretty solid, but almost everything else is holding the game back.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
We live in strange times when I can come home from university to hear one of Austria's presidential candidates talk about the possibility of introducing the death penalty in Austria. Strange times.

I did the suit-only silent assassin run on Sapienza in Hitman last night.

This should have been a Breaking Brad feature (no saves allowed).

God it was fun.

patapuf

Yeah, i've found the execution promp to be a bit hit and miss as well. Especially if the target is sitting or leaning. You need to come from a very specific angle to get it.

I like the combat and new powers though. However i've only started after the recent patches on PC and my machine is beefy, so i haven't had many of technical issues that seem prevalent in all versions.

The level design makes up for a lot of shortcomings imo. It's pretty great, even by this years standarts.

Fantastapotamus

I did the suit-only silent assassin run on Sapienza in Hitman last night.

This should have been a Breaking Brad feature (no saves allowed).

God it was fun.

No saves allowed would be waaaaaay too hard. I'd be more in favor of Blood Money system like "only 3 saves are allowed". With no saves we would see way too much repetition cause SA/SO is no joke.
I'm still hoping to see a SA/SO attempt one day.

strafer

2016 GBGAF GOTY Top Ten, Part Three

Code:
 1. Doom			25 votes
 2. Hitman			24 votes
 3. Dark Souls III		21 votes
 3. Overwatch			21 votes
 5. The Witness			19 votes
 6. Titanfall 2			15 votes
 6. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End	15 votes
 8. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided	10 votes
 9. Pokemon Sun			 9 votes
10. Firewatch			 8 votes

Remove Doom and we got a deal.

Strax

What's your experience with Patreon?

I'm supporting a dude who reviewing a book series I like and I think he does it well, for the most part. The problem I'm paying per video and he's been getting greedy, I think. Somewhere in the middle of the book series he started cutting each review into 2 parts so I'm paying double what I thought I would and as of late he's been making videos about books that are kinda related to the books he's been reviewing and for some reason getting lasik.

So right now it over 60% of what I've paid him has nothing to do with what I expected and he said at the start.

I wonder if they're finally announcing Shadow of Mordor 2 at the Game Awards or PSX.

I love Shadow of Morder but unless they overhaul everything that is gameplay or nemesis system.

imBask

Banned
DOOM is like the 4th best shooter this year
That one crazy level in Dishonored 2 has better level design than all of DOOM
the soundtrack isn't even that good

#Overwatch-Hitman2016

Fantastapotamus

Biggest surprise: Doom or Hitman?

DOOM is like the 4th best shooter this year
That one crazy level in Dishonored 2 has better level design than all of DOOM
the soundtrack isn't even that good

#Overwatch-Hitman2016

See, you make a lot of sense but then you had to destroy your integrity by putting Overwatch in front. It's a fine game, no doubt. I enjoy playing it. It might even deserve the #10 spot on a potential GotY list. But not much more.

Overwatch isn't that fun, though. I got bored with it very quickly. It's a bit too much like a MOBA for my tastes. Stardew Valley is far and away the best 2016 game that I've played.

kingocfs

Overwatch isn't that fun, though. I got bored with it very quickly. It's a bit too much like a MOBA for my tastes. Stardew Valley is far and away the best 2016 game that I've played.

My problem with Overwatch is that the matches end up being very similar, at least the last time I played it. Maybe the meta has changed at this point, but it was always just a matter of waiting to defend that last push where everyone pops their ults at once.

Johndoey

Banned
Seriously FFXV's combat is at best when fighting in open spaces with a few vertical options like radio towers. The warp strike and team abilities shine in those areas. But the game seems to adore mob fights in tight corridors.

It becomes claustrophobic in the worst possible way.

Xater

Glad to see I am at least not totally crazy with my Dishonored 2 impressions. Well I got it on sale anyway. Decided to not bother with it more and get FFXV against my better judgement. Maybe the full game will win me over.

We live in strange times when I can come home from university to hear one of Austria's presidential candidates talk about the possibility of introducing the death penalty in Austria. Strange times.

What is going on in Austria? Seems like I need to check some Spiegel.de...

Fantastapotamus

What is going on in Austria? Seems like I need to check some Spiegel.de...

It's not THAT bad. He basically said he wouldn't oppose a public vote (which he couldn't even do) but it's still fucking weird to even bring that up. God, I'm gonna be so pissed if this Neo-nazi piece of shit wins.

Joeku

Guys I am pretty disappointed with Dishonored 2. I really liked the first one, but this one doesn't feel like progress? The levels design is pretty great, but almost everything else doesn't impress me much.

I don't think they do a good enough job at giving the player feedback about his environment. Dark vision helps, but it's not an ideal solution. There is too much clutter, which makes it hard to actually find useful items.

Same goes for the feedback of when enemies see you. Their solution feels archaic and it's easy to miss if you are not directly looking at an enemy.

The game also feels clunky, even compared to like Deus Ex or Hitman. A big part of that is the input lag. Everything just seems to happen a tick later than your actual input on the pad.

Also the console version is just abysmal. Terrible performance and on Xbone the image is just way too soft.

This is really bumming me out, because I have been very much looking forward to this. :(

Now I am shocked how much more I enjoyed Watch Dogs 2 to this.

Generally I agree with you. If you haven't yet, turn the friction all the way down. Made the movement better for me.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I've seen some videos of Overwatch on the internet and trust me, that shit is barely suitable for adults.
Oh I own it. It's well worth the $20 I paid for it but nothing more than that and certainly not the time I put into it.

Ketch

You guys are crazy. Overwatch is easily the best game this year. It's like rocket league except good.

Also, invisible inc is out on iOS. Makes a really good iPad game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom