• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #26 | goodbye white man blinking gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Follow the money
This is the money shot

LguG3k0.jpg

Mr. F

Banned
Yeah man its sad. One of the main reasons I got a sub was for that podcast and they havent given us one in ages. There has been a ton of stuff to talk about too. I kinda wish Dan and Alex would just do it if Jeff is the one who isnt motivated for it. I know he doesnt watch as much current stuff as they do, so I would be totally fine if it was just a 2 man show. It doesnt even have to be that long. 30-45 mins would suffice.

It's funny they advertise that on the premium promo video along with Box Office Bomb

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I mean it's a game about relationships. Not just romantic ones, but persona is very explicitly about how relationships form the way we are, or more correctly how to be a complete sycophant to get absolute power.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Persona was good back when it was good. Killing Hitler, like you should be doing in a video game. None of this going to class and hanging out bullshit. Kids in games should be skipping class to shoot demons with guns, dammit.

yami4ct

I mean it's a game about relationships. Not just romantic ones, but persona is very explicitly about how relationships form the way we are, or more correctly how to be a complete sycophant to get absolute power.

If you want to take waifu junk all to seriously, sure. There's a good reason the dumb waifu war stuff took off with persona more than basically any other game with dating and it's a testament more to the strength of the writing than cute character designs.

Catvoca

Banned
Persona was good back when it was good. Killing Hitler, like you should be doing in a video game. None of this going to class and hanging out bullshit. Kids in games should be skipping class to shoot demons with guns, dammit.

Yeah but what if the kids had to put a gun to their head and shoot themselves every fight they got into?

FluxWaveZ

There's a good reason the dumb waifu war stuff took off with persona more than basically any other game with dating and it's a testament more to the strength of the writing than cute character designs.

Disagree. Waifu shit is as prevalent with Persona as it is with any Japanese game with more than one attractive female in the cast.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Yeah but what if the kids had to put a gun to their head and shoot themselves every fight they got into?

Fake guns with no bullets don't count. Persona games were at their best when you could choose to end any encounter by talking to somebody or by shooting them. Just like real life.

Catvoca

Banned
Disagree. Waifu shit is as prevalent with Persona as it is with any Japanese game with more than one attractive female in the cast.

Yeah, Danganronpa has the same shit and those games have literally nothing to do with dating.

Fake guns with no bullets don't count. Persona games were at their best when you could choose to end any encounter by talking to somebody or by shooting them. Just like real life.

I can't relate to that, i don't live in America.

yami4ct

Nah. It's certainly even more prevalent with persona.

Speaking as someone who frequents the circles where this kind of stuff comes up, Persona waifu talk is more frequent, more contentious and generally dumber because of that. Only thing that can compete in terms of scale of discussion is FE. Other games have it, but none to it to the degree of Persona.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
And FE waifu talk is extra dumb too because the characters are all fucking terrible.

At least persona tries to make the characters actual characters and not cliche 101.

FluxWaveZ

Nah. It's certainly even more prevalent with persona.

Speaking as someone who frequents the circles where this kind of stuff comes up, Persona waifu talk is more frequent, more contentious and generally dumber because of that. Only thing that can compete in terms of scale of discussion is FE. Other games have it, but none to it to the degree of Persona.

I guess I'm completely (and very gladly) ignorant of what the battlefields for these discussions look like, because it all feels the same just from an outsider's perspective. Like, I hear more about Overwatch for this than Persona these days.

yami4ct

FE gets waifu talk because of the damn sheer volume of characters now really.

I wouldn't shit on FE for its characters really. I mean, they could be better, but it's really the writing around them that fails them more than the characters themselves. Even at their worst like Fates, they do a little better than pure anime stereotypes. Too bad 90% of that character is locked behind supports.

I guess I'm completely (and very gladly) ignorant of what the battlefields for these discussions look like, because it all feels the same just from an outsider's perspective. Like, I hear more about Overwatch for this than Persona these days.

I wasn't thinking of OW because it's not 'real' anime, but yeah. OW *might* be worse about waifu junk than Persona now. Partly because Blizzard actively feeds that stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom