• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #26 | goodbye white man blinking gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hindl

They'll pack in Mario or Splatoon or something by the holidays, but I would be flabbergasted if they drop the price in the first year.

Tbh I could see them packing in Zelda. No way will they bundle Mario, that's their big holiday game. Splatoon I could see, especially in Japan. But for either Splatoon or Zelda would've gotten most of their initial sales done by the holidays so they'd be good pack-in candidates. And if you can get the new Nintendo console, Mario, and Zelda for $360 that sounds alright.

But yeah holy shit are those accessory prices bad. I can't wait for a teardown of the doc, it's got good design but that thing can't cost more than $10 to build

Mr. F

Banned
Tbh I could see them packing in Zelda. No way will they bundle Mario, that's their big holiday game. Splatoon I could see, especially in Japan. But for either Splatoon or Zelda would've gotten most of their initial sales done by the holidays so they'd be good pack-in candidates. And if you can get the new Nintendo console, Mario, and Zelda for $360 that sounds alright.

But yeah holy shit are those accessory prices bad. I can't wait for a teardown of the doc, it's got good design but that thing can't cost more than $10 to build

It was pretty grim when they were running through the (USD) prices of the accessories during the GBeast stream, especially the pro controller. They'd never do it but for someone who doesn't give a fuck about amiibo integration in games it's frustrating to not have the option for a slightly more affordable controller without all the NFC tech (if that's one of the justifications for it being the price it is).

Hindl

It was pretty grim when they were running through the (USD) prices of the accessories during the GBeast stream, especially the pro controller. They'd never do it but for someone who doesn't give a fuck about amiibo integration in games it's frustrating to not have the option for a slightly more affordable controller without all the NFC tech (if that's one of the justifications for it being the price it is).

Honestly I'm glad I live in the US. Those prices are bad and chances are shit like NFC and HD Rumble won't really be used, but $10 extra over a DS4 or XB1 controller isn't terrible. But man I've been reading the exchange rate threads here, and prices of the console are translating to up to $400 USD and accessories going over $100. Like no wonder Europe doesn't give a shit about Nintendo

Teddified

Something about the shooting in the new tomb raiders always felt off to me, I still enjoyed the games well enough but something just always felt weird.

Something about the shooting in the new tomb raiders always felt off to me, I still enjoyed the games well enough but something just always felt weird.

I don't know, shooting someone with a shotgun so hard they lose 200% of their body's blood and they fly 30 yards feels pretty right to me.

robotrock

Banned
Not with all the input lag and pointless Ubisoft open world crap.

You can ignore the side stuff, it's fine. input lag is there on the xbone version, sure, but I played on PC and I don't remember it having much of that. Does the PS4 version have a significant amount of input lag?

Curufinwe

It had it, then they patched it, then it came back in, they they patched it out again.

That feeling when they read emails on the Beastcast and you hear "This email comes from [your name] and he has written about [your subject]" just to find out that it's somebody else's email. Fuck you other John. I hope you burn in hell.

I send all my emails in under my Gertrude Perkins pseudonym so I avoid that potential problem.

Curufinwe

Especially compared to Uncharted, where the shooting is awful and enemies take an absurd number of bullets to take down.

Your aiming must be awful because I have no problem being accurate and taking down enemies quickly in Uncharted games, especially 4.

Reminds me of Jeff not liking RE4 because he can't aim properly.

robotrock

Banned
Sleeping Lesson, I don't think your aiming is awful. I have god-tier aiming skills and even I feel unsatisfied shooting in Uncharted games.

Your aiming must be awful because I have no problem being accurate and taking down enemies quickly in Uncharted games, especially 4.

Reminds me of Jeff not liking RE4 because he can't aim properly.

You have to play it with a controller so by default the shooting is bad.

I don't mean that but I still think Tomb Raider is better in that regard.

Sleeping Lesson, I don't think your aiming is awful. I have god-tier aiming skills and even I feel unsatisfied shooting in Uncharted games.

I mean, I'm not denying that I am terrible at aiming with a dual analog gamepad. But still.

Zaph

Good news:
jcFVwBq.png

Bad news:
EVcnMS4.png

Premium news:
NQ8HXK5.png

LiK

Damn, they're doing the full Yakuza series. A thousand hours of content from the Beast coast already. They're long games especially if you do all the sidequests.

West coast better step up.

I actually didn't play Uncharted 4, so I have no idea if they made changes. I remember they added an alternate aiming mode to Uncharted 3 and neither of them felt right to me.

Mr. F

Banned
Honestly I'm glad I live in the US. Those prices are bad and chances are shit like NFC and HD Rumble won't really be used, but $10 extra over a DS4 or XB1 controller isn't terrible. But man I've been reading the exchange rate threads here, and prices of the console are translating to up to $400 USD and accessories going over $100. Like no wonder Europe doesn't give a shit about Nintendo

It's brutal, in Canada after tax the Pro controller is a wonderful $101 (in Ontario). Buying 2 JoyCons together is $112. Shit adds up quick.

Joeku

Pretty sure he meant gameplay wise. Don't forget, he's Brad. if there is busy work to do, stuff to craft or things to collect, he likes it. No matter how pointless it all is.

Considering how he blanketed the generic-as-fuck direct to DVD ending cutscenes in praise, I disagree. He believed the story and cutscenes were better than Uncharted.

And for as fucking trite as Uncharted 4 is (in in many parts, it really is), it has a million times the heart that reboot Tomb Raider does. The only good thing the TR reboot series produced was an animalistic dodge move and that's only thing that contributed to the tone the reboot was actually trying to achieve with its weird The Descent via Arkham Asylum thing. The first one is a trainwreck of overreaching and shitty writing and the second is the biggest case of "Let's Ubisoft everything" I've seen. That scene near the end of RotTR where you
come up through a bunch of holes in ice and murder a bunch of dudes
actually weirdly reaches the predatory nature the first game was trying to reach, though.

oti

Banned
Considering how he blanketed the generic-as-fuck direct to DVD ending cutscenes in praise, I disagree. He believed the story and cutscenes were better than Uncharted.

And for as fucking trite as Uncharted 4 is (in in many parts, it really is), it has a million times the heart that reboot Tomb Raider does. The only good thing the TR reboot series produced was an animalistic dodge move and that's only thing that contributed to the tone the reboot was actually trying to achieve with its weird The Descent via Arkham Asylum thing.

I liked that the TR games tried to be different than Uncharted and succeeded in that. The tombs in ROTTR were pretty great too.

Overall I agree that Unchartred is far superior than those games. But Brad has bad opinions. So it makes sense.

Joeku

I liked that the TR games tried to be different than Uncharted and succeeded in that. The tombs in ROTTR were pretty great too.

Overall I agree that Unchartred is far superior than those games. But Brad has bad opinions. So it makes sense.

I will totally give you that some of the tombs in RotTR are pretty cool. Weird frozen ship in ice and stuff, yeah. Neat ways to bring back that giant clockwork puzzle stuff.

But the way that Tomb Raider tried to be different from Uncharted was by trying to bring in a bunch of pulpy horror elements into it, and that almost completely failed. The game attempted to devolve Lara into an animalistic survivalist while at the same time elevating her into a confident, thoughtful adventurer. It just doesn't work.

Edit: Also I'd just like to add that Rise of the Tomb Raider on XB1 was the first time I actually felt input lag in a game in a way that I was conscious of how it detracted from the experience. I remember it being pretty effing bad.

Zaph

Played through UC 1 to 4 over dec/jan for the first time. Catching up with the Sony exclusives I never played.

UC4 is a way better sequel than UC deserved. Like holy shit, those first 3 games were rough to get through - maybe you had to play them at the time? People made it sound like there was some arcing story through 1-3 that you should see to appreciate 4, but nothing in those 3 games felt developed enough to matter in 4. It was mostly about entirely new characters anyway. Playing it wasn't that fun, but looking at the insane fidelity they got out of a console (Pro), made up for it.

If Uncharted 4 didnt have that 3 hour slog at the start it would be a much better game.

Same with TLOU.

I really hope in TLOU2 they change that and it isnt just a Druckmann "thing".

Joeku

If Uncharted 4 didnt have that 3 hour slog at the start it would be a much better game.

Same with TLOU.

I really hope in TLOU2 they change that and it isnt just a Druckmann "thing".

While I kind of agree with you insofar as Uncharted 4 has slogs, the slogs are the unnecessary "gamey" parts; needless climbing and whatnot suck.

I kind of like the walking simulator stuff in both TLoU and U4. Particularly, some stuff towards the very end of Uncharted 4 is cathartic as fuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom