• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #26 | goodbye white man blinking gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhanna49

Neo Member
As someone who had 3 Xbox 360s crap out before I gave up, I believe 360 sales numbers are at least somewhat inflated by people who had multiple replacements and/or bought new version that came out like 360 elite. I don't know anyone who had a 360 who didn't have disc drive or RROD issues at least once.

Tubobutts

As someone who had 3 Xbox 360s crap out before I gave up, I believe 360 sales numbers are at least somewhat inflated by people who had multiple replacements and/or bought new version that came out like 360 elite. I don't know anyone who had a 360 who didn't have disc drive or RROD issues at least once.
I never did but like halfway through the generation I switched to PC almost exclusively.

Meguro

Banned
Funnily enough, it wasn't my 360 itself that crapped the bed 3 days after launch, it was the huge ass power brick.
I still had to get a replacement sent but still.

Snagret

My family bought multiple 360s throughout that era because of RROD

def sim

I went through five myself, though the extended three year warranty took care of all of them. Your idea was a fairly common talking point at the time and, IIRC, it was always brushed aside because the idea that millions of people would choose to drop another $300-$400 instead of replacing it without cost is unrealistic. For some time, the 360 was outselling the PS3 2 to 1 in the US.

I only had to replace my OG PS3 once and then bought a slim.

Nerokis

I somehow never experienced RROD.

The HDMI port did eventually crap out on me, though. This was around 2012, and I haven't played a Microsoft console since.

hwy_61

Banned
Back when I was a scumbag and refused to pay for shit, my friend helped me mod my 360. Shortly after, it red ringed, then I sent it to MS, totally expecting to get a big fat rejection, but they actually sent me a fully working 360. I felt so guilty, that I swore never to pirate games or anything again.

TraBuch

Banned
One thing I'll say about the whole Jeff hates PlayStation exclusives things, he does seem to always just ignore the fact that Sony platforms get a lot of third party games Microsoft doesn't, specifically the Japanese ones. I know he doesn't give a shit about stuff like Trails of Cold Steel or Tales or Ys or Hyperdimension whatever, but he does like things like Persona and Yakuza 0 and Nioh and Let It Die and maybe the new Nier. Even when PlayStation exclusives were brought up on a recent Bombcast, Jason had to bring up Japanese exclusives and Jeff was like "Oh, yeah, those" and just laughed them off.

bomma_man

Well, they read that Sony fanboy email during the Beastcast and I realised how little I care about Sony IPs. I would rate the Xbox catalogue a little higher personally, mostly because of Forza. But Uncharted 4 won GAF GotY so what do I know.

Microsoft has more successful franchises but Sony has a better history of funding interesting weird original stuff.

Catvoca

Banned
I Wonder if there are any curufinwe post in this thread that isn't a defense of Sony.

2537625-vinnygoofin.gif

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Throne and Gungeon are such different things despite their superficial similarities that its hard for me to say if one is "better" than the other. Throne really is a rapid fire set of what is basically arena battles with a much more frantic pace, while Gungeon is more of a...well....dungeon crawler roguelike.

oti

Banned
I like Gungeon but I don't love it. What I miss is a persistent element like in Rogue Galaxy and WHERE THE HELL IS ROGUE LEGACY 2 AT.

Number 7th on my top 10 games of 2016, enjoyed it a bunch. It's definitely a game that would only get better the more time you put into it.

BaggyHatefulArgusfish.gif

4 here.

But the service was nice. The UPS guy came and picked it up. No fuss.

hwy_61

Banned
In what way?

The whole process was pretty painless. They send you a box, you send the 360 to them, they send you a different 360.

I wouldn't call it the best out of any device, though. If my iPhone fucks up, all I gotta do is go to any Apple Store and get a new one right on the spot.

I always felt like an oddity because I never had a RROD but went though 3 Xbox 360s because the DVD drive crapped out on all of them. By the third time I had gotten fed up and switched to a PS3 slim.

oti

Banned
I thought it was cute how disappointed Brad was when Jeff told him MS was full of itself when they entered the market. I though this was common knowledge.

Catvoca

Banned
I always felt like an oddity because I never had a RROD but went though 3 Xbox 360s because the DVD drive crapped out on all of them. By the third time I had gotten fed up and switched to a PS3 slim.

The only 360 that broke for me was because of the disc drive too. I had it for like 6 years or something though, so I wasn't too mad.

danm999

Actually think they are pretty competent when it comes to talking business compared to other gaming sites/people, and most importantly imo very clear with where their limitations of understanding are. This just reminded of the early Xbox 360 days when every Microsoft E3 press conference was just a big middle finger to the rest of the world. They would go on for like 40 minutes about Netflix, Hulu, NFL apps and shit that hadn't even come to Europe.

God that was such a shitshow. All that traction the 360 had built in the U.K., Australia, New Zealand etc wiped out in a moment.

valeo

You know when people say that parents call all consoles "Nintendo"?
My experience in Europe is that they do this with Playstation. Everything was a Playstation.

This is the same in Australia/NZ too. Nintendo barely made an impact on my childhood. It was all Sega and Playstation.

BearPawB

Banned
I'm so excited for this Horizon review thread. The chaos either way is going to be great.

I always want games to be good.
But I love a good gaf meltdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom