• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #26 | goodbye white man blinking gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Galway shoutout on the bombcast!

Having Romero live here is fun, I've bumped into him a few times as he lives right nearby.

FluxWaveZ

Just started the MGR video series. Really sounds like Dan hasn't even played the game before, from the way he's been talking. Weird.

LiK

Just started the MGR video series. Really sounds like Dan hasn't even played the game before, from the way he's been talking. Weird.

When they looked at it last time, Dan was the one playing it, iirc. I'm surprised Dan only played it once. He forgot how many Metal Gear moments exist. It's like he didn't care cuz Kojima wasn't directly involved.

When they looked at it last time, Dan was the one playing it, iirc. I'm surprised Dan only played it once. He forgot how many Metal Gear moments exist. It's like he didn't care cuz Kojima wasn't directly involved.

Yeah it's weird. It's funny how throughout the series, Dan realizes that this game is just as crazy if not crazier than the MGS mainline games, and that at times it out Kojimas Kojima.

LiK

Yeah it's weird. It's funny how throughout the series, Dan realizes that this game is just as crazy if not crazier than the MGS mainline games, and that at times it out Kojimas Kojima.

I also like that they're seeing how this is connected to MGS4.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me

Having Romero live here is fun, I've bumped into him a few times as he lives right nearby.

I just know Galway from Jack Taylor.
tumblr_m3x08fXn1w1r0u5pdo1_500.gif

I should go to Galway and walk around a bit. Really want to meet Romero somehow while he is in the country.

Always thought it was kinda weird Ireland never a indie dev make something that broke through back when everyone and their college roomate was trying to make the next big Xbox Live Arcade game.

We had a PopCap satalite studio for a hot minute and we do have some middleware companies and thats been it.

PowerTaxi

Banned
I should go to Galway and walk around a bit. Really want to meet Romero somehow while he is in the country.

Always thought it was kinda weird Ireland never a indie dev make something that broke through back when everyone and their college roomate was trying to make the next big Xbox Live Arcade game.

We had a PopCap satalite studio for a hot minute and we do have some middleware companies and thats been it.

Well, Havok came from Trinity so that counts for something.

Edit: Ah, didn't see the middleware comment

Catvoca

Banned

Doesn't Blizzard have an office in Cork or somewhere?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

Out of the few places in Ireland I've been it's my favourite city so far. The west coast of Ireland is fantastic.

A few Popcap people got absorbed into the local EA studio site here I believe some years back when the Dublin site shut.

Doesn't Blizzard have an office in Cork or somewhere?
Cork yeah, support, web dev and back office I believe. Much like EAs presence.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Ah, for some reason I thought they did some game dev stuff here.
Auxiliary development and QA if I recall correctly. Can't really speak recent about the place though. Blizzard used to split a bunch of dev stuff between Ireland and France within the same locales that house the European support centres.

Just listening to todays bombcast, Jeff mentions Dan not understanding some aspect of the Switch which garners a knowing collective chuckle and Danny says something about Dan not utilising some aspect of The Witness - does anyone have any idea what he was talking about? Think i missed this.

Dont know why I care but just be interesting to hear what part he didn't understand, was it the environmental puzzles?

Tubobutts

Just listening to todays bombcast, Jeff mentions Dan not understanding some aspect of the Switch which garners a knowing collective chuckle and Danny says something about Dan not utilising some aspect of The Witness - does anyone have any idea what he was talking about? Think i missed this.

Dont know why I care but just be interesting to hear what part he didn't understand, was it the environmental puzzles?
Dan finished the witness without finding or knowing about the environmental puzzles.

The potential impact of the Witness' environmental puzzles was lost on me because I noticed it so early. It just felt like part of the moment-to-moment gameplay.

SummitAve

Banned
The potential impact of the Witness' environmental puzzles was lost on me because I noticed it so early. It just felt like part of the moment-to-moment gameplay.

Yeah I have no idea how you can make it through even part of The Witness and not realize the environmental puzzle stuff. There are giant circles with lines in the environment in areas you look at often that make it pretty apparent. The giveaway at the mountain top isn't even the most obvious example imo.

Good on The Witness for even making that a possibility I guess, the environmental puzzles are such a big part of that game, and what elevates it above most puzzle games, that it's crazy that he completely missed all of them.

Yeah I have no idea how you can make it through even part of The Witness and not realize the environmental puzzle stuff. There are giant circles with lines in the environment in areas you look at often that make it pretty apparent. The giveaway at the mountain top isn't even the most obvious example imo.

For me it was the little village area where part of it you're literally walking through a puzzle. It's not even one of those "Oh wow I couldn't tell until I saw it from above!" things either, it was just so obviously a line puzzle.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

Same here sadly, saw the first one in the water as you exit the first area almost immediately. It was only in hind-sight as I started reading posts on GAF that it really dawned on me that this was the "oh shit" twist to the game (similar to Braid's ending in a way). Love the game for doing what it did though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom