• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #26 | goodbye white man blinking gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck

Still without luck
I guess I'm the only GB member who is super excited for the Switch. I just can't help but get excited for a new Nintendo console. Also Zelda's launching with it and looks incredible!

My opinion on games doesn't align with GB that much at all, but still love the content they make.
It always comes back to this doesn't it. Fans dismiss criticisms in favor of "yo it's a new Nintendo! Zeldaaaaaaa"

Nintendos biggest fans should be their biggest critics and more often than not the opposite is true.

patapuf

It always comes back to this doesn't it. Fans dismiss criticisms in favor of "yo it's a new Nintendo! Zeldaaaaaaa"

Nintendos biggest fans should be their biggest critics and more often than not the opposite is true.

Despite all the flaws Nintendo Hardware has, the games they put out are rarely compromised by it. (and Ninentdos Hardware has a lot of shitty decisions behind it)

I'm really underwhelmed by the switch, but if the games are good, i'll probably still end up getting one.

Meguro

Banned
I don't think that's exclusive to Nintendo fans.
Most "fanboys" are hardly the biggest critics of whatever they are a fan of.
Also I don't think that poster was dismissing anything, just saying they are excited!
Which I am also. But I'm also furious at how stupid Nintendo is.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I really wish I could give Nintendo another shot, but they make it so terribly difficult. The hardware pricing is frankly ridiculous for the tech, they never drop the prices on their games, and now they're charging to play online. Money really isn't an issue, but the value proposition they offer compared to their competitors is not even close. This new management staff leaves me with no hope they've learned anything after the sharp decline of the Wii post craze. They just constantly shoot themselves in the foot and it makes me sad.

tesqui

Oh, don't get me wrong there's stuff I don't like about the Switch.

I think they priced it 50 dollars too high.

It seems insane that they didn't include 1, 2 Switch as a pack in. Also 50 dollars seems a bit steep for what I've seen on videos so far of that game.

The online service seems worrying. Free game for JUST a month sounds real dumb.

The launch lineup is real thin. (Zelda makes it worth it for me though)

6XbYPx6.gif

Brad fishing for that pale chub in all the wrong places.

Mr. F

Banned
I really wish I could give Nintendo another shot, but they make it so terribly difficult. The hardware pricing is frankly ridiculous for the tech, they never drop the prices on their games, and now they're charging to play online. Money really isn't an issue, but the value proposition they offer compared to their competitors is not even close. This new management staff leaves me with no hope they've learned anything after the sharp decline of the Wii post craze. They just constantly shoot themselves in the foot and it makes me sad.

I wonder how much of it is left over from Iwata's influence, or if the new guard is just as out of touch? With all the talk in recent years of younger faces working their way into influential developer roles within the company it sucks to see these big decisions rooted in stubbornness to adapt.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I guess I'm the only GB member who is super excited for the Switch. I just can't help but get excited for a new Nintendo console. Also Zelda's launching with it and looks incredible!

My opinion on games doesn't align with GB that much at all, but still love the content they make.
Well, I like the idea of it, but I'll wait.

I think my problem with the Switch is the over emphasis on waggle controls. It's Wii all over again. The Switch seemed really great on it's own. I personally don't care about the joy cons turning into mini controllers and would've been perfectly fine with the joy cons simply existing to slide out of the handheld unit and into the Switch controller and have no other functionality (like waggle control). I really hoped the games themselves would have no control gimmick (except maybe some touch screen stuff on the handheld unit). Just traditional games. Now, I should say, I really am enjoying VR, which some call a gimmick. So maybe I'm being a bit hypocritical here, but I felt a little let down when everything seems to feel like Wii again. The Wii crowd moved on to iOS/Android. Maybe Nintendo should move on too.

I do think the ability to use the handheld unit as a portable display (with the kickstand to hold it up) is an awesome idea, though I couldn't imagine using the joy cons with it. I would most certainly want a Switch Pro controller.

Zornack

Despite all the flaws Nintendo Hardware has, the games they put out are rarely compromised by it. (and Ninentdos Hardware has a lot of shitty decisions behind it)

I'm really underwhelmed by the switch, but if the games are good, i'll probably still end up getting one.

I just don't think their software is all that good. Game & Wario, Nintendoland, New Super Mario Bros WIi U, Captain Toad, amiibo Festival, Tennis, Color Splash, Wolly World, Wii Party U; I'd classify all those games as middling to bad. There are of course the diamonds in the rough but at this point I'd classify the majority of Nintendo's console output as mediocre.

Phediuk

7/8/2008 Bombcast

Remember the days when there was a publisher press event pretty much every week? In this episode, Brad just got back from a fucking Lucasarts event.

robotrock

Banned
Watch some of the EZA switch reaction video. Thank god the GB guys don't act like that

i will admit i am the guy who may have cried when square enix decided to make another kingdom hearts game and decided it to declare it the third, but even I constantly asked "the fuck??" when watching that switch event

oti

Banned
Was expecting to hear some shitting on the Wonderful 101 on this week's Beastcast

I wasn't ready

I gotta listen to this.
I stopped playing that game after 30 minutes and never regretted it.

Watch some of the EZA switch reaction video. Thank god the GB guys don't act like that
It's insufferable. And this whole YouTube thumbnail game of being totally SURPRISED REACTION OMG... Ugh. I get why they do it but still... Ugh.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Cities Skylines can make beastly computers whinge at higher pop levels. Especially during disasters.

I can't even imagine how it would do on a console.

How many times did they fall over?

None. A few games like Xenoblade 2 and Mario (especially Mario) got them super excited. But, at the end of the stream, they almost all were way down on the thing (but like many other places that were down on it, they still scrambled to preorder it when preorder slots opened up).

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I watched some random Youtuber play Bequest and it was really fun to see him try and act super freaked out by everything. Maybe Youtube isn't that bad

As far as the Switch goes, the presentation didn't move me hugely one way or another. I went into it with a moderate level of interest, and came away thinking that it looks cool, but definitely isn't a day-one purchase for me. I'm sure I'll get one sometime this year (hopefully the supply allows it), and I'm looking forward to the new Mario and whatever else Nintendo puts out. I'm always down to check out Nintendo's games, but I've been planning on playing Zelda on my WiiU ever since it was announced, and nothing in that presentation convinced me that I shouldn't.

And Band of Brothers is awesome. Like Drew said, it's basically 10 hours of Saving Private Ryan. Except I might even rank Band of Brothers higher than Saving Private Ryan.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
None. A few games like Xenoblade 2 and Mario (especially Mario) got them super excited. But, at the end of the stream, they almost all were way down on the thing (but like many other places that were down on it, they still scrambled to preorder it when preorder slots opened up).

Did they jump up, throw their arms into the air while yelling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom