• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #26 | goodbye white man blinking gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does this week's Bombcast get better in the back half? Because fuck me silly this inside baseball talk about running old games and video cables is terrible. Never actually skipped a segment of a Bombcast before, but it's just awful.

Really? Its way more interesting to me than hearing about dan's dumb food concerns or hear Brad talk about DOTA or Destiny. I do like old games just as much as new games though, seems my thoughts line up more with Jeff than most others around my age, but I'm not extreme and think Commodore 64 and Amiga are better than NES and SNES and stuff like that, but I LOVE old games and wish we had more of that on the site.

justjim89

Really? Its way more interesting to me than hearing about dan's dumb food concerns or hear Brad talk about DOTA or Destiny. I do like old games just as much as new games though, seems my thoughts line up more with Jeff than most others around my age, but I'm not extreme and think Commodore 64 and Amiga are better than NES and SNES and stuff like that, but I LOVE old games and wish we had more of that on the site.

I'm kind of on the opposite end of the spectrum from you, I think. I already think they play too many old games on the site. That discussion was torture, hearing them go on and on about all these different problems with running old games and systems and whatever. Like, the whole time I was thinking "Just buy them on Virtual Console or emulate them and be done with it."

jambo

Loving the film discussion. I watch a ton of films, here's my latest haul for the collection.

dwgpjLu.jpg

Here's mine

jnpbWHNl.jpg

BearPawB

Banned
I'm just not a collector. I don't hold a lot of sentimentality for things. I love hearing about it though. I'm glad someone cares

Also I had no idea anyone still actually bought movies.
I don't think I've bought a movie in like 10 years

Heh. Hd-dvds are rad

Here's mine

http://i.imgur.com/jnpbWHNl.jpg/img][/QUOTE]

Haha, I sent my HD DVD collection to GB. It was the same video as the one with box of knives.

Edit: here is the video: [url]http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/giant-bomb-mailbag-it-came-from-south-carolina/2300-9398/[/url] (my box is the super Canadian box starts around 13:30)

Strax

Does this week's Bombcast get better in the back half? Because fuck me silly this inside baseball talk about running old games and video cables is terrible. Never actually skipped a segment of a Bombcast before, but it's just awful.

Skip to the news, if you don't like old video game talk almost everything until then will be unbearable to you (and me)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Skip to the news, if you don't like old video game talk almost everything until then will be unbearable to you (and me)
The funny thing is that I'm sure Jeff has told his NFL Blitz story at least 10 times now and for some reason, someone on the podcast keeps saying they've never heard the story. lol

I'm kind of on the opposite end of the spectrum from you, I think. I already think they play too many old games on the site. That discussion was torture, hearing them go on and on about all these different problems with running old games and systems and whatever. Like, the whole time I was thinking "Just buy them on Virtual Console or emulate them and be done with it."

Yeah, seems like we are the opposite. I think emulation is the right way to play old games for most people, but the hardcore fanatics have crazy setups with all original hardware (I'm one of those nerds, always have been) I just think virtual console is so lean in thier choice of games and spread across so many different Nintendo platforms and having no account to keep my purchases... I've sunk SO much money into rebuying those games over and over and over and getting screwed everytime... Never again.

I like the original hardware, I like having digital copies. I'm the wierdo that does both, but I know it's not realistic for most, but its fun hearing from a hardcore collector every once in a while, its not like he comes on all the time or talks about God Eater every podcast.

Hindl

I blinked and missed whatever they were freaking out about. I did see Dan's cool dude slide though.

Dan jumped on a trampoline and flew way offscreen instantly. They all just looked at the scene for like 10 seconds and then out of nowhere Luigi comes back down from the top of the screen and falls in a pit

Volotaire

World 8-2 is going to be super interesting. I remember the first time I attempted it and not being able to execute the jump properly and looping.

Mupod

I'm only at the start of the podcast and I considered just jumping ahead to the old games stuff everyone's bitching about.

I dunno if I'm Peter Brown tier but I'm really picky about the Genesis in particular. I have a CRT and RGB setup but it's just the HD Retrovision cables, no SCART or PVM stuff. It looks great but the real reason I like the model 1 Genesis hardware is the sound it puts out of that headphone port. Emulation doesn't compare, there's just this sheer power behind it.

N64 is the other old console I don't like emulating but that's because N64 emulation sucks and always has. Nevermind controller issues, nothing has an analog stick like an N64 pad.

But yeah I'm not super crazy about collecting or anything. I just grabbed the few games I really like and plan to play again and again. I never get bored of Contra Hard Corps, and it's not an uncommon occurrence for me when I'm drunk as shit to turn on Streets of Rage 2 and just blast the music super loud.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
This game gets brutal. That being said, they are flubbing some of the easier earlier parts here. They are just misjudging the Mario 1 physics on this block jump.

I watched a friend beat this using a laptop keyboard during a particularly dull lecture about Chinese history, so these professional videogamesmen should be able to handle it.

Gjerven

The funny thing is that I'm sure Jeff has told his NFL Blitz story at least 10 times now and for some reason, someone on the podcast keeps saying they've never heard the story. lol

I'm pretty sure I haven't heard the story before! But I first started listening in May 2016. Not all new listeners will go back to old podcasts.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Watching them play Mario 2 has got me in the mood to watch Patrick play the Cat Mario game on UPF again.

Cat Mario is wonderful. I love showing people that who have never heard of it. The silly ways it plays on your assumptions are part of the reason games like I Want To Be the Guy are so good also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom