• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like I need to caveat this comment with a bunch of shit because I know it'll sound crazy. I've been subbing to giant bomb basically since it's a subs been offered, I've supported them in the good content seasons and the bad. I'm a huge fan. Even though I know what I'm about to say is insane, I think I have to say it and that any bomber should appreciate my whiny baby criticism because there might be some truth in there (you be the judge).

Ridiculous entitled rant as follows: I support giant bomb because I want them to have enough money to create the stuff they want to create. But, when they openly talk about the three thousand dollar television they plan on buying while simultaneously being reluctant to talk about any premium content because they don't wanna feel locked into doing some work that their audience would enjoy it pisses me off. Why sub? they obviously don't need my money. End rant.

Sorry, but thats how felt, I know it's pretty irrational but I cant change the way it made me feel.
I mean...Vinny has a $3k camera to basically film some mail. A tricaster is insanely expensive and they have two full studios. They've always spent big on their equipment. Isn't that part of what you would want as a sub?

Catvoca

Banned
If they didn't spend a bunch of money on a 4K TV people would be complaining that they're not covering the pro properly.

Ketch

I guess I got the impression from the bombcast that a few of them were planning on buying a TV for personal use.

I understand they have a 4k TV coming to the studio, that's not what I meant.

Again, I know it's crazy. I thought about not posting it, but now we're here.

edit: I guess the root of it is me not feeling like I'm getting my money's worth from the sub (even though I know it's never really been that way) and wanting more premium content

Cptkrush

I guess I got the impression from the bombcast that a few of them were planning on buying a TV for personal use.

I mean, I get where you're coming from. But I highly doubt Jeff is buying a 4k tv with premium subs. He's probably saving his money from his salary like a responsible adult with no kids and a cheap mortgage would.

He used credit card reward points to build his PC. Dude is pretty ok at money stuff.

Ketch, you are aware Giant Bomb is owned by CBS, yes?

Also, from what I understand, a three thousand dollar television to companies can be classified as a depreciated asset so it's cheaper than it's purchased cost to them as they save money in tax breaks ever year as the television loses value from getting old.

At my old job, the company had a $100,000 piece of equipment that we didn't need anymore because the division using it closed, but instead of selling it to get money back to buy something else, the accountants found that it was cheaper to let it depreciate and take the tax breaks.

Zaph

edit: I guess the root of it is me not feeling like I'm getting my money's worth from the sub (even though I know it's never really been that way) and wanting more premium content

They're middle class and it's a tax write off. Given those two things, a $3k TV isn't a real extravagance, especially as it's directly related to their job.

But I back you on the premium thing - content regularity and quality has been shite for way too long, and I'm sick of hearing whatever the Excuse of the Month is.

Ketch

I mean, I get where you're coming from. But I highly doubt Jeff is buying a 4k tv with premium subs. He's probably saving his money from his salary like a responsible adult with no kids and a cheap mortgage would.

He used credit card reward points to build his PC. Dude is pretty ok at money stuff.

This actually made me feel a lot better about it. You're totally right.

Sabas

Banned
Heavenforbid the Waypoint crew promote a thing their friends are doing.

Good on the GB crew for doing this stream.

Meguro

Banned
Come on.
There's a point where even for the GB community cynicism goes too far.
Austin just wants to share a fun and relaxing thing for people on a day that's very much the opposite for a lot of folk.

Also, from what I understand, a three thousand dollar television to companies can be classified as a depreciated asset so it's cheaper than it's purchased cost to them as they save money in tax breaks ever year as the television loses value from getting old.

I believe Drew said they were getting a 55" Vizio, if they bought the most expensive 55" model that Vizio makes that's only $1300. If its the mid-end model its more like $800.

FStop7

Banned
I feel like I need to caveat this comment with a bunch of shit because I know it'll sound crazy. I've been subbing to giant bomb basically since it's a subs been offered, I've supported them in the good content seasons and the bad. I'm a huge fan. Even though I know what I'm about to say is insane, I think I have to say it and that any bomber should appreciate my whiny baby criticism because there might be some truth in there (you be the judge).

Ridiculous entitled rant as follows: I support giant bomb because I want them to have enough money to create the stuff they want to create. But, when they openly talk about the three thousand dollar television they plan on buying while simultaneously being reluctant to talk about any premium content because they don't wanna feel locked into doing some work that their audience would enjoy it pisses me off. Why sub? they obviously don't need my money. End rant.

Sorry, but thats how felt, I know it's pretty irrational but I cant change the way it made me feel.

Tracer is officially out as best new character.

popo

$3000 was for the LG OLED Jeff was looking at, the studio TV they are getting is a Vizio, which cost a lot less than that.

Not sure wtf CBS equipment budget has to do with how much premium content they put out though ...

FStop7

Banned
I just played Paris and man, HITMAN IS SO GOOD.

I tried to follow an opportunity but missed (I had stuff on minimal) so I improvised the whole time. I killed Viktor on the garden, took the shot and then escaped while being hunted. It was tense as hell. It felt so great when I escaped.

I hid on the closet to kill Dalia and when she arrived at the room I threw a scissor at her head and then punched the man she was with! SO GOOD.

I then punched the security guard near the helicopter and made it out like a bandit. Why didn't I buy the season pass when it released? WHY?

Man, the adrenaline rush I felt was something else. Loved it.

Also, I'll explore Paris a bunch more and then buy this piece meal. It's like 5 euros more expensive than buying whole but I rather do it this way to enjoy each level more and also try to avoid burn out.

SO GOOD.

Paris is my favorite map even though it's not as elaborate as Sapienza. The chateau feels like a real place. It's very convincing. And once you really learn the layout of the map and the paths of the AI characters you can do so much awesome stuff.

Meneses

Come on.
There's a point where even for the GB community cynicism goes too far.
Austin just wants to share a fun and relaxing thing for people on a day that's very much the opposite for a lot of folk.

How about:

"Hey, our friends at Giantbomb are streaming some stuff, go check them out at giantbomb.com"

Catvoca

Banned
How about:

"Hey, our friends at Giantbomb are streaming some stuff, go check them out at giantbomb.com"

You know "hosting" a twitch stream means that all the twitch views are still going to GiantBomb right? Literally the only thing it did was have a different chat for Danielle and Waypoint folks to hang out in.

Meneses

You know "hosting" a twitch stream means that all the twitch views are still going to GiantBomb right? Literally the only thing it did was have a different chat for Danielle and Waypoint folks to hang out in.

Giantbomb.com also has a chat for people to hang out in. It still feels like "hey, come check out our channel".

Valtýr

Also: By hosting the GB stream, anyone who follows Waypoint on twitch will be notified and it will show up in their dashboard of followed streams. Hosting streams is commonly used by big streams to attract people to smaller streams.

Not saying Waypoint is bigger than GB obviously, but you get what I'm saying.

repeater

How about:

Yeah, that'd be totally rad

Kv4cHJO.jpg

Meneses

Valtýr;223851120 said:
Also: By hosting the GB stream, anyone who follows Waypoint on twitch will be notified and it will show up in their dashboard of followed streams. Hosting streams is commonly used by big streams to attract people to smaller streams.

Not saying Waypoint is bigger than GB obviously, but you get what I'm saying.

I get it. It seems to be a good thing serving the interests of all the involved parties.

Catvoca

Banned
It's about what I expected. Have a hard time connecting with his multiplayer views though, since he liked AW so much and disliked Blops 3, whereas for me it was the exact opposite.

No surprise there.

Yeah. Especially when he says the game feels like 5 games in one, yet only really likes 2-3 of them. When he said that (on Twitter?), I instantly knew it was a 3 star review. So, if Titanfall 2 is a 5 and Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare is a 3, should we expect Battlefield 1 to be no less than a 4 (if someone reviews it, of course)?

robotrock

Banned
Yeah. Especially when he says the game feels like 5 games in one, yet only really likes 2-3 of them. When he said that (on Twitter?), I instantly knew it was a 3 star review. So, if Titanfall 2 is a 5 and Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare is a 3, should we expect Battlefield 1 to be no less than a 4 (if someone reviews it, of course)?

I hope you are not expecting a Battlefield 1 review

edit: You ninja'd that last set of parentheses. I would normally let it pass by but in this case it would cause my post to suffer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom