• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Just finished Thumper. What an incredible VR experience. It's probably my #2 GOTY. Though I do need to play Grow Up. That will likely be on my list.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Inside being divisive makes me want to play it to see which side I lay on but I also feel like I can get the gist by watching a Youtube video.

Also, I tried playing Pony Island but I can't get into it. It's lame as hell.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Inside being divisive makes me want to play it to see which side I lay on but I also feel like I can get the gist by watching a Youtube video.

Also, I tried playing Pony Island but I can't get into it. It's lame as hell.

You would probably like Inside cause your taste in games is terrible

No_Style

XwFfjw5.gif

I love this. Also no year has yet topped the wonderful effort of 2012.

I thought last year's skits were a cruel tease. I would have been down for a Giant Bomb Build Club from GBEast when Austin was still there.

And Meme Mondays would have been a good replacement for I Love Mondays.

Mr. F

Banned
I played Inside, and it was fine, but I'll be annoyed if it makes the top 10. I just don't get the love for it, it seems so slight.

I'm glad I played it but I can't say it left much of an impact beyond a couple neat moments. It was the kind of thing where you recognize something is very well made but it just doesn't end up resonating much.

Rogue One was just OK but man did it make me want a modern well-done take on the X-Wing/TIE Fighter series

edit: RUDDS if you're reading this on Xmas play TIE Fighter during Extra Life

I thought I'd finished The Witness last night but then I realize I hadn't. How much more is there?

I opened the hatch and went into the mountain and was greeted with more puzzles.

neshcom

Banned
The Witness's awe-inspiring moments are different things at different points, but it also can be underwhelming if you expect to be wowed traditionally. For me, the experience of working on a hard puzzle, figuring out the rules, and the satisfaction of figuring things out--the raw feeling of learning new things--is exhilarating. For as much as Ubisoft games are about having a strong tactile response for checking things off a map, The Witness similarly gives value to solving puzzles and intuiting rules.

And that takes time and a comfortability with how the game doles these things out, which is not its strongest suit. It's slow and empty and devoid of concrete meaning. And if someone tells you it's given them a fraction of nirvana, the expectations can go too high.

But The Witness is a good puzzle game and a very worthy experience.

I thought I'd finished The Witness last night but then I realize I hadn't. How much more is there?

I opened the hatch and went into the mountain and was greeted with more puzzles.

Spoiler-free: There are two very distinct endgame moments. One is at the end of the "critical path."

The mountain is the last area of the main game, but there's another bonus area you can unlock if you get every laser.

The Witness's awe-inspiring moments are different things at different points, but it also can be underwhelming if you expect to be wowed traditionally. For me, the experience of working on a hard puzzle, figuring out the rules, and the satisfaction of figuring things out--the raw feeling of learning new things--is exhilarating. For as much as Ubisoft games are about having a strong tactile response for checking things off a map, The Witness similarly gives value to solving puzzles and intuiting rules.

And that takes time and a comfortability with how the game doles these things out, which is not its strongest suit. It's slow and empty and devoid of concrete meaning. And if someone tells you it's given them a fraction of nirvana, the expectations can go too high.

But The Witness is a good puzzle game and a very worthy experience.

Yeah I really couldn't care less about The Witness' bullshit philosophical whatever. To me, it's simply the best puzzle game I've ever played. I can't believe after like 30 hours I'm still not tired of line puzzles at all.

The mountain is the last area of the main game, but there's another bonus area you can unlock if you get every laser.

Thanks! Is it long?

Yeah I really couldn't care less about The Witness' bullshit philosophical whatever. To me, it's simply the best puzzle game I've ever played. I can't believe after like 30 hours I'm still not tired of line puzzles at all.

Thanks! Is it long?

It's pretty long and challenging. But since you like the game so far I think you'll find the area very satisfying.

An-Det

I've been listening to the Bombcast from the start over the last two years (started Thanksgiving 2014), and finally got to the Ryan Memorial one. I couldn't listen to it when it first released and stopped listening to the Bombcast for a while after his passing, so finally sitting here going through it was cathartic. There's really nothing that I can add that hasn't already been said, but man I miss that dude.

You could spend a good 50 hours with it, or more. The mountain is surprisingly full, plus cleanup of other puzzles elsewhere.

It's pretty long and challenging. But since you like the game so far I think you'll find the area very satisfying.
Cool, I'll try to play through it tomorrow. I was able to pick the game back up and activate two more lasers because those sections were standalone. They're of course combining puzzle types in the mountain and that is going to hard to do after not playing the game for a few months.
You could spend a good 50 hours with it, or more. The mountain is surprisingly full, plus cleanup of other puzzles elsewhere.
I'm looking forward to giving it a go. I just want to "finish" the game in some capacity before it comes up on the GOTY-casts.

Cool, I'll try to play through it tomorrow. I was able to pick the game back up and activate two more lasers because those sections were standalone. They're of course combining puzzle types in the mountain and that is going to hard to do after not playing the game for a few months.

I'm looking forward to giving it a go. I just want to "finish" the game in some capacity before it comes up on the GOTY-casts.

You can definitely finish it this week, there's a definitive ending and then there's other stuff and seeing it all in some capacity is very doable in a reasonably short time. You might not complete it all, but you can definitely see it so you won't be spoiled.

Gosh I love that game. And I definitely agree with earlier points, the philosophical stuff does nothing for me, it's simply the exceptional nature of its puzzles that did it for me. That and the Souls-like collaboration and discussion it promoted my friends and I to engage in amongst ourselves. It was such a unique experience.

Jintor

so i finally got to the last boss in furi and man, jesus. what a fucking disappointing game.

maybe it's a good bullet hell, i wouldn't know. all i know is that for something that looks and sounds as dope as furi does it just plays like 10 degrees wrong of what I want when it's an action game, except when it becomes a fucking bullet hell game where you do nothing but dodge glowing projectiles for minutes at a time utterly bored out of your mind

so i finally got to the last boss in furi and man, jesus. what a fucking disappointing game.

maybe it's a good bullet hell, i wouldn't know. all i know is that for something that looks and sounds as dope as furi does it just plays like 10 degrees wrong of what I want when it's an action game, except when it becomes a fucking bullet hell game where you do nothing but dodge glowing projectiles for minutes at a time utterly bored out of your mind

The last boss isn't very good, but I'm surprised you played the whole game and didn't get used to its pace. Like you were bored during the last phase of the sniper boss?

chrixter

While we're validating each other's contrarian opinions, let's get some Superhot hate in here. Shit felt more like an overpriced proof of concept demo for a single mechanic rather than a game that tries to realize its potential, and its presentation is irritating. Fuck that game!

Is Furi the game that performs a dodge when you release the dodge button instead of immediately when you press it? Bothered me the entire time I played. Fuck that game, too.

Jintor

The last boss isn't very good, but I'm surprised you played the whole game and didn't get used to its pace. Like you were bored during the last phase of the sniper boss?

nah, battles i liked: samurai (after a long fucking time), knight, sniper (except the last phase), weird girl on wheels with laser head, fish dude

battles i didn't like: basically everything else

It's not that the bullet hell phases aren't challenging, but since the last phase of every boss is "survive this wave and also you can't deal damage to the boss right now because of reasons" i don't feel like I'm actually getting somewhere and more feel like I'm just ticking down this clock

anyway i finished it and i can put down this game forever now

While we're validating each other's contrarian opinions, let's get some Superhot hate in here. Shit felt more like an overpriced proof of concept demo for a single mechanic rather than a game that tries to realize its potential, and its presentation is irritating. Fuck that game!

Fortunately they fully realized those concepts and created the fantastic Superhot VR!

Hyper Light Drifter is good, but it's way too easy for an alleged super hard game.

Is Furi the game that performs a dodge when you release the dodge button instead of immediately when you press it? Bothered me the entire time I played. Fuck that game, too.

Yes, because you can charge the dodge.

Jintor

also as expected the 'story' is utterly incomprehensible and not in a good platinum nonsense kind of way

I think my main gripe with the pacing is the round-based gameplay where if you lose a round the enemy's health bar completely refills. It's like a fighting game set almost... but way more irritating

pizzacat

Banned

because it wasnt really a dodge just a dash with an i frames (same thing but still), you can charge the dash so thats why it doesnt do it when you press it

Jintor

the thing with the dash-charge is i never ended up using it because battles were so frenetic most of the time.

maybe it's some advanced strats or i'm just too used to bayonetta's ridiculously generous i-frames on dodge

nah, battles i liked: samurai (after a long fucking time), knight, sniper (except the last phase), weird girl on wheels with laser head, fish dude

battles i didn't like: basically everything else

It's not that the bullet hell phases aren't challenging, but since the last phase of every boss is "survive this wave and also you can't deal damage to the boss right now because of reasons" i don't feel like I'm actually getting somewhere and more feel like I'm just ticking down this clock

anyway i finished it and i can put down this game forever now

You totally are just ticking down the clock. Dodging tons of attacks and then ending the phase/battle in one hit felt super anime, so I enjoyed it. It's like the karate term 一拳必殺 or "to annihilate in one blow."

And hey, you liked half the bosses, and that's way better than a lot of games.

Jintor

that's what makes it so frustrating. i was so close to enjoying the overall experience which makes it even more sour that i don't.

一拳必殺

"one fist certain kill"

wanpanman

also as expected the 'story' is utterly incomprehensible and not in a good platinum nonsense kind of way

I think my main gripe with the pacing is the round-based gameplay where if you lose a round the enemy's health bar completely refills. It's like a fighting game set almost... but way more irritating

Story:
The main character (who I'll call Furi) is an alien invader whose mere presence corrupts and destroys. Rabbit guy and his cohorts capture and build an orbital prison to hold Furi. And Rabbit guy and friends are forced to stay there so long as Furi is imprisoned. Rabbit realizes that there are way more Furi dudes coming and their planet is fucked. He busts out Furi so he can leave the prison and at least see his daughter before everything is destroyed. But then Furi kills the giant face that's behind it all, saving the planet.

I like the health mechanic because it prevents you from brute forcing your way through a boss phase.

the thing with the dash-charge is i never ended up using it because battles were so frenetic most of the time.

maybe it's some advanced strats or i'm just too used to bayonetta's ridiculously generous i-frames on dodge

It's extremely useful.

Edit: 必殺 is probably the best word in any language.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom