• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #26 | goodbye white man blinking gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fitting since Chris Berman is a terrible announcer. I hope he never shows up on any sports broadcast that I see ever again. Terrible impressions of sports announcers are pretty standard, though I think. Especially it is very easy to find someone who thinks the terrible impression sounds better than the actual article.

He's been in a downward spiral since the mid-90's. While I don't remember his commentary of it (I do remember watching the game live), some say his last great game was calling Cal Ripken's 2,131st straight start on September 6th, 1995 in Baltimore when they played the Angels.

Mupod

I'm giddy with excitement for the start of the Yakuza 0 playthrough. Some of these substories are insane

I thought I'd be just sticking to mainline stuff and ignoring the sidequests but I feel like now I'm doing the opposite. I've been in chapter 6 for ages. Almost all of them have been memorable, some funny and some heartwarming. The doll girl one with Majima got me good
when he compared himself to the cut up plush toy.

I hope they don't skip too many of them, although I guess that this series would go on for a decade if they try to do everything. Since this isn't a pre-recorded endurance run at least people could nudge them in the right direction for certain substories.

robotrock

Banned
I mean... kind of? I hate space in pretty much any medium, and I do enjoy the kind of shock people express when I say I haven't seen any of them. At this point, the satisfaction I get from that is probably more than what I would get from actually watching the movies.

I love you justjim89 but this is the attitude of a shitposter

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
He's been in a downward spiral since the mid-90's. While I don't remember his commentary of it (I do remember watching the game live), some say his last great game was calling Cal Ripken's 2,131st straight start on September 6th, 1995 in Baltimore when they played the Angels.

I have the misfortune to live the market where ESPN dumped Chris once a year (or more when people became indisposed) to announce an NFL game. IT IS THE WORST. Thankfully I won't have this issue anymore because the team is leaving town! (Not sad, the owner is a scumbag and can enjoy his team rotting in LA where no one wants him).

Wunder

I thought I'd be just sticking to mainline stuff and ignoring the sidequests but I feel like now I'm doing the opposite. I've been in chapter 6 for ages. Almost all of them have been memorable, some funny and some heartwarming. The doll girl one with Majima got me good
when he compared himself to the cut up plush toy.

I hope they don't skip too many of them, although I guess that this series would go on for a decade if they try to do everything. Since this isn't a pre-recorded endurance run at least people could nudge them in the right direction for certain substories.

Yeah, I also don't know if I'm missing any if I go to the next chapter or something, so I end up trying to complete them all before moving on.

Lunar FC

I have the misfortune to live the market where ESPN dumped Chris once a year (or more when people became indisposed) to announce an NFL game. IT IS THE WORST. Thankfully I won't have this issue anymore because the team is leaving town! (Not sad, the owner is a scumbag and can enjoy his team rotting in LA where no one wants him).

Rockies about to run the NL West this year doe!

My friend was freaking out the other day when he saw jeff bridges

digit147jxn.png

dan2026

I hope they wait for the release of remastered Yakuza 1 on PS4 before playing it.

I would bet any money that the ps2 original does not hold up so well.

I'm still partial to Beast in the East
I like that name as well. However, easy allies got a bunch of shit when they named a segment "tales from the east" and changed it to "tales from Japan". People were saying it's offensive and racist. The arguments being thrown around were truly idiotic and hinged on the premise that calling it the east meant America was the center. Which would be a legitimate argument except for the fact that the Americas and Europe refers to itself as the West.

pizzacat

Banned
I like that name as well. However, easy allies got a bunch of shit when they named a segment "tales from the east" and changed it to "tales from Japan". People were saying it's offensive and racist. The arguments being thrown around were truly idiotic and hinged on the premise that calling it the east meant America was the center. Which would be a legitimate argument except for the fact that the Americas and Europe refers to itself as the West.
Man shenmue fans are the worst

Aerocrane

Yeah, I also don't know if I'm missing any if I go to the next chapter or something, so I end up trying to complete them all before moving on.

I don't think any of the substories in Yakuza 0 are missable. You can get an item that will show substory locations on your map, for Kiryu it is a reward from a substory that becomes available in chapter 5.

Wunder

I don't think any of the substories in Yakuza 0 are missable. You can get an item that will show substory locations on your map, for Kiryu it is a reward from a substory that becomes available in chapter 5.

Good to know! It was starting to be a bit of a burden since I don't wanna miss out on a funny story but I also wanted to just get on with the main story beat at the same time.

Mr. F

Banned
After some debate I think I'm just going to watch the yakuza play through rather than pick it up myself. At the core brawler combat doesn't do much for me after a while, despite how awesome everything around it looks.

The name better be good.

BearPawB

Banned
After some debate I think I'm just going to watch the yakuza play through rather than pick it up myself. At the core brawler combat doesn't do much for me after a while, despite how awesome everything around it looks.

The name better be good.

I bought it last week just so I could watch the series without being spoiled.
And I am loving it. It is like Shenmue and Deadly Premonition had a lovechild.

I do question how fun a playthrough of this will be to watch.
There are a lot of fetch sidequests and not a whole lot of room for unique emergent experiences.

You can't really do much to fuck the game up basically. And it is going to be a lot of sitting around watching cutscenes

The story has been great so far. The sidequests (even the fetch quests) almost always have a great payoff.

But I am glad I am playing it first to experience the stuff first hand.

BearPawB

Banned
Seriously... I often feel like an oddity in that I really like Giant Bomb, Kinda Funny, and Easy Allies.

You are.
(also that is way too much content for one human to take in).

I like Greg but Colin is a miserable prick and I would rather put my hand down a running garbage disposal than ever listen to anything he is in.

You are.
(also that is way too much content for one human to take in).

I like Greg but Colin is a miserable prick and I would rather put my hand down a running garbage disposal than ever listen to anything he is in.

Well, for Easy Allies, I'm usually in for the podcasts, their "unplugged" stuff (D&D, Fiasco), and the Patreon exclusive Cup of Jones. I never (or rarely) watch their streams. If something catches my interest, I'll watch an archive.

As for Colin, I think he's surprising many people the past few weeks with his anger over the immigration executive order as well as the defunding the NEA (National Endowment for the Arts). He posted that NEA, EPA, NASA, NPS, NSF, NIH all cost practically nothing compared to the funds given to the military. According to him, those programs (combined) cost $68.35 Billion (half of it being part of NIH), whereas the military cost just under $600 Billion. He's said you could drastically cut the funding of the military and it would still be (far and away) the most funded standing military in the world, and fully fund those other programs, providing valuable resources to citizens. He's said in the past, he wants to see the government foster creativity and inspiration among youth, especially with things like NEA and NASA.

It's funny. Both Aisha Taylor (yes, that Aisha Taylor (she was one of the first ever guests at Kinda Funny)) and John Drake have said they can't believe how much they are in agreement with him as of late.

Curufinwe

I'm giddy with excitement for the start of the Yakuza 0 playthrough. Some of these substories are insane

With the way I watch GB videos, which is looking away from the screen a lot of the time, Yakuza 0 is going to suffer in comparison to something like Shenmue since it's not in English. But there's no way around that short of me learning Japanese.

imBask

Banned
if you guys keep talking about Colin, Brad will leave Giant Bomb

go complain about him in the PS I Love You XOXO thread, that's all they do all day

you did not post the whole thread title, which supports your argument.

That is the title of the thread in its entirety. I posted it. I didn't have enough room for Colin's name and I figured Greg was probably the better known of the two. If I could rename it, it'd be PS I Love You XOXO: Kinda Funny's PlayStation Podcast. At the time I posted the thread, Kinda Funny was still new, so I wanted to have something recognizable to fans of the old Podcast Beyond and I knew Greg was a well known commodity.

ok fine

hot take : i'll take Colin with GB before Austin Walker or Patrick Klepek, and I hate Colin's opinion

He doesn't do it anymore, but he had some great long-form written content at IGN (like his profile of Naughty Dog), but I don't think such a hire would go over well (at all) here.

Anyhoo, back to Giant Bomb. It may be just me, but I'd really like to see (maybe in a VRodeo- whenever we get another one) Jeff check out PSVR on PC. There is third-party thing that allows PSVR to work with SteamVR games. Apparently it works well enough.

BearPawB

Banned
I didn't realize that GBeast was getting a new hire, too.

Yeah, I think that was the first time they mentioned it.

It makes me wonder if CBSI says "we have the personality site in GB, get everyone out of gamespot, and maybe divert some of that budget to GB. Because gamespot will make the same amount of money without actually having anyone on staff"

I didn't realize that GBeast was getting a new hire, too.

Yup. I've been saying it's gotta be another video guy to free up Vinny. I hope they can poach Ben Hanson from Game Informer. When he guested on The Beastcast (I think he was in town with GI to do the Switch event), he fit in so perfectly. His history with Dan makes it all the better. Each coast would then have a video guy with Dan history.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom