• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #26 | goodbye white man blinking gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salarians

Picked up Dark Cloud 2 off the PSN flash sale last night. I figured for a game I've heard so many good things about, grabbing it for less than 5 bucks was a steal. Anyone have any fondness for that one? Looking forward to starting it sometime today.
I loved it, especially the town building aspects.

But I never finished it. I got to a Monica-only floor in the seaside cave dungeon and could never get through it. Still a great game.

Hasney

Loved that game Jason was playing on UPF. I like when they bring random games like that.

Still my favourite premium content.

Man, I fucking miss Ryan and Dave :(

I love the idea of them messing around with modded PC games, though they already have such a finnicky recording setup they probably wouldn't want to take on a project like that.
If you wanna see some modded Elder Scrolls there's always Touch the Skyrim

First time through Sapienza. I hid as the plague doctor and slit the dude's throat, and I dropped a propane tank onto a fireplace as the lady walked by. Now I'm in the lab. One collateral kill but no bodies "found" per se.

Feels good.

I'd like to see a GBEast Planet Coaster series. What would such a feature be called?

Got Hitman on PC. First game I have double dipped on since that time I lost my copy of LocoRoco.

Man, LocoRoco is great! Having the digital version, I'm able to download it to Vita. Such a shame they never made a proper Vita one, taking advantage of the gyroscopes. Can't wait for the PS4 version.

I'd like to see a GBEast Planet Coaster series. What would such a feature be called?

Meeeee too. That was one of my favorite Quick Looks in a while. It would only get better adding Dan to the mix. And Bakalar said he was getting really into it on the Beastcast as well. I'd really love all four of them sitting in on a series like that, would be loads of fun.

I'd imagine the title of the series would incorporate the phrase "Chief Beast" in some way.

Meeeee too. That was one of my favorite Quick Looks in a while. It would only get better adding Dan to the mix. And Bakalar said he was getting really into it on the Beastcast as well. I'd really love all four of them sitting in on a series like that, would be loads of fun.

I'd imagine the title of the series would incorporate the phrase "Chief Beast" in some way.

Maybe Vinny World or Vinnyland (like Disney World and Disneyland)? And maybe the series could be about any amusement park game that comes around. I still would like to see them check out Parkitect. It's far more like RCT 1 and 2 than any other of the new amusement park games. My favorite, though, is still NoLimits 2, just because of what the potential of what people can make (and have made). It's far too complicated and advanced for most people (it's more software than game). This is what's possible: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=841419094

Just watched the Yakuza 0 Quick Look, while I'm sure Alex and Dan will do a good job on the series, I'd really love to have seen more of Jeff playing that game. Also really wished they'd put those games out on PC so I could play them.

Do you think Ocarina of Time would hold up for someone who never played it before? I finally picked up a 3DS to play Dragon Quest VIII, so was thinking about finally playing the 64-era zelda games for the first time.

oti

Banned
Listening to the Giant Beastcast.

I don't get Vinny's point when it comes to disk space on Switch. Yes, 32GB is a lot less than 500GB on PS4. But one is a console with a traditional HDD, the other a tablet with flash storage. Just look at the price difference between different iPhone storage configurations and it should be pretty obvious why Nintendo went with 32GB. Unless people wanted to pay 400€ for 64GB, this is the best solution. The Micro-SD market is so competitive, it would be stupid to not take advantage of it.

Dan's argument "but it has always been like that with Nintendo" is super lame. Like, what argument is that even.

Jeff talks about how rough Zelda's performance on Switch was. I watched a Digital Foundry video and they confirmed that its framerate drops at spots, but they called them insignificant or something like that. They have a video up with their analysis of the demo footage, if you want to watch it. They don't seem to happen very often. Hopefully it will run okay once it comes out.

Alex makes great points.

Snagret

If you wanna see some modded Elder Scrolls there's always Touch the Skyrim
TtS is fantastic, but some people here really hate the
McElroys
so I try not to bring them up anymore :p

Do you think Ocarina of Time would hold up for someone who never played it before? I finally picked up a 3DS to play Dragon Quest VIII, so was thinking about finally playing the 64-era zelda games for the first time.
OoT is still pretty fantastic. The campaign is fairly long but it manages to maintain a great pace with a lot of variety over almost the entire game, the puzzles in the dungeons hold up pretty well I think, and it controls really well considering the time frame it came out. The 3DS version is really good, for the most part it's "just better", although they made some minor graphical changes here and there that alter the visual tone of the game a bit. They made some areas look a lot brighter and more colorful, which slightly clashes with the darker mood of the original game. It shouldn't bother you if you don't have that reference point, though.

Alex makes great points.
So it's business as usual, then :p

Volotaire

There will be archaic mechanics. The save system in the game may infuriate you and there are specific game sequences near the start of the game that are bad. However, reading about the UI (boots are sub items) and framerate improvements in OoT 3D should alleviate some of the problems.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Is it that dumb 1000 GS game? They really have huge nostalgia for that early 360 stuff for some reason.

strafer

Is that Dan Ryckert?

C2ubY9MUsAA6k3v.jpg

Snagret

Is that Dan Ryckert?

C2ubY9MUsAA6k3v.jpg
No, that's an old woman in a wheelchair.
Edit: Beaten by Piston

There will be archaic mechanics. The save system in the game may infuriate you and there are specific game sequences near the start of the game that are bad. However, reading about the UI (boots are sub items) and framerate improvements in OoT 3D should alleviate some of the problems.
What's wrong with the save system in OoT? Isn't it the same as all modern Zeldas? Unless you mean MM, in which case yeah it's kinda fucked.

Scizzy

I don't get Vinny's point when it comes to disk space on Switch. Yes, 32GB is a lot less than 500GB on PS4. But one is a console with a traditional HDD, the other a tablet with flash storage. Just look at the price difference between different iPhone storage configurations and it should be pretty obvious why Nintendo went with 32GB. Unless people wanted to pay 400€ for 64GB, this is the best solution. The Micro-SD market is so competitive, it would be stupid to not take advantage of it.

I thought of this when Vinny was talking about having to stop assuming too much about what the "common" person thinks about things. Micro-SD cards really are so cheap that almost anyone with the disposable income for a Switch (not really even me right now) can drop $20 and triple the capacity.

oti

Banned
I thought of this when Vinny was talking about having to stop assuming too much about what the "common" person thinks about things. Micro-SD cards really are so cheap that almost anyone with the disposable income for a Switch (not really even me right now) can drop $20 and triple the capacity.

Micro-SD is everywhere and enough people buy Samsung phones so they know the drill. That's why they are so cheap in the end. This is a good thing.

Zornack

iPhone games aren't 13 GB. Nintendo is pushing an additional cost of going digital to the consumer.

oti

Banned
iPhone games aren't 13 GB. Nintendo is pushing an additional cost of going digital to the consumer.

Flash storage is still flash storage. It doesn't matter what you store on it.

And again, this would have been either 100€ extra for 32GB additional flash storage or 100€ extra for 200GB additional Micro-SD storage.

Hindl

What I hope Nintendo does is allow to swap out MicroSD cards without having problems. The OS is loaded on the internal storage, so hopefully you can just put whole games on the SD card. If I could just have 3 or so MicroSD cards that'll have all my games and I can just swap them out for each other without having any hassle then I'd be ok

Zornack

Flash storage is still flash storage. It doesn't matter what you store on it.

And again, this would have been either 100€ extra costs for 32GB additional flash storage or 100€ extra costs for 200GB additional Micro-SD storage.

128gb micro sdxc cards cost $40. Bundle one of those with every switch and sell the thing at a loss or get rid of the IR sensor and motion gimicks that will be used in 1% of games developed for that thing and continue to sell for a profit.

I don't know what the perfect solution is but selling a device with less than 32GB of storage when the flagship launch title takes up 13 GB is just another case of moving the cost along to the consumer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom