• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

justjim89

This Ryckertcast is great. Dan's story about that time Paul traumatized him was great. Paul was so obviously shaken and upset after that.

neshcom

Banned
While we're validating each other's contrarian opinions, let's get some Superhot hate in here. Shit felt more like an overpriced proof of concept demo for a single mechanic rather than a game that tries to realize its potential, and its presentation is irritating. Fuck that game!

Yeah, it's a shame Superhot's curated path is so so short. And for as gorgeous as the gameplay is, boy is the framing device of "I dunno, some retro-futuristic ASCII art shit, I guess?" totally unnecessary. If all that fluff was better focussed, the spin at the end would be brilliant. If we're talking GBGOTY categories, the two types of styyyyyyyyyyle it exhibits are weak.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
You would probably like Inside cause your taste in games is terrible

You'll have to be more specific in regards to my taste in videogames.

I did just beat Inside. Holy shit do I have some thoughts. First, the art in that game is top notch. The game looks gorgeous. Second, the plot at the end had me in tears. I did not realize this game was a comedy
and Akira
. It's way too long for what it is. It started off really good, being hunted by unknown assailants. It quickly goes downhill after you enter the building. The water sections were genuinely creepy with
the Ring girl swimming after you
. But yeah, great atmosphere, terrible buildup, and a climax that has absolutely zero payoff and in fact pretty much mocks everything in the game prior.

I'm glad I played it. I wish it were shorter.

You'll have to be more specific in regards to my taste in videogames.

I did just beat Inside. Holy shit do I have some thoughts. First, the art in that game is top notch. The game looks gorgeous. Second, the plot at the end had me in tears. I did not realize this game was a comedy
and Akira
. It's way too long for what it is. It started off really good, being hunted by unknown assailants. It quickly goes downhill after you enter the building. The water sections were genuinely creepy with
the Ring girl swimming after you
. But yeah, great atmosphere, terrible buildup, and a climax that has absolutely zero payoff and in fact pretty much mocks everything in the game prior.

I'm glad I played it. I wish it were shorter.

It's a good game, but listening to the podcasts from earlier in the year Brad was waaay overselling it. I agree that the early sections are the best ones, which was also the case with Limbo. It was worth the ~2 hours it took me, and will probably make my top 10 because I just don't play many games.

This Ryckertcast is great. Dan's story about that time Paul traumatized him was great. Paul was so obviously shaken and upset after that.

Im still shocked that Dan was totally down to talk about his mom trying ass play with his dad. I don't think I would be able to have that conversation with a parent......and I wouldn't want to.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
aww
15624252_1887801834787832_3257036943673786368_n.jpg

I need to hear the toast (by Dave Lang) at his wedding.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
It's a good game, but listening to the podcasts from earlier in the year Brad was waaay overselling it. I agree that the early sections are the best ones, which was also the case with Limbo. It was worth the ~2 hours it took me, and will probably make my top 10 because I just don't play many games.

I don't think my taste aligns with anyone on GB. I enjoy a little bit of the same from each. I tend to ignore their opinions unless it's super glowing (Dan with Stardew Valley is all I know of for 2016). I try to base my purchases off of video of the gameplay to see if it jives with my tastes. I tend to give Gaf and Reddit the benefit of the doubt on some games.

With this off my list, I need to figure out my GOTY top 10. I wish I could play Doom without getting motion sickness because it would be in my top 5 for sure.

Brad tends to oversell anything that has newly captured his attention. The Witness hijacking of three straight weeks on the bombcast this year pushed me out of my subscription for a month. I just couldn't take it, especially when he's the first to shut someone else down and change subjects as suddenly and awkwardly as possible.

I don't know if he realized he was being insufferable or had a talking to from someone else there, but he's been much better about curbing the steamroller in the months since. So, good on Brad. I don't like being annoyed at what he does.

killroy87

Brad tends to oversell anything that has newly captured his attention. The Witness hijacking of three straight weeks on the bombcast this year pushed me out of my subscription for a month. I just couldn't take it, especially when he's the first to shut someone else down and change subjects as suddenly and awkwardly as possible.

I don't know if he realized he was being insufferable or had a talking to from someone else there, but he's been much better about curbing the steamroller in the months since. So, good on Brad. I don't like being annoyed at what he does.

It's weird, I see a lot of complaints like this from time to time based certain games (Destiny was probably the biggest one). I can honestly say, I don't think there's ever been a time when I've gotten truly tired of them talking about a game. I actually like when they touch on a game a few times, because the conversation tends to get more than surface level (as opposed to them making declarative statements about games they've played for like 2 hours).

I guess I just like them talking about games, and will take it where I can get it.

Rainmaker

Banned

I know it's not everyone's cup of tea but I really enjoy these. It takes a lot to put yourself and your whole family out there like they do. It's really entertaining and interesting.

Man thank God you weren't around during year 1 of GB. Vinny talked about Fallout 3 and Fable 2 for an ENTIRE YEAR.

You must have hated the Giant Destinycast

It's weird, I see a lot of complaints like this from time to time based certain games (Destiny was probably the biggest one). I can honestly say, I don't think there's ever been a time when I've gotten truly tired of them talking about a game. I actually like when they touch on a game a few times, because the conversation tends to get more than surface level (as opposed to them making declarative statements about games they've played for like 2 hours).

I guess I just like them talking about games, and will take it where I can get it.

Brad loves games, as Alex once put it once The DOTA got to him, in ways that we should be envious of, as he loves them deeper than any game we ever had. *links to that one mailbag where Brad ran around the WM offices clutching Starcraft 2 box high*

I know it's not everyone's cup of tea but I really enjoy these. It takes a lot to put yourself and your whole family out there like they do. It's really entertaining and interesting.

Those people are bad and should feel bad.

neshcom

Banned
At least I can comprehend Destiny. It's a shooting game and there are numbers like Borderlands.

Dota is fucking Greek to me and (except last week when literally every single thing in that game changed), nothing about it is interesting since it basically has to fit into a formulaic gameplay template.

At least the podcast is multiple hours long. That all pales in comparison to another Doom-like/Doom-mod/Doom-level pack segment on UPF. There must've been like two months straight with Doom-likes this year, right?

killroy87

At least I can comprehend Destiny. It's a shooting game and there are numbers like Borderlands.

Dota is fucking Greek to me and (except last week when literally every single thing in that game changed), nothing about it is interesting since it basically has to fit into a formulaic gameplay template.

At least the podcast is multiple hours long. That all pales in comparison to another Doom-like/Doom-mod/Doom-level pack segment on UPF. There must've been like two months straight with Doom-likes this year, right?

There has been infinitely more Hitman creeping into the weekly segments this year than anything Doom related. I still like the content, but it's definitely this year's Mario Maker (which is why it should surprise no one when it wins)

neshcom

Banned
There has been infinitely more Hitman creeping into the weekly segments this year than anything Doom related. I still like the content, but it's definitely this year's Mario Maker (which is why it should surprise no one when it wins)

I meant retro-Doom, not noo-Doom. There's definitely been more Hitman, but for as much as Dan and Brad don't know how to play, at least they try to mix it up.

This is the first time I have had longer then 3 days off since March and I am already bored.

I am going to stare at Amazon hoping for SSD deals and maybe play Overwatch and finish Dead Rising 3

bjork

Brad loves games, as Alex once put it once The DOTA got to him, in ways that we should be envious of, as he loves them deeper than any game we ever had. *links to that one mailbag where Brad ran around the WM offices clutching Starcraft 2 box high*

I remember this quote and it's true. When he goes in, he goes in deep. But the thing I've noticed about Brad over the other dudes is that he really enjoys and gets a lot out of being part of the zeitgeist, so it totally depends on the product. You take something like Fez, which was one of my favorite experiences last gen, but once you've cracked the nut, that's it. For something like a Dota or Destiny with a drip-feed style of keeping you hooked, it's no surprised that these have staying power with him.

It's cool to see someone get that pumped, even if I don't share the passion for whatever the game is. It's a positive energy you can feed off of, either way.

oti

Banned
Pokemon Mun is so good.

Made the leap the franchise badly needed.

I wish they had gone further. In the end it's just the gyms are replaced by cool tests and I did enjoy the Z-attacks way more than the Mega ring. But still, imo this franchise needs a reboot. It's the same basic Pokémon game rhythm and it would be great if they took a long look at it and asked what is needed and what can be cut.

Like, why are there 20 different Pokéballs?

Dang thats pretty late in the day for GMT time.

Was hoping for the usual 1 or 2pm content drop so I could listen while I got shopping for hot dealz on a bookcase.

Dont remember the last time I saw 5pm on the schedule

Edit.

Oh fuck. I completely forgot arc system works bought the Double Dragon IP.

Lunar FC

I wish they had gone further. In the end it's just the gyms are replaced by cool tests and I did enjoy the Z-attacks way more than the Mega ring. But still, imo this franchise needs a reboot. It's the same basic Pokémon game rhythm and it would be great if they took a long look at it and asked what is needed and what can be cut.

Like, why are there 20 different Pokéballs?

I think it's being limited by its hardware at this point. Yet I have the feeling they wont bring the core series to Switch anytime soon.

C0kQ6S9XAAEyKGc.jpg

Bye Monday.

Wtf, today is going to be a good day.
Except for the fact that I work from 4:15 to 9:15 a.m.

hamchan

Best thing about this drought is that it might have permanently reduced my interest in keeping up to date and watching everything Giant Bomb, which has allowed me to actually play and finish many hours of video games in a short amount of time.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
The pound exchange rate is terrible, I've just renewed my Giantbomb yearly sub and it cost £7.50 more than last year.
Not much better for the Euro. Almost 1:1 now.

I had a dream where Factorio made it into Giantbomb's Top 10 GOTY 2016.
Let me dream.
One of those "forever in early access" games, they always get overlooked when it comes to awards.
Should totally be in there.

No wonder we had no content for 3 weeks beforehand. I'm gonna go ahead and say don't do this next year again.
Why don't we actually wait and see what the content's like first?

I'd rather have hours and hours of the guys playing games together than a handful of skits.

jaina

The Gears 4 Horde 50 Waves is supposed to be a looooooong video. (Or they paused and went to lunch)
I wonder if 4 hours of passive Gears will keep me interested.

Xater

Why don't we actually wait and see what the content's like first?

I'd rather have hours and hours of the guys playing games together than a handful of skits.

3 weeks of next to nothing so we then get a week of way too much is not great. I don't like this exchange at all. I prefer a steady stream of stuff. Not to mention some of it doesn't look great. Watching people play Horde mode is not exactly thrilling content.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom