• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.
So instead of hanging out drinking and playing Rock Band with my family tonight I now have to try to sleep because I work at midnight. Yay, last minute retail schedule changes. Fuck you, Boxing Day.

That sucks. Working retail is something I will be happy to never, ever do again. Stay strong!

Alright, 85% done with the GOTY thread. Now gotta write the foreward, steal credit daydream and ren by using their buttons and introductory banner, and this is a thread..

Thank you for your work with that Breezy!

What are our rules going to be? Open winner talk in that thread, one day grace period in here? I'm not really concerned about GOTY "spoilers", but we'll have two threads.

i bought myself doom but on australian internet it will take 3 days to download. lmao.

instead i've been playing lumines on mobile which is prettttttty gooooooooooood but the touch screen controls just aren't responsive enough for a BPM that's above like 120 or so

I got used to the controls, but, yeah, they totally break down when the game gets fast. I have had the game read a swipe down to drop as a drop and a rotate way too many times, which is extremely annoying.

oti

Banned
name me 10 games better than inside

seriously i got NOTHING out of Brothers

But it's ART!

Yeah, Brad can be just as weird as Jeff but at least he's kinda consistent. I really don't get his love for Inside, Brothers and Grow Home. His arguments for the latter on the list were super hyperbolic to me. This game has two mechanics and he calls it the savior of platformer games or something. Like what? GO AND PLAY MARIO GALAXY 1&2 BRADLEY.

Jintor

Brothers is an awesome game. So is Inside. I can't really defend Undertale or The Last Of Us though.

Undertale is amazing imho, both as a standard-ass video game story WITH A TWIST and (the bit I like more) as a deconstruction of the 100% mentality. Last of Us I can take or leave.

Brothers seriously did jack all for me. It felt cloyingly manipulative.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
But it's ART!

Yeah, Brad can be just as weird as Jeff but at least he's kinda consistent. I really don't get his love for Inside, Brothers and Grow Home. His arguments for the latter on the list were super hyperbolic to me. This game has two mechanics and he calls it the savior of platformer games or something. Like what? GO AND PLAY MARIO GALAXY 1&2 BRADLEY.

Hey, I like Grow Home!
Brothers was good enough to keep me entertained the
OMG your brother DIED!
twist was...uhm..."very surprising" though...
Inside is just....nothing. It's like I played nothing. They should have called it Nothing - The Game.

Undertale is amazing imho, both as a standard-ass video game story WITH A TWIST and (the bit I like more) as a deconstruction of the 100% mentality. Last of Us I can take or leave.

Brothers seriously did jack all for me. It felt cloyingly manipulative.
Undertale is incredibly difficult though. I don't think I'll ever finish it.

Thank you for your work with that Breezy!

What are our rules going to be? Open winner talk in that thread, one day grace period in here? I'm not really concerned about GOTY "spoilers", but we'll have two threads.

In the GOTY thread I've put a notice to spoiler tag anything till atleast Next monday, in this thread tho...idk. I suppose we can talk spoilers in here without tags?

oti

Banned
Hey, I like Grow Home!
Brothers was good enough to keep me entertained the
OMG your brother DIED!
twist was...uhm..."very surprising" though...
Inside is just....nothing. It's like I played nothing. They should have called it Nothing - The Game.

I like Grow Home too. It's cute and sure, it's refreshing, but it's like a comic in a newspaper. It might make you smile but one of the best games of the year? I bet he rallied behind the game because he got all the achievements thanks to mindlessly collecting stuff. He loves that for some reason.

Brothers did some interesting things mechanically. I liked it. Same with Limbo. Inside just felt very shallow as a game. Every puzzle felt like, I immediately know the solution, now there's busy work to solve it.

Inside has incredible level design and an amazing art style. The puzzles are really fun and imaginitive. It's probably not for those who need a ton of action.

Fantastapotamus

I'm probably gonna skip the thread during the GOTY podcasts. I can't listen to them on Day 1 and not knowing who wins is half the fun.
Inside has incredible level design and an amazing art style. The puzzles are really fun and imaginitive. It's probably not for those who need a ton of action.

I don't need a ton of action tho. Abzü is among my favourite games this year and I generally love P'n'C games. Inside looks great, I agree, but everything else is just...meh. And despite being short it still feels like they artifically lengthened the game. Everything after the
submarine
until you
got back into the labs
felt like it was just thrown together.

I'm probably gonna skip the thread during the GOTY podcasts. I can't listen to them on Day 1 and not knowing who wins is half the fun.

I don't need a ton of action tho. Abzü is among my favourite games this year and I generally love P'n'C games. Inside looks great, I agree, but everything else is just...meh. And despite being short it still feels like they artifically lengthened the game. Everything after the
submarine
until you
got back into the labs
felt like it was just thrown together.
Funny that the part you put spoilers for wasn't a spoiler for me but the latter was. Oh well.

Fantastapotamus

Brothers is a game that has SOMETHING TERRIBLE AND TRAGIC WILL HAPPEN written all over it. It was really hard to get invested in it because of this.

Funny that the part you put spoilers for wasn't a spoiler for me but the latter was. Oh well.

Well, if it makes you feel better I was actually wrong and what I wrote isn't actually in the game. And this isn't me saying "Uhm, actually Darth Vader ISN'T Luk's father haha", this is actually true
Cause it's offices and not labs

Brashnir

Brothers did some interesting things mechanically. I liked it. Same with Limbo. Inside just felt very shallow as a game. Every puzzle felt like, I immediately know the solution, now there's busy work to solve it.

Pretty much how I feel about most modern mainstream games. Just busywork to get you from showpiece to showpiece, and/or to fill bars.

aren't all games busywork

whether it's doom having to kill everything

hitman having to plan a hit

or mario maker, making the level

it's all busywork. everythign.

Zornack

aren't all games busywork

whether it's doom having to kill everything

hitman having to plan a hit

or mario maker, making the level

it's all busywork. everythign.

Depends if it's fun to do or not. Consensus on Inside's puzzle seems to be that they're not, whereas Doom's combat is.

As expected, I won't be playing any new games today because PSN's download times are so ungodly slow. Really the worst part of the current generation.

Limbo has stronger puzzles than Inside but Inside is clearly the better game from art direction to pacing to its entire concept. I didn't like Limbo all that much and didn't understand the love, but I'm behind Inside this time around.
The third act's abrasiveness coupled with the slow realization of what might actually be going on (or at least, my own take on the game) was a solid punch that has stuck with me over the last week or so since I've finished. Calling it 'nothing' is pretty short-sighted in my mind, especially if you stop and think about the various messages contained within the world and of course the secret ending. I'm being purposefully vague because I believe this is stuff that should be discovered or pondered on your own. And that's okay if you have spent time considering all of the game's offerings and it still isn't enough for you to enjoy or appreciate it, it's certainly not for everyone. Limbo definitely wasn't for me.

Jintor

deadly-sandwich.jpg

actually i can believe it

Fantastapotamus

Limbo has stronger puzzles than Inside but Inside is clearly the better game from art direction to pacing to its entire concept. I didn't like Limbo all that much and didn't understand the love, but I'm behind Inside this time around.
The third act's abrasiveness coupled with the slow realization of what might actually be going on (or at least, my own take on the game) was a solid punch that has stuck with me over the last week or so since I've finished. Calling it 'nothing' is pretty short-sighted in my mind, especially if you stop and think about the various messages contained within the world and of course the secret ending. I'm being purposefully vague because I believe this is stuff that should be discovered or pondered on your own. And that's okay if you have spent time considering all of the game's offerings and it still isn't enough for you to enjoy or appreciate it, it's certainly not for everyone. Limbo definitely wasn't for me.

I can't be bothered to stop and think about something I found utterly mediocre.
Here is my interpretation of the story without sitting down and thinking about it, spoilers and all

In some dystopian future and evil government has developed mind control technology, possibly after an alien attack (hence the ruined and destroyed landscapes and weird collectibles). You play a boy who is drawn to what is either the end result of those experiments or what started them, probably having some psychic abilities yourself (that's why all the smaller animals are drawn to you). I guess one could argue that just like the fish are drawn to you, you are drawn to the flesh thing. At some point you gain the ability to breathe under water for some unexplained reason (or maybe I missed that). In the end you get absorbed by the thing and escape in what might be a stagged event (yes, I noticed the diorama).
Haven't seen the secret ending tho since I almost didn't bother to finish the regular game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom