• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #26 | goodbye white man blinking gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
1y31GOw.png

Losing it

THIS TRAIN DOESN'T STOP

Jintor

quick question, can you guys think of a top-down sort of 2d zelda-style game but more in line with hyper light or furi? In terms of action gameplay?

Jintor

I tried a ys and that's not what struck me but maybe I messed up. I think I have a few on my account, so I'll give it a shot.

Any others?

Jintor

i have a game called Ys The Oath in Felghanna and I have played 78 minutes of it and have one achievement (for dying 10 times to a single boss)

is this what you're talking about

A lot of people dont like Ys 7 which sucks I guess because that's the only one I really liked

I like Ys7 and Celceta. I prefer the previous style but they're still fun games. Lean more towards the RPG side of the action-RPG balance. A little too long at, in my experience, nearly three times the length of Oath/7/Origin.

i have a game called Ys The Oath in Felghanna and I have played 78 minutes of it and have one achievement (for dying 10 times to a single boss)

is this what you're talking about

Oath is the best of the franchise, imo, so yeah. The games can be hard, I guess. Once you've played so many of them you're used to the ebb and flow of combat, it's hard to speak on the difficulty for newcomers.

Just to remind myself of old memes I googled "VR face" to see how deep Will Smith was and he was the first thing on google images. Good.

Also Jeff with the oculus imprint was the 3rd image.

If Whiskey Media had that kind of SEO maybe it would have stayed around longer.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Every time dan says merch he gets a point for the scholastic book club. Gotta get enough points for that Calvin and Hobbes collection.

I tried a ys and that's not what struck me but maybe I messed up. I think I have a few on my account, so I'll give it a shot.

Any others?

I got caught with family stuff so I couldn't reply in the thread earlier. The other stuff that sort of fits the bill in the Mana series. There's an early access game called Secret of Grindea that's Mana like on Steam.

Victor Vran and The Adventures of Van Helsing also sort of fit. They still adhere closer to the dibalo end of the spectrum for isometric/top down action RPGs, but they aren't all about the loot.

The two Lara Croft games while not melee game all are sort like that stuff.

There's probably other stuff, but I can't recall it at the moment.

Jintor

Hmm, what i mean specifically is more like... action games. Not where you're clicking on stuff really, or even top-down shooters/bullet hells (there are like ten trillion of those).

I was actually poking around ich.io a bit earlier... kind of fun.

jwwhwk5y.gif

Went and watched John Wick 2 again yesterday, contemplating for a third watch. Such a fun film, it's even better the second time around.

Not my type of game but this looks swell.

pvsx425541kjj.gif

Where's Cool Baby?

It's always cool baby where I'm at.

shakkkaoj5o.gif

I don't even think Drew really gained followers. Being a meme is a shitty deal.

Unless you care enough to expose and pimp yourself out on various sites, that ain't happening anytime soon.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Hmm, what i mean specifically is more like... action games. Not where you're clicking on stuff really, or even top-down shooters/bullet hells (there are like ten trillion of those).

I mean in Ys 1 you push up on stuff.

Does that count?

That sort of what I figured which is why I didnt recommend stuff like SPAZ. Victor Vran if I remember right has direct control when using a game pad like a Zelda does.

I also just remembered Reccetear, Wanderlust, Moon Hunter, and Cross Code fit the mold a bit too. Wanderlust and Moon Hunters are coop focused though.

I should probably some of these game they're all sitting in my library and I've never played any of them. I have a huge problem.

Your best bet for those kind of game is probably looking at older games you can emulate. I've always heard great things about Terranigma.

Rainmaker

Banned
Just seen the For Honor QL and that looks really, really cool. I worry about how active it'll stay though.

I bought it after watching the QL. I didn't have much interest in it beforehand. I'm enjoying it a lot. The combat is fun even though I suck at it. I have the same worry though. It seems like one of those games that'll fall off a little fast. Hopefully I'm wrong and it's unique combat will be enough to sustain a player base for awhile.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
If it's anything like chivalry's playerbase it'll go for awhile, but I dunno, the game seems a lot less... robust than chivalry.

Not enough screaming for one thing.

Stoze

If it's anything like chivalry's playerbase it'll go for awhile, but I dunno, the game seems a lot less... robust than chivalry.

Not enough screaming for one thing.

I don't think there's much of a parallel there, Chivalry is way different and I assume the player base of For Honor is massive in comparison. The best way I can describe For Honor is Dark Souls PvP with fighting game mechanics. I really liked what I've played of the alpha but for some reason I haven't had the urge to get the game.

I didn't think I'd ever see the Drew gif on my feed because I never post on twitter and only follow 40 people, but it popped up today.

JonCha

I bought it after watching the QL. I didn't have much interest in it beforehand. I'm enjoying it a lot. The combat is fun even though I suck at it. I have the same worry though. It seems like one of those games that'll fall off a little fast. Hopefully I'm wrong and it's unique combat will be enough to sustain a player base for awhile.

That's good to hear. I feel like once the Switch and Mass Effect are out then are people really going to be playing it?

Nero18

That's good to hear. I feel like once the Switch and Mass Effect are out then are people really going to be playing it?

I know some people that really got into it during the early betas talked about the game actually having some depth, which definitely could lead to some sort of Rainbow Six Siege situation were it gains traction after release. Going to keep an eye out myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom