• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamchan

If last year taught us anything, it's that nostalgia is a powerful ally. I'll go as far as to say unless Zelda BotW is a total nightmare game, it has next year on lock.

Don't know why anyone would say Zelda is a lock when the last two 3D Zeldas were absolute snoozefests.

Xater

Don't know why anyone would say Zelda is a lock when the last two 3D Zeldas were absolute snoozefests.

Only Zelda game that ever had a shot was ALink Between Worlds. I still don't know why people are flipping out over BOTW because I still question if Nintendo will even get the open world aspect right. It just seems like a thing Nintendo should have done years ago, but still has no experience with.

I also totally tuned out during the VR talk. If that is the best VR has to offer it is still not worth investing in. That vein said VRinny needs to be a feature.

Still a bit bummed that Vinny wasn't mentioned as part of the incoming Yakuza series.

It's got my anxiety irrationally going with worry that's he's outta here before too long. :(

LiK

Still a bit bummed that Vinny wasn't mentioned as part of the incoming Yakuza series.

It's got my anxiety irrationally going with worry that's he's outta here before too long. :(

Don't be crazy. Vinny is GBeast. Maybe he's gonna do his own video feature.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
VR talk is so boring

I don't think it's going anywhere so you may as well get accustomed to hearing it.

I wonder if it will have the staying power/relevance beyond this year to continue to be discussed on the GOTY podcasts. The enthusiasm is so muted that I'm not sure.

I don't think it will get mainstream acceptance until the price for the hardware goes down. The games and experiences for it are continuing to improve so I don't think it's going anywhere.

I think the VR talk on the podcast was made tolerable because it wasn't so much about resolutions or whether it worked or not, and was more about highlighting the best of the best, while usually it's the worst aspects of the hardware that dominate talks of the VR experience.

Mr. F

Banned

When he popped into the thread to address some of the feelings around content he did answer a couple questions with allusions to bigger/longer term plans for the site. Unless that's some smoke screening I wouldn't be concerned (he could have just as easily ignored those questions).

Giganteus

I mean, how do you even get to the point that this becomes a worry for the immediate future? Is the image in your head of Dan putting on a hard hat and somehow figuring out complex equipment, to get each Yakuza video up and running? They're not cartoon characters.

No offense, it's just that every "Is Vinny leeeeavingggggg?" post makes me want to put all of you on a secluded island for a year.

TraBuch

Banned
I like how a bunch of these top 10 lists praise Firewatch for all the character development when that development just stops halfway through.

Thankfully one dude doesn't have a problem talking about how disappointing the second half is.

Xater

It also showed me I need to use more non-lethal throwing objects. I'm too much in love with the subdue, but it takes way longer.

All of this Hitman love is really getting to me. Over the course of the year I've gone from being completely indifferent to it, to now waffling over whether I should just get it during the Steam sale.

GB why would you do this to me?

Also, definitely check out the GotY thread for GotY content guidance. There are full timestamps posted by some brave souls and they try to keep the winners spoiler-free.
Hi GAF, you have to check out Superhot. It's the most innovative shooter I've played in years.

Please Stop winner is a lock.

Xater

Are there any Hitman devs on twitter? Would enjoy seeing if they've reacted to Hitsmas.

The Hitman account seems to follow a lot of the devs. Saw no reaction from the guys I checked. Christian Elverdam who did a list for GB does not seem to have a Twitter account.

All the Hitman love just makes me more excited for season 2. I don't expect that to start before Q2 though.

This years GOTY discussions are a lot less interesting than last year, since no one is really going against Jeff's crazy opinions like Austin did last year. Alex is trying the most. The new hires can't come soon enough for me.

Salarians

oQda3U7.jpg

That was my feeling too. Love you Vinny, won't be the same without you.

I know there's no basis for this, but i am terrified about accidently looking at gaf before finishing goty podcast and seeing a thread that says 'Vinny Caravella is leaving Giant Bomb' . It happened to me with Austin and the E3 casts, and I don't want it to happen again this year. Especially this shitty year

The base mechanics of Hitman are so good I wouldn't mind if they kept adding missions indefinitely, in lieu of a sequel.

Before I continue I want to acknowledge the inherent weirdness in me discussing next year's GOTY when we are in the middle of this year's. What I'll say is, nobody except Patrick, iirc, cared about Skyward Sword. Difference in their reaction to that than to BOTW at E3 is tremendous (to evoke Patrick again). For all we know Prey will win.

Watching just about everything on GB but often a day or two behind is such a strange limbo-ish experience, lol. I see people talking about Yakuza and I'm suddenly digging back through the thread to see what's going on (and for that matter, always being ever-so-slightly worried that the "X is leaving!" jokes are referring to an actual recent event that I had missed).

Xater

The base mechanics of Hitman are so good I wouldn't mind if they kept adding missions indefinitely, in lieu of a sequel.

I think for this generation they could just get away with doing a new season every year. As long as people buy them of course. Making a sequel from the ground up for this generation seems unfeasible.

ArjanN

If last year taught us anything, it's that nostalgia is a powerful ally. I'll go as far as to say unless Zelda BotW is a total nightmare game, it has next year on lock.

I mean, you're not wrong about nostalgia in general, but pretty much none of the GB guys really cared about Zelda in the past either.

My guess is that Zelda will be a big fat "meh" for the staff in general. One person will latch on to it and love it and it will be their #1, but the rest will be like "It's just another open world game" or "they genericized Zelda."

Rainmaker

Banned
haha. I know it's a dumb paranoia at this point but I do kind of associate E3 and GOTY with "bad" news at the end because of Patrick and Austin. It's a dark cloud that hangs over the whole thing. I doubt Vinny is leaving though.

I love Brad but I forgot he does that thing where he backs like 6 games in a category where he knows all but 3 must be cut and he refuses to back down on any of them. Although I guess it's better he's passionate about his choices rather than give up right away.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Not that I think vinny is leaving, but as much as we like to think that they are all friends your co-workers shouldn't be the no.1 concern when it comes to your career unless you're part of a super small, personal business where you leaving can fuck over people you care about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom