• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #26 | goodbye white man blinking gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ouch. 3 is literally the worst possible game to start Yakuza. The first third of that game is a horrible, boring mess. No wonder Jeff's never cared about Yakuza.

Combat camera is the worst is the series, too. Yakuza 3 is neat if you're invested after 1&2, but a terrible introduction into the series.

daveo42

Banned
When is that pizza convention? And Giant Bomb HAS to send someone to cover it. I think Jeff and Dan would be the optimal team.

I've been hoping they'd actually do it. I'd be down for Jeff, but Dan would probably complain about eating a zillion calories. I guess he could make up for it by asking a bunch of questions about pizza?

LiK

Y3 is def not a good starting point. It takes everything from Y1 and 2 into account and needs those two games to make you care about what's going on. I will agree with everyone on that.

Volotaire

I love Danny's current playthrough of Ocarina.

It's interesting to watch Danny play the game for the first time and watching what he finds exciting or surprising about the game's mechanics, his thought process on the puzzles and which game mechanics have not held up over time.

Perhaps the Legend of Scanlon might be a good idea after all. However, it would take an incredibly long time to get through one game (especially first time round).

Hindl

It's interesting to watch Danny play the game for the first time and watching what he finds exciting or surprising about the game's mechanics, his thought process on the puzzles and which game mechanics have not held up over time.

Perhaps the Legend of Scanlon might be a good idea after all. However, it would take an incredibly long time to get through one game (especially first time round).

WW would be a good starting spot. Pretty easy and short, and that HD remake cleans up a lot of the bullshit. And if he likes it then he can dig into Ocarina and LTTP. It's a shame though, my top 3 people to partner him with that would be Dan, Danny and Mary and they're all gone

Mupod

As much fun as the MGR playthrough is some of the shit they do hurts me in my soul. Buying the defensive offense skill, not reading it, then immediately complaining about not being able to dodge the gorilla dudes. Commenting about how this one doesn't have long codec conversations even though it totally does, they just aren't listening to them. Aaaaaaagh

But I mean they said from the start this would be a super casual brain dead no stress run, so whatever.

Outside of 1, 4 is the best starting point.

Are you including 0 in this? What makes 4 a good starting point?

Now, I'm not one of those people who thinks you should play games in chronological order. I'd never recommend to start MGS with 3 for example. But a lot of people including myself are asking if 0 is a good place to start for obvious reasons, hell I think they are going to make the OT title something like 'yes you can start with this one'.

Now, I'm not one of those people who thinks you should play games in chronological order. I'd never recommend to start MGS with 3 for example. But a lot of people including myself are asking if 0 is a good place to start for obvious reasons, hell I think they are going to make the OT title something like 'yes you can start with this one'.

4 could be seen as a soft reboot of sorts. It introduces multiple characters, of which the old protagonist is one of four and arguably the least important in the story. 5 picks up from 4.

I haven't played 0 so I can't say. I know it released after 5, so mechanically it's up to date.

I've been enjoying Danny's playthrough as well! It's interesting how modern design conveniences we take for granted that weren't present back then are so obvious when watching someone play it for the first time.

Curufinwe

It wouldn't. A long play thru of a game without any kind of story hook will be boring.

Hopefully they play Donny B fresh, and get their achievement during the QL. It is one of the more common ones according to Steam, so there is a chance...

LNxjVCx.png

hamchan

There's nothing like playing a slow test match in Don Bradman, just carefully blocking all the good balls and then just glancing the slightly too straight balls down to the leg side and getting a single or two from that. Then when the fast bowler bowls a ball that is short and perfect to pull and you get a boundary like you're Ricky Ponting reincarnated it feels great.

So you keep playing patiently for hours, just blocking the balls and getting through many podcasts until you get arrogant enough to think "oh man this ball is a good length and on a good line by being just outside the off stump, but fuck it I'm set batsman and my confidence is high, why don't I just try driving this ball instead of blocking it or leaving it, what's the worst that could happen?" Then you do that and you end up edging a ball to the slips and the carefully constructed innings you spent so long on just comes crashing down around you. You lament your misfortune at doing such a foolish shot and throwing your wicket away when you're on 99 after 170 balls. Then you think, "well this is a fucking ripper of a cricket game."

Wunder

There's nothing like playing a slow test match in Don Bradman, just carefully blocking all the good balls and then just glancing the slightly too straight balls down to the leg side and getting a single or two from that. Then when the fast bowler bowls a ball that is short and perfect to pull and you get a boundary like you're Ricky Ponting reincarnated it feels great.

So you keep playing patiently for hours, just blocking the balls and getting through many podcasts until you get arrogant enough to think "oh man this ball is a good length and on a good line by being just outside the off stump, but fuck it I'm set batsman and my confidence is high, why don't I just try driving this ball instead of blocking it or leaving it, what's the worst that could happen?" Then you do that and you end up edging a ball to the slips and the carefully constructed innings you spent so long on just comes crashing down around you. You lament your misfortune at doing such a foolish shot and throwing your wicket away when you're on 99 after 170 balls. Then you think, "well this is a fucking ripper of a cricket game."

Now thats a sticky wicket

hamchan

Here is also a brief history of cricket:

Cricket used to be played indefinitely over many days until they got a result.

Then some guy said hey wait that's crazy and limited it to five days.

Then some other guy said hey wait that's still crazy and made a new format that only lasted around 6-8 hours.

Then some other other guy said hey wait 8 hours is still a long ass time and they made a new format that only lasted around 3 hours.

And here we are.

Xater

Hopefully they play Donny B fresh, and get their achievement during the QL. It is one of the more common ones according to Steam, so there is a chance...

LNxjVCx.png

I am looking at this achievement trying to understand what it means and I have no clue. Don't even know if the duders would be able to get it.

convo

4 could be seen as a soft reboot of sorts. It introduces multiple characters, of which the old protagonist is one of four and arguably the least important in the story. 5 picks up from 4.

I haven't played 0 so I can't say. I know it released after 5, so mechanically it's up to date.

Yakuza 0 fleshes out characters that you never got to know before in detail. Characters that die off-screen in Y1 with not much impact got a full story in 0. I'd say Y0 has the best boss fights of the series including Y6 since it runs at 60 and the stakes are high. Y0 looks to be the best package the series has ever produced. Also Miracle Johnson and playing as Majima makes it the most desirable game to play for me.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I am looking at this achievement trying to understand what it means and I have no clue. Don't even know if the duders would be able to get it.
I think they did in one of the Quick Looks and that's why the devs called it that.
No idea what it means, but it can't be good.

CleverGeneralBasenji-size_restricted.gif

hamchan

So there are three types of ducks.

The standard duck is when you have faced more than one ball and get 0 runs.
The golden duck is when you immediately get out on the first ball you face with 0 runs.
The diamond duck is when you get out without having even faced a single ball.

I hope this clears it up.

image.php

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

The golden duck is when you immediately get out on the first ball you face with 0 runs.

Which one has the best value?

TraBuch

Banned
As much fun as the MGR playthrough is some of the shit they do hurts me in my soul. Buying the defensive offense skill, not reading it, then immediately complaining about not being able to dodge the gorilla dudes. Commenting about how this one doesn't have long codec conversations even though it totally does, they just aren't listening to them. Aaaaaaagh

But I mean they said from the start this would be a super casual brain dead no stress run, so whatever.

4 is basically the start of a brand new story with some brand new characters. You don't really need any knowledge of previous games outside of a few plot points later in the game, but it's not a big deal. You can just watch the recap videos of the previous games.

0 is a fine starting point, I've just never liked starting a series with the prequel. It's also a better playing game, so it'd be a bit more difficult going from 0 to 4 than the other way around.

Xater

So it's like striking out in baseball? I guess they would be able to do that.

Catvoca

Banned

Which one of them is an explosive duck?

Wunder

how do you get out without having faced a single ball?

Mr. F

Banned

2890316-giphy.gif

Quenk

Because there are batsmen at each end of the pitch, you can get out from having the other batsman hit the ball and you having your wicket tagged while you're running and not across the crease

Cptkrush

Because there are batsmen at each end of the pitch, you can get out from having the other batsman hit the ball and you having your wicket tagged while you're running and not across the crease

What the fuck is this game?

Is cricket anime?

Edit: what are the freaking chances hahaha

hamchan

Lets say you're on the non-strikers end so you're not facing the bowl. Your partner at the other end hits the ball and calls for a run. You start running but then you see your partner hasn't moved at all and has basically stranded you in no man's land in the middle of the pitch. The fielders throw the ball back to your end and knock the bails off your wicket. You have now gotten out without having faced that ball. The other team's fielders sledge you mercilessly for this feat as you walk off the field. Your partner on the other end later says "oh nah man I totally called no run you just didn't hear me." You then play Basketball next year instead.

oti

Banned

THIS EXISTS AND TENNIS VIDEO GAMES DO NOT
LIFE IS UNFAIR

A shining light, even in death. We are Diamond Ducks

Wunder

Lets say you're on the non-strikers end so you're not facing the bowl. Your partner at the other end hits the ball and calls for a run. You start running but then you see your partner hasn't moved at all and has basically stranded you in no man's land in the middle of the pitch. The fielders throw the ball back to your end and knock the bails off your wicket. You have now gotten out without having faced that ball. The other team's fielders sledge you mercilessly for this feat as you walk off the field. Your partner on the other end later says "oh nah man I totally called no run you just didn't hear me." You then play Basketball next year instead.

God I'd be so pissed if that happened

popo

I hope someone has a camera pointed at Jeff when he finds out Bomberman Switch is a full price release. Still not as crazy as that Street Fighter 2 game though.

Nintendo made two unremarkable Mario Tennis games in a row, Hot Shots Tennis died on the PSP, and Prince of Tennis games vanished. What hope is there anymore.

and SEGA released the same Virtua Tennis game three times in a row, more or less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom