• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #26 | goodbye white man blinking gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

TraBuch

Banned
Yup. I've been saying it's gotta be another video guy to free up Vinny. I hope they can poach Ben Hanson from Game Informer. When he guested on The Beastcast (I think he was in town with GI to do the Switch event), he fit in so perfectly. His history with Dan makes it all the better. Each coast would then have a video guy with Dan history.

He could bring his AFI podcast with him.

jaina

That is the title of the thread in its entirety. I posted it. I didn't have enough room for Colin's name and I figured Greg was probably the better known of the two. If I could rename it, it'd be PS I Love You XOXO: Kinda Funny's PlayStation Podcast. At the time I posted the thread, Kinda Funny was still new, so I wanted to have something recognizable to fans of the old Podcast Beyond and I knew Greg was a well known commodity.
Heh thanks for the info. I appreciate your often long responses to any questions!

robotrock

Banned
Anyhoo, back to Giant Bomb. It may be just me, but I'd really like to see (maybe in a VRodeo- whenever we get another one) Jeff check out PSVR on PC. There is third-party thing that allows PSVR to work with SteamVR games. Apparently it works well enough.

I haven't looked this up in a while but have they managed to get positional tracking to work? That needs to happen, or else, it's about as useless as an Oculus DK1

Heh thanks for the info. I appreciate your often long responses to any questions!

HAHA. Well, I'm used to answering that question. Early on in that thread, some people would be angry about the title. At this point, it's almost an auto response.

I haven't looked this up in a while but have they managed to get positional tracking to work? That needs to happen, or else, it's about as useless as an Oculus DK1

https://www.reddit.com/r/PSVR/comments/5krp39/trinus_vr_positional_tracking/

Looks like it?

I do think it's odd they are charging for it though. Though, the last time someone charged for non-official PC support for a Sony device, Sony ended up making their own, free thing shortly thereafter. It happened with Remote Play on PC. Someone made a third-party thing that allowed for PC Remote Play, and then Sony announced their own a couple weeks later. I hope Sony makes official drivers.

It's probably already been posted, but now I need to hear thoughts from both coasts on the actual return of the Terminator with that James Cameron/Tim Miller reboot.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1336254

This will obviously come of as fan-fiction (because it is), but I wish that Terminator 4 (which ended up being Salvation) took place in the universe of Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. If anyone saw that show, they know that a (relatively) friendly female Terminator (named Cameron) came to save John from another Terminator (named Cromartie). They end up jumping time from 1997 to many years later (2008?). A lot happens, but one major moment that happens in the final season is that the female Terminator goes to the future. John follows her (he sort of developed feelings for her). While there, he sees Allison, the human that Cameron is said to have based her appearance on (he also sees Derek Reese (brother of Kyle) who John just moments prior, saw shot dead in the past).

My concept would be John, now in the future, is able to stop Cromartie from going back in time. Thus, there would be two timelines, John in the future and John in the past. Essentially the old timeline would be restored. In my concept, future John would be killed by the machines, who revel in their victory. Shortly, thereafter, John from the past (the John from T3) would awaken from the bomb shelter with his girlfriend. This causes a glitch in the machines, who confirmed that John was dead and provides the needed turning point for the Resistance. Yeah, it's a bit on the nose, as it would be the apparent resurrection of someone with the initials JC. I think it would be neat, as past John would be confused as to why he is worshiped as a hero, when he has yet to do anything to be worthy of it.

popo

if you guys keep talking about Colin, Brad will leave Giant Bomb

That is not the threat it once was.

Yeah, I think that was the first time they mentioned it.

It makes me wonder if CBSI says "we have the personality site in GB, get everyone out of gamespot, and maybe divert some of that budget to GB. Because gamespot will make the same amount of money without actually having anyone on staff"

CBS have replaced everyone who left Gamespot - with younger, cheaper labour.

I imagine the sites do not have a shared budget, but if they did - GS would get it. It still makes money.

Their core audience don't care about videos or personalities. For a time the execs let ppl like Danny run with the idea that long form video and personality led features could appeal to the GS mayfly audience. It didn't. Now they get Top Ten Game of Thrones Shite and I bet they are happier with it.

Seriously... I often feel like an oddity in that I really like Giant Bomb, Kinda Funny, and Easy Allies.

I read the thread every day and haven't seen any vocal minority complaining about something. Who's making a fuss and what is the fuss about?
See my earlier post about people complaining about the title "Tales from the East". I like the allies and giant bomb. No reason you can't enjoy both as they both put out some quality entertainment. Personally, I gave kinda funny a chance but they(Colin) just aren't for me.

Which franchise had been dragged through the dirt the worst, Terminator or Alien?

I think the first 2 Alien films are better then the first 2 Terminator films but I guess Terminator hasnt had stuff like the AvP movies and Prometheus.

Terminator Genysis is probably the worst movie in both franchises though.

Havent watched Alien in a while. I should watch Alien again.

imBask

Banned
Worthless poster

what do you mean by poster

you know
A poster is any piece of printed paper designed to be attached to a wall or vertical surface.[1] Typically posters include both textual and graphic elements, although a poster may be either wholly graphical or wholly text. Posters are designed to be both eye-catching and informative. Posters may be used for many purposes. They are a frequent tool of advertisers (particularly of events, musicians and films), propagandists, protestors and other groups trying to communicate a message. Posters are also used for reproductions of artwork, particularly famous works, and are generally low-cost compared to original artwork. The modern poster, as we know it, however, dates back to the 1840s and 1850s when the printing industry perfected colour lithography and made mass production possible." [2]

According to the French historian Max Gallo, "for over two hundred years, posters have been displayed in public places all over the world. Visually striking, they have been designed to attract the attention of passers-by, making us aware of a political viewpoint, enticing us to attend specific events, or encouraging us to purchase a particular product or service."[3] The modern poster, as we know it, however, dates back to the mid-nineteenth century, when several separate but related changes took place. First, the printing industry perfected colour lithography and made mass production of large and inexpensive images possible. Second, government censorship of public spaces in countries like France was lifted. And finally, advertisers began to market mass-produced consumer goods to a growing populace in urban areas.[4]

"In little more than a hundred years", writes poster expert John Barnicoat, "it has come to be recognized as a vital art form, attracting artists at every level, from painters like Toulouse-Lautrec and Mucha to theatrical and commercial designers."[5] They have ranged in styles from Art Nouveau, Symbolism, Cubism, and Art Deco to the more formal Bauhaus and the often incoherent hippie posters of the 1960s.

Posters, in the form of placards and posted bills, have been used since earliest times, primarily for advertising and announcements. Purely textual posters have a long history: they advertised the plays of Shakespeare and made citizens aware of government proclamations for centuries. However, the great revolution in posters was the development of printing techniques that allowed for cheap mass production and printing, including notably the technique lithography which was invented in 1796 by the German Alois Senefelder. The invention of lithography was soon followed by chromolithography, which allowed for mass editions of posters illustrated in vibrant colours to be printed.

By the 1890s, the technique had spread throughout Europe. A number of noted French artists created poster art in this period, foremost amongst them Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, Jules Chéret, Eugène Grasset, Adolphe Willette, Pierre Bonnard, Louis Anguetin, Georges de Feure and Henri-Gabriel Ibels.[6] Chéret is considered to be the "father" of advertisement placards. He was a pencil artist and a scene decorator, who founded a small lithography office in Paris in 1866. He used striking characters, contrast and bright colours, and created over 1000 advertisements, primarily for exhibitions, theatres, and products. The industry soon attracted the service of many aspiring painters who needed a source of revenue to support themselves.

and that's why Invisible Inc is dope

what do you mean by poster

you know
A poster is any piece of printed paper designed to be attached to a wall or vertical surface.[1] Typically posters include both textual and graphic elements, although a poster may be either wholly graphical or wholly text. Posters are designed to be both eye-catching and informative. Posters may be used for many purposes. They are a frequent tool of advertisers (particularly of events, musicians and films), propagandists, protestors and other groups trying to communicate a message. Posters are also used for reproductions of artwork, particularly famous works, and are generally low-cost compared to original artwork. The modern poster, as we know it, however, dates back to the 1840s and 1850s when the printing industry perfected colour lithography and made mass production possible." [2]

According to the French historian Max Gallo, "for over two hundred years, posters have been displayed in public places all over the world. Visually striking, they have been designed to attract the attention of passers-by, making us aware of a political viewpoint, enticing us to attend specific events, or encouraging us to purchase a particular product or service."[3] The modern poster, as we know it, however, dates back to the mid-nineteenth century, when several separate but related changes took place. First, the printing industry perfected colour lithography and made mass production of large and inexpensive images possible. Second, government censorship of public spaces in countries like France was lifted. And finally, advertisers began to market mass-produced consumer goods to a growing populace in urban areas.[4]

"In little more than a hundred years", writes poster expert John Barnicoat, "it has come to be recognized as a vital art form, attracting artists at every level, from painters like Toulouse-Lautrec and Mucha to theatrical and commercial designers."[5] They have ranged in styles from Art Nouveau, Symbolism, Cubism, and Art Deco to the more formal Bauhaus and the often incoherent hippie posters of the 1960s.

Posters, in the form of placards and posted bills, have been used since earliest times, primarily for advertising and announcements. Purely textual posters have a long history: they advertised the plays of Shakespeare and made citizens aware of government proclamations for centuries. However, the great revolution in posters was the development of printing techniques that allowed for cheap mass production and printing, including notably the technique lithography which was invented in 1796 by the German Alois Senefelder. The invention of lithography was soon followed by chromolithography, which allowed for mass editions of posters illustrated in vibrant colours to be printed.

By the 1890s, the technique had spread throughout Europe. A number of noted French artists created poster art in this period, foremost amongst them Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, Jules Chéret, Eugène Grasset, Adolphe Willette, Pierre Bonnard, Louis Anguetin, Georges de Feure and Henri-Gabriel Ibels.[6] Chéret is considered to be the "father" of advertisement placards. He was a pencil artist and a scene decorator, who founded a small lithography office in Paris in 1866. He used striking characters, contrast and bright colours, and created over 1000 advertisements, primarily for exhibitions, theatres, and products. The industry soon attracted the service of many aspiring painters who needed a source of revenue to support themselves.

and that's why Invisible Inc is dope

Did you just copy and paste a Wikipedia article about posters?

Edit- Yup! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poster

imBask

Banned
apparently people take everything as HARD OPINIONS

I liked Austin, just not as much as everyone else here. There's a way to get your point across without having to explain everything that happened since 1918 leading up to the release of a $20 indie game. Nothing wrong with being articulate.

Mr. F

Banned
He's not entirely right but he's not entirely wrong either. I wouldn't have thought so in the GB era but Waypoint's podcast kind of soured me on Austin a tiny bit.

TraBuch

Banned
I hate the idea that because we all like Giant Bomb, we apparently have to love everyone that makes up Giant Bomb. Austin had an annoying tendency to just overpower conversations, and it's gotten worse now that he's the boss. You can like him and acknowledge that he had his faults, like everybody.

it hilarious how many juniors are coming out of the woodwork with their fucking garbage in the Read only memories thread LOL.

That along with the "no politics in muh game" whiners and the "this wont make any money" people

oti

Banned
it hilarious how many juniors are coming out of the woodwork with their fucking garbage in the Read only memories thread LOL.

That along with the "no politics in muh game" whiners

Same thing happens whenever a positive Germany/Merkel thread comes up. Every single time.
Neogaf can be weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom