• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #26 | goodbye white man blinking gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polarbear

Banned
Other than the pricing, online stuff and lack of first year games, I'm not hearing anything too negative from the guys. They're sort of lukewarm on some of the games, but they overall seem OK with it.

#BowserMilk

They're bemused by all the dumb 1, 2, switch stuff but everyone except for Dan emphatically said no one should buy it right now.

They're bemused by all the dumb 1, 2, switch stuff but everyone except for Dan emphatically said no one should buy it right now.

That doesn't mean they don't like the system. As I mentioned earlier, waiting until later in the year (next year?) would be the better move for most people.

Toparaman

Banned
Welcome to 2006 indeed

Releasing a console that would have been competitive with the PS3 and 360

LOL at this hyperbole. I don't see how the Switch is comparable to the PS3/360 in any way other than graphics.

The Switch is a portable, self-contained device. If there was a handheld PS3/360 in 2006, it would be $900 minimum.

Anyone who looks at the Switch and expects PS4 graphics for $300 is dumb as hell, not even gonna sugarcoat it. Whether the Switch is a compelling value proposition is another story. But people who are like "lol, 2006", get a grip on reality. This isn't a competitor to the PS4/XB1; it fills a niche that isn't met by home consoles or by mobile devices.

Nobody should ever pre-order a console. There is literally no benefit of pre-ordering a console in 2017.

I can cover the entire cost of a Switch + Zelda by trading in my 3DS and Wii U plus their games, none of which I've touched for months. It's a free upgrade for me, and if I waited the value of what I own would drop.

Xater

That doesn't mean they don't like the system. As I mentioned earlier, waiting until later in the year (next year?) would be the better move for most people.

No but the slate us too thin and it's all too expensive. They pretty much all agreed on that. Except for Dan who thinks that's a solid year if games.

JonCha

Jeff saying how it is. It's too expensive, don't buy this right now.

I think a lot if it seems neat, but with being primarily a first party system you can't price this way.

Yeah, I agree, even though Zelda does looks awesome.

How has the third-party software situation changed from the Wii U? It seems at the mo like we're still going to have those big gaps between Nintendo's stuff.

Hindl

Yeah, I agree, even though Zelda does looks awesome.

How has the third-party software situation changed from the Wii U? It seems at the mo like we're still going to have those big gaps between Nintendo's stuff.

At this point you can't say. The number of logos Nintendo had for 3rd party partners were vastly more than what they had for the Wii U, but those logos don't mean shit until the games release. They're probably all just waiting and seeing how the system does on its own before giving support. Gonna guess it's not going to be full blown though

JonCha

At this point you can't say. The number of logos Nintendo had for 3rd party partners were vastly more than what they had for the Wii U, but those logos don't mean shit until the games release. They're probably all just waiting and seeing how the system does on its own before giving support. Gonna guess it's not going to be full blown though

True.

I guess I wouldn't recommend pre-ordering now but also think that Zelda will last people for a good while. It realistically looks like a game that could approach 70 hours of play. For the more 'casual' person that will do just fine until Mario/Splatoon.

Hindl

True.

I guess I wouldn't recommend pre-ordering now but also think that Zelda will last people for a good while. It realistically looks like a game that could approach 70 hours of play. For the more 'casual' person that will do just fine until Mario/Splatoon.

If you need Zelda and don't have a Wii U or you want to play it on Switch, get it at launch. Otherwise, wait until fall or Summer if Splatoon 2 is enough to convince you.

Dineren

Banned
I agree with most of the things they said, but I'm still keeping my preorder. I will forever be part of the problem.

Edit: I do disagree with Jeff about the portable feature. I will use that all the time even if it never leaves my house.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Getting it and playing it asap? ;)

well with Nintendo you're running the risk of it being sold out for months after release

Maybe there will be a second game to play at that point :p

Even Dan says it's not going to be as successful as the Wii.

I mean...yeah? It doesn't need to be the best selling console of all time

I can cover the entire cost of a Switch + Zelda by trading in my 3DS and Wii U plus their games, none of which I've touched for months. It's a free upgrade for me, and if I waited the value of what I own would drop.

I mean, you could just play Zelda on your WiiU and still trade in your 3DS and your games, right?

Toparaman

Banned
Honestly I play like 5 games a year so Mario + Zelda already fills nearly half that quota for me. But I agree that most people would do well to wait a year.

I think the Switch will do fine in a year once the advantages of a consolidated software library become apparent and a $50-$100 price drop happens. It's probably going to be like the 3DS, where it sells well but never truly reaches mainstream penetration. But maybe Nintendo's mobile, theme park, and TV ventures can push the company's prosperity even further.

jaina

pity. They must be throwing together the barebones of an OS right now.
I can understand that other stuff is getting a higher priority, but consider both Streetpass and Miiverse successful features of last gen (which I used almost never). hopefully at a later date as phone apps.

LOL at this hyperbole. I don't see how the Switch is comparable to the PS3/360 in any way other than graphics.

The Switch is a portable, self-contained device. If there was a handheld PS3/360 in 2006, it would be $900 minimum.

Anyone who looks at the Switch and expects PS4 graphics for $300 is dumb as hell, not even gonna sugarcoat it. Whether the Switch is a compelling value proposition is another story. But people who are like "lol, 2006", get a grip on reality. This isn't a competitor to the PS4/XB1; it fills a niche that isn't met by home consoles or by mobile devices.

You can say this until you're blue in the face. Comparisons and decisions will be made with the PS4/XB1 in mind.

They're competitors.

Vinny leading a discussion is like night and day compared to the Bombcast/West. I really wish East would get the Switch day 1 stream but they won't be.

tmarg

pity. They must be throwing together the barebones of an OS right now.
I can understand that other stuff is getting a higher priority, but consider both Streetpass and Miiverse successful features of last gen (which I used almost never). hopefully at a later date as phone apps.

I imagine they want a clear cut off from their old, free, social features and their new subscription ones.

The fact that they can't tell us anything about the new ones yet is extremely disturbing though.

kai3345

Banned
C2FNBe4UcAEBB5u.jpg

C2FNDaOUsAAw4w7.jpg
slender mario is mario's true form

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom