• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #26 | goodbye white man blinking gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Switch is a wonderful-looking and versatile portable that I can throw into the bag I'm always carrying around, and that I can use to play Nintendo games and indie games on the train. The fact that I can use it on the TV is neither here nor there- I will doubtless do that occasionally, but I use my 3DS more than any console at home anyway.
I love using handhelds at home too! I have fond memories of laying on my couch playing Zelda. I'll probably use my Switch this way often.
I would use my 3DS more IF THE STANDBY TIMES WEREN'T SO GARBAGE.

And the fact that they did some garbage where the thing can barely draw a charge if you hook it up to a battery pack.

God, at some point I just got sick of it hardware wise, which is why I'm looking forward to the switch. I even see the switch more as a vita successor than a 3DS successor. A no compromise, high end handheld.
I did end up here as well. Having to power off my 3DS when I'm done with it was juuust enough of a barrier that made me less and less likely to turn it back on the next time.

TraBuch

Banned
The Switch is a wonderful-looking and versatile portable that I can throw into the bag I'm always carrying around, and that I can use to play Nintendo games and indie games on the train. The fact that I can use it on the TV is neither here nor there- I will doubtless do that occasionally, but I use my 3DS more than any console at home anyway.
Doesn't it have like a three hour battery life?

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I would probably be more excited about the Switch if I had a TV (or room for one) and could play the games in handheld mode while passively watching some random garbage. I actually like doing that.

Curufinwe

Jeff hating on first party Sony exclusives again I see. That guy with the hockey avatar must be pissed, I bet he had a snarky post all ready to go and everything.

Wow, you are one sensitive little guy. Jeff not being a fan of most of Sony's exclusives doesn't bother me at all. It's when he makes demonstrably false statements about their lack of popularity and market success that I correct him. Same as I would correct someone in a FFXV or RE7 thread when GAF posters pretend they haven't sold well because they don't like the direction those franchises went in.

derFeef

I would probably be more excited about the Switch if I had a TV (or room for one) and could play the games in handheld mode while passively watching some random garbage. I actually like doing that.

You can watch Giantbomb videos on your PC/Laptop and play Switch.
I like doing that with my 3DS and Vita, lol.

I wish I could do this. I would play so many more handheld or mobile games, but for some reason I have a hard time keeping my focus on a game if something else is going on. It isn't really an attention thing or a focus thing, it's like as soon as the game even has a tiny bit of boring aspect, I feel that boring aspect so much more if something else is going on and it makes me end up quitting.

I have to have my pure focus on a game otherwise I will never end up getting through it.

Fantastapotamus

You could just stream stuff and do that.

I know, but sitting 2 feet away from my monitor on a chair isn't the same as sitting on a comfy couch. If I already sit at my desk, I'd rather play on my PC. (I currently live in a dorm, so I just don't have the room for a couch or a TV). It's not a big deal, I just miss those days.

Curufinwe

Woke up to high praise for a Guerrilla game. I'm actually shocked at how well it's been reviewed.

I never played any of them, but KZ2 got great reviews, and KZ3 wasn't that far behind. And the preview coverage for Horizon has been almost uniformly positive.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Is it? I don't remember it being that short. Guess it's been a while since I've actually owned a Vita though.

It's pretty short. Which is why I'm surprised when jeff and gang decried the battery life. Like, have they used any of the two handhelds recently?

I only realistically need it to get through my commute, and it being USB-C means that it shares a connector with my phone so power bank charging is easy for me. At least it doesn't use that dumb as shit connector the 3ds uses.

I think it's interesting that Jeff said the story is so good, when EZA (who typically overhypes story IMHO) said the story is just okay.

Kind of points out how subjective a story telling experience is. I usually line up with Jeff's opinions, so I'm pretty excited.

I wish I could do this. I would play so many more handheld or mobile games, but for some reason I have a hard time keeping my focus on a game if something else is going on. It isn't really an attention thing or a focus thing, it's like as soon as the game even has a tiny bit of boring aspect, I feel that boring aspect so much more if something else is going on and it makes me end up quitting.

I have to have my pure focus on a game otherwise I will never end up getting through it.

That is an attention thing and relatively normal.

I know, but sitting 2 feet away from my monitor on a chair isn't the same as sitting on a comfy couch. If I already sit at my desk, I'd rather play on my PC. (I currently live in a dorm, so I just don't have the room for a couch or a TV). It's not a big deal, I just miss those days.

That's fair. Laying out on a couch is the best.

Curufinwe

I think it's interesting that Jeff said the story is so good, when EZA (who typically overhypes story IMHO) said the story is just okay.

Kind of points out how subjective a story telling experience is. I usually line up with Jeff's opinions, so I'm pretty excited.

Did Jeff like the story in Shadow of Mordor? Brad reviewed it, and all I can remember from their GotY discussions is Dan saying how it was the first LotR story he's ever liked.

Main thing about the Switch vs 3DS is Nintendo finally making a comfortable handheld again, unless we include the Wii U gamepad. Without buying grip accessories I probably wouldn't have played much 3DS.

Giant Bomb crews video game taste pretty often lines up with my own. I've played most of the 5* games they have reviewed and generally wouldn't argue against them.

Maybe RE5. That did very little for me.

Fantastapotamus

For me it's the other way around. I can't just sit down and just watch anything anymore, I need to do something. It's kinda annoying actually. Even while watching GB content I usually have to do something else, either playing something on my second screen or just clicking on random threads.

I'd love any Monday stream that isn't just Jeff playing Fester's Quest or whatever.

How about Jeff playing some sick Atari 2600 games?

daveo42

Banned
I am in the mood for a new Dead Rising video today. Brad, please :(

Brad is still asleep, dreaming of one day becoming as famous a meme as Drew.

It's a holiday so I doubt there will be any streams today.

At least we have Beast in the East.

I'm just tiring of The Old Games. Jeff even managed to turn Jar Time into a The Old Games Q&A feature.

We need to send better questions to Jeff as opposed to the same 3-4 that he appears to get all of the time.

Curufinwe

Giant Bomb crews video game taste pretty often lines up with my own. I've played most of the 5* games they have reviewed and generally wouldn't argue against them.

Maybe RE5. That did very little for me.

I'm with Vinny on Flower. And Infamous was pretty meh.

Looking thru their 5 star games, they are mostly pretty old now. Not many new additions.

For me it's the other way around. I can't just sit down and just watch anything anymore, I need to do something. It's kinda annoying actually. Even while watching GB content I usually have to do something else, either playing something on my second screen or just clicking on random threads.

How about Jeff playing some sick Atari 2600 games?

I'm that way with watching stuff for sure, but for some reason when it comes to game basically anything going on makes me bored of the game. I put something on and get interested, get bored of the game and open up my phone and just sit on my phone as I watch whatever it is.

40 hours into Witcher 3 and haven't been able to get back into it because every time I do I want to have something streaming to just do side missions and end up getting bored.

Scizzy

This exact syndrome is killing me with Beast in the East. Having to pay full attention to the subtitles has completely stalled my progress at the halfway point of episode 1.

Curufinwe

I just accept that I'm missing most of the story and am listening for the Alex/Dan/Vinny reactions & interactions. I can only catch up on my GB video backlog if I "watch" them while playing games.

Dineren

Banned
Anyone interested in a free Pillars of Eternity code for GOG or Steam? I just noticed I had an extra one on the backer portal. I'm pretty sure it won't include the expansions, but it does include the space piglet pet.

prJBy1j.jpg

Anyone interested in a free Pillars of Eternity code for GOG or Steam? I just noticed I had an extra one on the backer portal. I'm pretty sure it won't include the expansions, but it does include the space piglet pet.

prJBy1j.jpg

I planned on picking that up after I beat Divinity Original Sin, but yet another game I got 30-40 hours into and haven't gotten back to.

Just to clarify, I don't want the code. Rather someone who would play it take it.

Cronen

prJBy1j.jpg

Been interested in trying the game out if you're able to part with the Steam code?

Dineren

Banned
It's one of my favorite games of all time. I love the setting, combat, story, lore...

In for a treat if you like that sort of game!

I know some people weren't a fan of the direction they took the story, but I thought it was great. I'm really looking forward to the sequel.

Thank you! I'm at work right now, but should be able to redeem it in about an hour. Will let you know if there's any issues! :)

One thing to keep in mind is that the expansions are mid-game content, so if you find yourself enjoying the game I'd strongly recommend picking up the expansions (which are both great) during Act 2.

Mr. F

Banned
So horizon is the real deal? Kind of surprised after the previews. Not sure if I'm in the mood for yet another open world right now but may grab it later on sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom