• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #26 | goodbye white man blinking gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giganteus

More like Jeff "Ubisoft-like" Gerstmann.

I don't know why, but i was expecting the game to be mediocre.
I briefly had that feeling a few weeks back, when some on Neogaf were saying it was likely going to be, but the arguements were flimsy and reductive, IMO.

I might have to try out Horizon. It seems like something I'd enjoy.

Oh horizon reviews happened, let me see what peo...

*Stepped into review thread, already seeing people attack publications that didn't give it a perfect score*

Now I remember why I don't go into review threads. I'll just go to the actual websites and read reviews. Will start with Jeff's review.

Giganteus

*Stepped into review thread, already seeing people attack publications that didn't give it a perfect score*

Now I remember why I don't go into review threads. I'll just go to the actual websites and read reviews. Will start with Jeff's review.
It only took reading half a page of that thread before I had to stop. Gamers.

repeater

In the comments section of USGamer's (2.5/5) review, someone actually wrote "you should not review this game if you don't enjoy this.. SMH".

whitemanblinking.gif

Lunar FC

Review threads are hilarious to me for big titles. Love the reactions of those nerds.

Joeku

Review threads are a goddamn plague. It's a thousand voices clawing at each other over opinions they haven't verified themselves, forming teams over fucking numbers.

Maybe if I took joy at poorly-targeted keyboard rage I'd be into reading this shit but instead it just bothers me.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
To be fair, weren't quite a number of people here awaiting the schadenfreude if the game reviewed low? :p

There's an audience for it.

Joeku

To be fair, weren't quite a number of people here awaiting the schadenfreude if the game reviewed low? :p

There's an audience for it.

You're gonna get schadenfreude either way. People who feel the need to champion a dev or publisher just end up a little more vigilant if something reviews poorly.

To steal something from another Jeff in video games: "I love loving things." I just cannot abide determining an opinion before actually engaging with said thing. Treating these review scores as absolutes and then playing a game to reinforce that, instead of reflecting on what you actually experienced really feels like pubescent console warz bullshit. That even on a place like GAF in the year 2017 it still happens so much is just sad. I'm gonna play the game in about a week and maybe I'll love it, maybe I won't. I'll talk about its successes and failures afterward either way.

That all said, I do look forward to some absolute fucking madness when the BotW review topic comes around. You thought that the Uncharted 3 review backlash was bad? We Zelda now

neshcom

Banned
Glad to hear Horizon is good. My perspective on Guerilla has been that they make really pretty middle-of-the-road games, so I'm glad the game is able to get out of that rut. Lord knows we don't need more Killzones.

derFeef

Good point Joeku, that's why "metacritic predictions" are so funny to me.
Like people are so sure the game is going to be that good or that bad, it MUST get that metacritic score and "deviations are just biased"!
I am also always baffled that GAF of all communties just loves the metacritic argument, despite always wanting the system to go away. It IS fanboy fuel.

edit: Happy Vinny calls out PDP on the beastcast.

hamchan

Glad to hear Horizon is good. My perspective on Guerilla has been that they make really pretty middle-of-the-road games, so I'm glad the game is able to get out of that rut. Lord knows we don't need more Killzones.

Seems like they should have gotten off that Killzone train way earlier instead of working 13 years on the series.

Hmm interesting review from Jeff and i will definitely check it out one day.

Cool to see Guerilla has finally gotten that monkey off their back and hopefully it will stay off.

Why are you guys surprised?

He loves far cry games.

Tbf he had been tired of the forumla for a bit though though re Farcry Primal.

Also he apparently really likes the story and world, which is interesting since he usually seems to place gameplay above any story.

Now to wait for the "Honeymoon phase will soon end" phase for GAF lol

JonCha

Haven't read the review yet but a five-star from Jeff is something to take notice of. He doesn't given them out very often, does he?

Meguro

Banned
Looks like Austin isn't very high on it.
Though his criticism is actually the same thing I'd criticise the Farcry games for personally.
As soon as I got the silent sniperrifle, every FC game is solved for me and I stop using anything else.
Looks like it really IS a Farcry game!

Catvoca

Banned
Looks like Austin isn't very high on it.
Though his criticism is actually the same thing I'd criticise the Farcry games for personally.
As soon as I got the silent sniperrifle, every FC game is solved for me and I stop using anything else.
Looks like it really IS a Farcry game!

Yeah, I saw that. Interesting perspective to say the least. Jeff's review kind of hints at that stuff (saying the same stealth strategy worked for 90% of the game and that he didn't feel like using some of the equipment) but it obviously didn't bother him too much.

Hearing the story and world of Horizon are great shouldn't be that surprising with New Vegas writers onboard. Looking forward to playing it when it's bundled with a Pro later this year.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
When was the last time Jeff really liked the story and/or storytelling in a game? That's actually pretty rare.

And interesting to see that Danny had the game early. He still has the gaming journo access.

def sim

I'd be more curious about Horizon if I didn't already have Yak 0 on my plate. I've been playing it intermittently since I don't want to get too far ahead of BitE.

I'm glad Guerrilla's chance to get out of their Killzone rut looks to be a success, though.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I still don't understand why they don't make videos like Danny did for Horizon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGJWt8yCiqE
They would have to be popular. I'll now have to wait for the Bombcast for a discussion of Horizon.

superhot?
Yeah, ok. Let me phrase it like this: When was the last time he really enjoyed a AAA storyline?

I'm glad Guerrilla's chance to get out of their Killzone rut looks to be a success, though.
This! One of the worst things in the gaming industry is talented studios being tied to a franchise. Especially if that IP is some safe-bet low risk thing like Killzone.

It's why Microsoft's handling of that new Gears studio is so disappointing.

danm999

Between HZD, Yakuza 0 and Persona 5 it feels like the PS4 library is reaching critical mass for me to the point I need to get one.

Xater

This! One of the worst things in the gaming industry is talented studios being tied to a franchise. Especially if that IP is some safe-bet low risk thing like Killzone.

It's why Microsoft's handling of that new Gears studio is so disappointing.

Microsoft handles everything that way, which is a bummer.

This year started out amazing games wise. I have played Resident Evil 7, Yakuza 0 and Nioh. Horizon us next and after that Persona 5. Not sure yet about Mass Effect.

Meneses

Interesting that Jeff gave it 5 stars.

Still probably gonna rent it first, I haven't really been in synch with Jeff's tastes lately.

But it being so well received definitely puts the game back on my radar.

Disregarding the score, Jeff seems very excited about Horizon and its made me very excited.

"Near perfect story" is quite the high praise, especially from Jeff.

popo

When was the last time we got one, 2 years ago?

We got three VR launch stream that were all better than 90% of BLLSL content.

Beast in the East needs to either get way longer or switch to a twice-weekly thing. Otherwise this will take foreeeeever unless they just mainline it and not dick around at all, and I'd much rather them dick around in Yakuza games.

People keep stressing about how long it will take them to finish it, when it has only just stared. They are not playing it for review, there is no arbatory deadline they have to hit.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
It's kinda insane that I could buy a PS4 including 5 games for less than a Switch and one game and I'm still leaning more towards the Switch because of a Zelda game I'm super skeptical about and a Mario game that comes out in 6-12 months.

I'm glad I cancelled my pre-order for now, I really need to think this over. There is really no logical explanation why I feel the way I do.

popo

Jeff hating on first party Sony exclusives again I see. That guy with the hockey avatar must be pissed, I bet he had a snarky post all ready to go and everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom