• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #26 | goodbye white man blinking gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamchan

I'm with Vinny on feeling sort of done with Sherlock after watching that first ep of the new season.

Good choice. 2nd episode is good but the third goes back to being a wreck. It's such a shame to see a show that was absolutely top notch in its first two seasons just completely fall up its own ass.

TraBuch

Banned
Watched the first episode of Doctor Thorne and didn't like it.

They need more Austen. Pride and Prejudice, but in space. Darcy and Elizabeth, from different worlds. He's a snobbish alien prince with a heart of gold. She's a poor human from Mars. Their worlds will collide. Literally. Only their love can save Mars and Vezpir. Will they be able to overcome their pride and prejudices?

jaina

We'll probably get VR footage of it from the West too.
They sent Brad's PS VR (or the review unit?) over to East, at the end of last year. For this purpose, I guess.

And Dan said he will (or his) playing the whole of RE 7 in VR. I assume with short "normal" sessions for review purposes. Curious how Vinny will set up the studio for the QL.

Strax

Sherlock might be the only TV show I've seen where the first ep is the best ep.
I just started watching the show two weeks ago and I finished first ep of season 4 yesterday. I think the turning point (to worse) for the show was Mary and the focus on her. But I still think even if season 3 was at the same level as season 1/2 it wouldn't be in my top 10 fav. TV shows.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Sherlock might be the only TV show I've seen where the first ep is the best ep.
I just started watching the show two weeks ago and I finished first ep of season 4 yesterday. I think the turning point (to worse) for the show was Mary and the focus on her. But I still think even if season 3 was at the same level as season 1/2 it wouldn't be in my top 10 fav. TV shows.

Sherlock turned for me when their interpretation of Moriarty was "that Dark Knight thing was popular right? What if he was The Joker"

Sherlock turned for me when their interpretation of Moriarty was "that Dark Knight thing was popular right? What if he was The Joker"

That reminds me

anyone remember the sherlock holmes cartoon where moriarity went to the future so they froze holmes and woke him up in the future and he had to work with some future cop lady because he didn't understand the future but because he's sherlock holmes he was able to outsmart the future

That show was great.

Lindsaymv

That reminds me

anyone remember the sherlock holmes cartoon where moriarity went to the future so they froze holmes and woke him up in the future and he had to work with some future cop lady because he didn't understand the future but because he's sherlock holmes he was able to outsmart the future

That show was great.

I feel like they played that show right on the cusp where I had to go to school, probably in the 8-8.30 slot. Totally remember it, seemed awesome but I mostly just saw the first 5 mins and whatever the theme song was (my brain is just giving ne batman beyond on repeat)

danm999

That reminds me

That show was great.

Wait, isn't that just Demolition Man? Does he clean his butt with sea shells?

Tubobutts

That reminds me

That show was great.
No but searching for it led me to this which I remember nothing about other than that I watched it.

Meneses

That's exactly what happened to me. That shit was terrible. Also Mary was pretty bad.

All things considered I think I only really enjoyed the first season, maybe because it was new and fresh? The others had some decent stuff here and there but things got progressively worse. Season 4 is just bad (even if episode 2 is alright).

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
The GAF GotY voting is a good reminder of the Giant Bomb bubble. Hopefully the new hire can expand the bubble out a bit so it's not just old dudes with basically the same opinions on games for the next GotY.
Looking at other outlets, I vastly prefer their list. It's also pretty damn varied. Not like, you know, in a bubble.

edit: Oh man, I just saw the GAF GotY.

Salarians

new VRodeo mats

The Testament of Sherlock Holmes and Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments are great Sherlock Holmes games.

Bombcast compilation where Justin McElroy talks about them (MAJOR SPOILERS, also the best thing ever): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHaayrkqhdA
Testament quick look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhODEas4aPE
Crimes and Punishments quick look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZP4FwJm1tQ (1:46:07!)
I only played C&P and I loved it, really good game

haven't heard anything great about the new one though

hamchan

I think the Giant Bomb list is pretty great. Maybe the best list they've ever made.

a bubble is genuinely believing Uncharted 4 is the best games had to offer last year

Plus FFXV at number 6. Good lord. I enjoyed playing through it but a game that incomplete and disappointing even after the lowered standards from FFXIII shouldn't be anywhere near the top. But y'know, it pretty much is a popularity contest at some point when polling a large group like GAF. No surprises the largest Sony exclusive of the year that sold a ton gets GOTY. More people that played it, more people that can vote for it.

Meguro

Banned
If I had made a list FFXV would probably have been higher than number 6.
Sorry for being in a bubble.
Ranking things is lame

Meguro

Banned
XIII is the game that made me almost quit playing JRPGs or any japanese game ever again.
I hate it that much. It's the prettiest trash.

I only played C&P and I loved it, really good game

haven't heard anything great about the new one though
Yeah, I intentionally left The Devil's Daughter (the newest one) out. Many of the added mini-games and QTEs bring it down. I paid full price on PSN at launch for it. :(

robotrock

Banned
The bubble is also when the PS Vita GotY gets like 8 times the amount of points compared to the Xbox One Goty.

Do you see that XB1 list? It's exclusives, so Forza, Gears, and Quantum Break aren't qualified I guess. Rocket League is on that list though so I'm not really sure how it exactly works.

I wish Forza Horizon 3 ranked somewhere on the top 20 games of the year list though.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
If I had made a list FFXV would probably have been higher than number 6.
Sorry for being in a bubble.
Ranking things is lame
I think the later released GotYs often had FFXV in them.

Ranking things is fun

Do you see that XB1 list? It's exclusives, so Forza, Gears, and Quantum Break aren't qualified I guess. Rocket League is on that list though so I'm not really sure how it exactly works.

I wish Forza Horizon 3 ranked somewhere on the top 20 games of the year list though.
Yeah I'm a little confused how that list works to be honest.

I'm still mystified by Uncharted 4 as Best Story. It didn't even try to address the ludonarrative dissonance. It's like a popcorn movie patched into a completely unrelated game.

We need a Ranking of Stories, stat.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Of the most disappointing award?
The game was only ok, not a patch on the original. The ending was so unsatisfying

But the actual ending of the game is the true ending of the original, which holds the title as the most satisfying ending ever created by man.

Catvoca

Banned
But the actual ending of the game is the true ending of the original.

I get that but it's so short and abrupt. I was expecting more. It didn't do a lot to tie up the plot threads left in SG:O I thought.

Agreed on the original SG ending. It was sooo good.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I get that but it's so short and abrupt. I was expecting more. It didn't do a lot to tie up the plot threads left in SG:O I thought.

Agreed on the original SG ending. It was sooo good.

Ah well, to me in the end the point of 0 was more about the process than the end result. And I enjoyed the journey a lot
except for kagari and yuki. Like, why?

Salarians

XIII is the game that made me almost quit playing JRPGs or any japanese game ever again.
I hate it that much. It's the prettiest trash.
indeed it is

XIV is the real winner of recent FFs

Yeah, I intentionally left The Devil's Daughter (the newest one) out. Many of the added mini-games and QTEs bring it down. I paid full price on PSN at launch for it. :(
yeah, I read some reviews on Amazon and that's what most people cite, as well as the changes to the protagonist's characterizations

hopefully they get another go at it, more cases on C&P's level of quality is all I really want

Joeku

That's exactly what happened to me. That shit was terrible. Also Mary was pretty bad.

All things considered I think I only really enjoyed the first season, maybe because it was new and fresh? The others had some decent stuff here and there but things got progressively worse. Season 4 is just bad (even if episode 2 is alright).

S2E1, A Scandal in Belgravia, is some of the best modern TV ever made. Did far more for the Sherlock character in one episode than all of what seasons 3 and 4 tried to do combined.

The Testament of Sherlock Holmes and Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments are great Sherlock Holmes games.

Bombcast compilation where Justin McElroy talks about them (MAJOR SPOILERS, also the best thing ever): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHaayrkqhdA
Testament quick look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhODEas4aPE
Crimes and Punishments quick look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZP4FwJm1tQ (1:46:07!)

These games are actually pretty good, yeah. I played SH vs Jack the Ripper while staying out of town a few years back and had a blast. I think I got C&P on PS+. I should get to that.

uncharted 4's epilogue did nothing for me

What about the rest of the game?

The epilogue was the best part.

It really felt like Druckmann wanted to do a story about Nathan Drake in walking simulator bits, then added a bunch of Uncharted in between them, though. Not that that's a bad thing.

The Technomancer

That reminds me

That show was great.
omg I'm watching this tonight

The Technomancer

Ranking of Fighters remains my favorite feature premise on a "that's so dumb" level. I usually tend to skip around through the videos themselves, but I so appreciate that they get made

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom