• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #26 | goodbye white man blinking gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm so excited for this Horizon review thread. The chaos either way is going to be great.

I always want games to be good.
But I love a good gaf meltdown

Haven't been following it closely, but on top of the usual meltdowns for negative, apparently there have been pre-meltdowns over positive reviews...because it's exclusive or female lead character?

Catvoca

Banned
I think it's going to end up reviewing well and we're not going to get that many of the sweet meltdowns we all want. The BOTW review thread is the one that'll have the real crazies.

I think it's going to end up reviewing well and we're not going to get that many of the sweet meltdowns we all want. The BOTW review thread is the one that'll have the real crazies.

BOTW could get a 95 metacritic and that thread will still be full of crazies attacking reviewers for anything negative they write.

Horizon looks like an open-world Ubisoft game, which usually review well, so add on some of the exclusive bias you usually get and I can't see it getting bad reviews.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I had bought the big expensive Forza horizon 3 bundle when it came out and only just now got around to playing it. I knew the series was great from how much I played FH1 and I knew the dlc was good but I kind of regret it now because I have like 100 dlc cars in my garage that kick the shit out of nearly everything and kind of ruin the progression system right off the bat

Let's get some betting odds in here:

Horizon review thread meltdown ()
Switch OT/impressions thread meltdown ()
Breath of the Wild review thread meltdown ()
ME: Andromeda review thread meltdown ()

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Let's get some betting odds in here:

Horizon review thread meltdown ()
Switch OT/impressions thread meltdown ()
Breath of the Wild review thread meltdown ()
ME: Andromeda review thread meltdown ()

Horizon: 87
Switch: Could be cool at some point? Maybe? Meh
Breath of the Wild: 82
ME: Andromeda: 85

Meltdown: Everywhere

Catvoca

Banned
Prediction: GB point out performance problems with Zelda or a hardware problem with the Switch and it gets blown out of proportion and Nintendo fans call them liars and get mad.

After ME3 and Dragon Age Inquisition got great reviews I am not sure why anyone would be waiting for them.

Wait a few weeks and see what way the wind blows.

Likewise with Zelda. Its Zelda. Its going to be years before Nintendo fans admit that game has any issues and anyone giving it lower then a 9 will need to go into police protection.

I don't know what I'm more interested in; the BotW review reactions or the usual six months after when some people dissect every little detail for "not being as great as reviewers would make you think."

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I'm kinda actually looking forward to BotW. First zelda game so I don't know what to expect as far as how I take to it.

I can't wait for Jeff to give Zelda 4.4 stars.

My shameful opinion about Breath of the Wild is I think the game looks kinda ugly in a lot of the footage I've seen

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Hmm, I heard that it's more akin to wind waker? Kinda open world with dungeons you travel to, except the open world part is more expanded?

I can't wait for Jeff to give Zelda 4.4 stars.

My shameful opinion about Breath of the Wild is I think the game looks kinda ugly in a lot of the footage I've seen

I think it's charming looking and great in stone areas. However, the texture work is reallly flat.

As a whole package it looks good to me, but I don't think it's crazy you might think that. I hear that it looks awesome in handheld mode though.

Horizon looks like an open-world Ubisoft game, which usually review well, so add on some of the exclusive bias you usually get and I can't see it getting bad reviews.

Remember when Giant Bomb said "please stop" Ubisoft-style open world games and then gave Game of the Year to a Ubisoft-style open world game?

Salarians

icIuz5H.png

Fantastapotamus

I'm genuinely curious how annoyed Drew is by all this. This feels like a thing that goes from "Haha, that's weird but kinda funny" to "YES THAT'S ME, STOP ASKING" veeeeeery fast.

"Ubisoft-style" is quickly becoming completely devoid of any meaning. Every single open world game is given that label now.

ubisoft style to me means climbing hard to reach shit to 'activate' them. Like towers.

Like, if one of the collectibles is going to fucking towers or some other repeating landmark, that's ubi style.

TraBuch

Banned
I don't think there's anything wrong with calling open-world games that have towers that open up sidequests an Ubisoft-style open-world game.

danm999

You climb towers and hunt and pick herbs and stuff. I can see the comparison.

Thing is it's not bloated with content like other Ubisoft open world games of the era.

m0Airjy.png

Shit looks like something Alexander Fleming would find back from holiday.

One of the nice things about Shadow of Mordor was that it was actually reasonable to do everything in that game. I got the Platinum trophy at just the same time that I started feeling done with it.

In movement, gameplay, storytelling, quest design, art design.

Might as well call Metroid a Super Mario Bros.-style game if you are gonna have 2-3 things be called X, Y or Z-style

those aren't aspects of the game that define what they're talking about

the crew is an ubisoft-style open world game like watch dogs is an ubisoft-style open world game like assassin's creed etc

danm999

One of the nice things about Shadow of Mordor was that it was actually reasonable to do everything in that game. I got the Platinum trophy at just the same time that I started feeling done with it.

Totally. It didn't overstay it's welcome for me. Steam says I played 35 hours of it.

Strax

those aren't aspects of the game that define what they're talking about

the crew is an ubisoft-style open world game like watch dogs is an ubisoft-style open world game like assassin's creed etc

The things they are talking about as defining that style play such a small part in Shadow of Morder. Climbing a tower takes maybe 5 secs and the towers are at most 15. If you are going to take such a small amount of every game and claim and such and such then every game is Pong-style.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
In movement, gameplay, storytelling, quest design, art design.

Might as well call Metroid a Super Mario Bros.-style game if games only need to have 2-3 things be called X, Y or Z-style

Scale things to kill lots of named enemies that ultimately matter nothing to the story other than being a henchman of a henchman with a name that means nothing to your character other than them being the friend of a major enemy that leads to an incredibly disappointing final battle capping off a cliche revenge story padded with a bunch of setting 'flavor text' of landmarks that were already made because it's easier than creating your own. Also your character is the chosen one and talks to dead people.

Joeku

What about Watch Dogs 2?

Watch Dogs 2 is them attempting to get away from the formula, but a lot of it is still there. Given Ubi's statements on the driving force of their games from here on, I wouldn't be surprised if AC: Egypt this year is actually kind of a decent step towards sandbox from checklist.

Fantastapotamus

Cant wait until Beast in the East gets to Miracle Johnson.

In 6 to 8 months

At least we have guaranteed weekly #content till the end of time, if they really plan to play the other Yakuza games as well. Maybe when they are done I get to play the Remake of the Remake of Yakuza 0 on PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom