• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope you are not expecting a Battlefield 1 review

edit: You ninja'd that last set of parentheses. I would normally let it pass by but in this case it would cause my post to suffer.

Ha. I edited it in almost immediately after posting it. Probably while you were writing your response. But if we did get one, I would assume Vinny or Alex would do it. Vinny's reviewed things on occasion, right?

repeater

Austin wrote a long piece entitled "A Note on Trump, Waypoint and Why We Play".

Here's what appears as a "related video" at the bottom of the page:
1CQBKEp.jpg

skynidas

Banned
Ha. I edited it in almost immediately after posting it. Probably while you were writing your response. But if we did get one, I would assume Vinny or Alex would do it. Vinny's reviewed things on occasion, right?
I think Vinny only reviewed one game ever. One of the Ratchet and Clanks, i Think.

With all the presidential election talk dominating, what do you guys think of Washington, D.C. voting for statehood (overwhelmingly, in fact). Apparently the D.C. mayor wants the new state (if approved) to be named New Columbia. That probably can't happen, as its initials would be NC, same as North Carolina (which, to add further confusion, has its own city named Washington). Why not drop the "New" and simply call it Columbia and utilize the associated imagery on the state flag. Maybe it could even inspire the Washington Redskins to adopt a name change to follow suit.

Here is what the US flag would look like with 51 states:
3Nb5Mhh.png

Tubobutts

With all the presidential election talk dominating, what do you guys think of Washington, D.C. voting for statehood (overwhelmingly, in fact). Apparently the D.C. mayor wants the new state (if approved) to be named New Columbia. That probably can't happen, as its initials would be NC, same as North Carolina (which, to add further confusion, has its own city named Washington). Why not drop the "New" and simply call it Columbia and utilize the associated imagery on the state flag. Maybe it could even inspire the Washington Redskins to adopt a name change to follow suit.

Here is what the US flag would look like with 51 states:
3Nb5Mhh.png
Wouldn't even need a new flag when California secedes and becomes the glorious nation of Gerstmannia.

Goddamn, still stunned every time my mind drifts from an unrelated thing back to the election stuff. Fucking scary shit.

On a more positive note, Alex's stream is still fucking awesome . Keep on rockin duder.

Wouldn't even need a new flag when California secedes and becomes the glorious nation of Gerstmannia.

Funnily enough, California one day might cease to exist as is. Northern California is so unlike Central and Southern California politically. There's always a push for a North California and a South California (one being predominantly conservative, the other predominantly liberal). The thing is, candidates would not have California's 55 electoral votes to hope for anymore (though, I think South California would have way more than North California, due to the higher population).

KingKong

You have to be a special kind of stupid to think that voting republican would actually improve your quality of life unless you're the 1%

Man, I hope Jeff talking about potentially hiring for multiple positions doesn't mean someone's leaving but that they have a bigger budget . I'd like to believe the latter but...

You have to be a special kind of stupid to think that voting republican would actually improve your quality of life unless you're the 1%

What seems to be happening is one form of Republicanism has taken hold since the 70's: Neoconservatism, which are Conservative Republicans (which actually began as Conservative Democrats) has dominated Rockefeller Republicans which are Liberal Republicans. The latter is typically based in the Northeast/New England and support social issues. I think voters would be kinder to the latter, as they are closer to the center.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Man, I hope Jeff talking about potentially hiring for multiple positions doesn't mean someone's leaving but that they have a bigger budget . I'd like to believe the latter but...

There is a good chance they aimed to hire somebody before Austin left, right? GB seems to be doing fine, so getting the budget for a new hire doesn't seem too outlandish and after Austin left they (theoretically) could have the budget for 2 people. Right?

Xater

No matter which country you are from the right always promises the poor the world, but are actually not acting in their best interest at all.

Like if you are in a shitty situation financially, no healthcare, just all that shit, they are not the ones that will make it all better.

Let's break this down rationally.

Jeff ain't going nowhere. This site is his creation.
Brad
is leaving /s
has been there from the start, and won't go anywhere.
Vinny, Drew, and Jason are all needed for video production. If one leaves, the site crumbles. Plus, two of those 3 have been there since the start or near the start.
Does Rorie actually work for Giant Bomb or just CBSi? I don't know, but he seems to enjoy his job, probably not going anywhere.
Dan, is moving to the New York Office to make it less of a ghost ship. Alex is there as one of the founding members of a new branch. Neither are going anywhere.

I think it's absolutely likely that with GameSpot fucking melting, that esports site that I don't even know the name of because they didn't seem to try, and GameFAQ's not really being a "game news and reviews" site, CBS sees Giant Bomb as the new GameSpot. It is very likely that they are getting a larger budget.

But hey, I might be wrong. Jeff constantly hints at "fucking nightmares" dealing with upper management, and says that the reason that they aren't making Game of Thrones Recap podcasts, and speculating on Marvel movies, is that they generate their own income with premium members. Perhaps there is a push to make GB more like GS, and by forcing founders out, CBS could maximize profits. But I like to think there's still good in this world.

Meneses

If CBS ever forced the founders out everyone would likely just leave and if they couldn't keep the name (I doubt Jeff would have let that happen, but who knows) we would just subscribe to the new independent outlet La Bomba Gigante instead.

edit: also, even when there were 3 people at GBeast I think they mentioned how they were already understaffed, so I can't imagine how it is with just two.

It makes sense to hire a 4th person for GBeast and one to replace Dan back West.

imBask

Banned
I respect Colin because he can make an argument and debate over it. The debate with Kevin was good on the show today

I super disagree with him, but at least he's able to get his point across and debate it, unlike people here who just backhand dismiss him as an idiot based on a tweet. Some of you guys should probably read the thread about the echo chamber from this morning

Johndoey

Banned
I played through the Infinite Warfare campaign in one sitting, really good single player I'm impressed.

There's this really tender around the middle of the campaign that I didn't expect. I actually gave a damn about some of the characters. Ethan my sweet summer prince.

I respect Colin because he can make an argument and debate over it. The debate with Kevin was good on the show today

I super disagree with him, but at least he's able to get his point across and debate it, unlike people here who just backhand dismiss him as an idiot based on a tweet. Some of you guys should probably read the thread about the echo chamber from this morning
That tweet from him was completely obnoxious and tone deaf.

If CBS ever forced the founders out everyone would likely just leave and if they couldn't keep the name (I doubt Jeff would have let that happen, but who knows) we would just subscribe to the new independent outlet La Bomba Gigante instead.

edit: also, even when there were 3 people at GBeast I think they mentioned how they were already understaffed, so I can't imagine how it is with just two.

It makes sense to hire a 4th person for GBeast and one to replace Dan back West.

What I'd like to see happen, if possible is: After Dan moves to NYC, pursue another writer/on screen talent for GBEast, as well as another video guy. Then in GBWest, hire another writer/on screen talent. This way, each coast would have three writers/on screen talent and two video guys. Maybe even hire a Rorie for GBEast.

Xater

I'm looking forward to Tyranny tomorrow. GB will sadly most likely completely sleep on it. Just like they did with Pillars of Eternity or Wasteland 2.

Joeku

GAF is an echo chamber insofar as the outright racism got banned, and the people who supported Trump in secret hid.

Colin may be able to debate, but he's wrong.

At least someone who's a complete idiot has the excuse of being uneducated; but someone who should know better and still chooses the wrong path? That's intentional.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I'm looking forward to Tyranny tomorrow. GB will sadly most likely completely sleep on it. Just like they did with Pillars of Eternity or Wasteland 2.

I feel like the coverage we would get wouldn't be the coverage we want anyway. Nobody but Rorie likes those games but after his DA:I review even he can't be trusted anymore.

(I kid obviously, but DA:I is garbage)

imBask

Banned
GAF is an echo chamber insofar as the outright racism got banned, and the people who supported Trump in secret hid.

Colin may be able to debate, but he's wrong.

At least someone who's a complete idiot has the excuse of being uneducated; but someone who should know better and still chooses the wrong path? That's intentional.

Or maybe you have to take some and leave some, if you think every single argument from the right is flatout wrong, then I don't know what to tell you

I lean HEAAAAAAVILY to the left, and not the american left the actual left, but I enjoy a good debate with someone from the right who can speak his mind

Xater

The problem is that Rorie will play these games for a QL, be impressed and the just return to WoW. He also isn't someone who contributes to GOTY, so that just stays a RPG wasteland.

Johndoey

Banned
Colin is smart enough to know a vote for a third party was effectively assisting a fucking fascist to become the presidential elect. He took the greatest responsibility of an American and wasted it like a petulant child, fuck him and the horse he rode in on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom