• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #26 | goodbye white man blinking gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strax

Well, the PS3 did well in Europe in its early years when it should have been "tanking" vs the 360 like it was in the UK & US.
Brand loyalty seemed to blind a lot of mainland Europe, so I wouldn't hold up Europe as some source of more intelligent taste or anything.

BluRay drive and not having to pay for online were biggers factors then brand loyalty imo.

tumblr_inline_o58r6dmSfe1suaed2_500.gif
PS3 came out even later in Europe, was ridiculously expensive, had a first party lineup for its first few years and worse ports of third party games in general.
Felt like that shit was lapped up here, where Stateside momentum swung much more dramatically.
BluRay drive and not having to pay for online were biggers factors then brand loyalty imo.
Fair enough, it didn't seem to be the case among the people I encountered, but they were more game focused people.
(Online) MP focused players I knew were definetely on 360 or PC (this is all based on personal observation)

oti

Banned
PS3 came out even later in Europe, was ridiculously expensive, had a first party lineup for its first few years and worse ports of third party games in general.
Felt like that shit was lapped up here, where Stateside momentum swung much more dramatically.

Fair enough, it didn't seem to be the case among the people I encountered, but they were more game focused people.
(Online) MP focused players I knew were definetely on 360 or PC (this is all based on personal observation)

You know, that's your opinion and all. You don't see me telling you that Americans are stupid for buying an Xbox One while retailers here in Germany can't get rid of stock for the life of them.

I had a friend who bought a PS3 at launch and I was like what are you doing maaaaan 600€ holy Kuh!

Besides, I think it's a fair point to make that the crew has a very US-centered view on the market and while that in itself is totally fair it wouldn't hurt to try to also take the rest of the market into consideration once in a while.

Nerokis

They are pretty US focused, but well...of course they are. Dan on the Beastcast was also pretty convinced that the 360 dominated last generation until Alex pulled some numbers.

He would have been correct had he been talking about overall success. Sony ceded a ridiculous amount of ground to Microsoft, while losing a lot of money on the PS3 for a significant stretch of the generation. Their comeback was fantastic (speaks to their core strength), and came at the perfect time leading up to a new generation, but I suspect the 360 dominance narrative is rooted in more than just the sales race. One of the companies had a tough time for awhile, while the other was having the time of their lives.

Meneses

Europe (at least continental europe or southern countries, in my experience) was basically Sega and Sony land for the most part, pretty much the opposite of the US.

Totally anecdotal personal experience:

(In Portugal) I had 1 friend with a Super Nintendo (he didn't even like games), everyone else had a Megadrive.

I did previously own a fake NES, before I even knew what an NES was. We called them "Family Game" over here, mine came with 10 thousand games built in (maybe 30 or 40 different games total, the rest were just variations in number of lives, levels, etc). It had Mario, Contra, Ice Climbers and a couple more recognizable Nintendo games.

Mario was rather succesful (don't know if actual NES or the clones), because for a time older people called every console "a Nintendo".

Then the Playstation(s) came out and it basically owned the market. I knew exactly one person with an original Xbox. Probably 3 people with a 360, this one was a bit more successful, but it was still PS3 land for the most part.

I think I actually knew more people who owned Dreamcasts than Xbox.

Strax

Because it did in America. Which they have a fixiation on because they are American. Not because Jeff's "lukewarm personal opinion" of Sony games prevents him from recognizing it.

I'll never understand that kind of thinking. It's reminds me when people in the weekly Box Office threads talk about international box office will save some movie from bombing after bombing in the US. Like it matters one bit where the $$$ come from.

Tagyhag

Jeff has a really hard time separating his lukewarm personal opinions of most Sony games with the reality of their complete dominance of the console marketplace. His attempts to understand how MS ended up with half as many consoles sold are limited by a fixation with the American market when it is Europe where the Xbox brand collapsed this generation, and Sony gave consumers the games and performance they wanted at the right price.

I think he still understands why MS isn't winning. Hell, he was at the forefront with the other duders during the whole X1 fiasco.

It's true though that they don't pay as much attention to the other markets as the US but that's not surprising, they are US based after all.

Tubobutts

I'll never understand that kind of thinking. It's reminds me when people in the weekly Box Office threads talk about international box office will save some movie from bombing after bombing in the US. Like it matters one bit where the $$$ come from.
I think it's because they don't really care about console war nonsense so whatever is more popular in America has a bigger and more noticeable effect to them.

oti

Banned
I think he still understands why MS isn't winning. Hell, he was at the forefront with the other duders during the whole X1 fiasco.

It's true though that they don't pay as much attention to the other markets as the US but that's not surprising, they are US based after all.

But they should. Whenever they talk about the business they should take the rest of the world into consideration. If they want to talk business, they should do it correctly.

Tagyhag

But they should. Whenever they talk about the business they should take the rest of the world into consideration. If they want to talk business, they should do it correctly.

I think you're taking the site more seriously than they do themselves.

It isn't Forbes, it's Giant Bomb.

Jeff has a really hard time separating his lukewarm personal opinions of most Sony games with the reality of their complete dominance of the console marketplace. His attempts to understand how MS ended up with half as many consoles sold are limited by a fixation with the American market when it is Europe where the Xbox brand collapsed this generation, and Sony gave consumers the games and performance they wanted at the right price.

Jesus, you and your Sony

Xater

Europe (at least continental europe or southern countries, in my experience) was basically Sega and Sony land for the most part, pretty much the opposite of the US.

In Europe Mega Drive and SNES were close sales wise. The SNES won out overall though. In Germany for example the SNES did way better, so that varied by country. I'm pretty sure it was only the UK where Sega really dominated.

oti

Banned
I think you're taking the site more seriously than they do themselves.

It isn't Forbes, it's Giant Bomb.

If it was for me they would skip all business talk. They are pretty bad at it and that's not why I'm following them to begin with. I'd rather hear them talk fast-food chains.

StoveOven

Banned
- When they talk about business and sales they should try to be more aware of the global market.

- Jeff's lack of awareness about the global market has nothing to do with the fact that he doesn't like God of War

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Well, they read that Sony fanboy email during the Beastcast and I realised how little I care about Sony IPs. I would rate the Xbox catalogue a little higher personally, mostly because of Forza. But Uncharted 4 won GAF GotY so what do I know.

Nerokis

- When they talk about business and sales they should try to be more aware of the global market.

- Jeff's lack of awareness about the global market has nothing to do with the fact that he doesn't like God of War

Where did this conversation even come from, anyway? What did Jeff recently say that shows a lack of awareness about the European market?

360 doing bad in Europe and PS3 doing good in europe has more to do with Microsoft absolutely sucking in that area.

MS think EU success was as easy as getting the co marketing deal for FIFA.

And of course XBL was always teir 2 in a lot of europe with missing services abound on top of a higher membership fee for "reasons" back then.

But Europe market is weird. I wouldnt really be able to tell you what a console maker needs to do there to succeed outside of the obvious "Dont be dicks with pricing and features"

Meneses

Even the memes are US focused. Call me when Messi posts it!

Messi probably doesn't even know what the internet is.

Ronaldo, on the other hand... I'm sure by now one of Ronaldo's social media people is on it so he can #engage and grow his #brand by jumping on the latest internet sensation.

I can already see a series of videos with Drew, in the vein of his ad "challenges" with Dwyane Wade.

Meguro

Banned
He's right about that though.
None of the guns in Enter the Gungeon feel as good to shoot as even the basic pistol in Nuclear Throne.

(Yes, I realize I'm basically making the Destiny "it feels good to play" argument here.)

pizzacat

Banned
He's right about that though.
None of the guns in Enter the Gungeon feel as good to shoot as even the basic pistol in Nuclear Throne.

(Yes, I realize I'm basically making the Destiny "it feels good to play" argument here.)

sounds like you got shitty runs

also gungeon has active reload so its objectively king

Meneses

Didn't like Nuclear Throne but enjoyed Gungeon quite a bit.

I also loved Destiny's shooting, still better than any other recent game.

Giganteus

I'm not trying to bash you, but haven't you noticed how many times you've posted to attempt to correct a GB staffer about the Playstation and its games? I'm just saying maybe spread your wings a little bit.

popo

Next OT title needs to be "You sound like you have a beard!" None of this blinking meme shite.

No, I want to hear how Jeff catalogs his games for the eighth time.

What is the best way to break in to the gaming industry?

Do review embargoes generally stipulate that you can't mention the game's existence in your life until the embargo is up? I've always been confused when people (mainly Jeff) talk around the embargoed games they're playing, instead of just their impressions. He'll always say like "been playing a lot of games I can't talk about yet" instead of just saying something like "Been playing Horizon, but I can't talk about that yet", which is way less annoying (I have no idea of he was referring to Horizon, that was just an example).

Some forbid you from saying that you have the game. I think the publishers justify it because they send preferred outlets e.g. press, copies earlier than internet sites. At least they used to before youtubers got everything first. they don't want someone from Polygon sending angry emails because they heard the guy at IGN already got his copy.

Nerokis

It started as a response to one of his answers on the recent jar time.

The answer that started around minute 38?

Because I'm not seeing where his awareness (or lack thereof) of the European market really came into play there. Unless the original point was, "Oh, Jeff, so American to even feel the need to explain how the X1 lost the generation. Only in America did the PS4's incredible value not totally outweigh everything else. Otherwise, it really is as simple as 'the PS4 is awesome.'"

Nero18

Actually think they are pretty competent when it comes to talking business compared to other gaming sites/people, and most importantly imo very clear with where their limitations of understanding are. This just reminded of the early Xbox 360 days when every Microsoft E3 press conference was just a big middle finger to the rest of the world. They would go on for like 40 minutes about Netflix, Hulu, NFL apps and shit that hadn't even come to Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom