• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #26 | goodbye white man blinking gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meneses

BitE is so good.

The best part about the game is that stuff like those sequences that made them laugh out loud happen like, 20 more times and i'm not even half way through the game
can't stop Real Estatin'

Also, BitE is actually one of the few things I will actually watch without doing anything else.

Can't wait for them to see the start of Chapter 3.

HAv0F35l.jpg

WORD

This is the best Beast In The East episode so far and they just moved one step forward when it comes to the story. It reminded me how very early on I made my friend buy Yakuza 0 in about 10 minutes, by capturing and sending this to him.

Cronen

It's one of my favorite games of all time. I love the setting, combat, story, lore...

In for a treat if you like that sort of game!

I know some people weren't a fan of the direction they took the story, but I thought it was great. I'm really looking forward to the sequel.

One thing to keep in mind is that the expansions are mid-game content, so if you find yourself enjoying the game I'd strongly recommend picking up the expansions (which are both great) during Act 2.

Thanks both! The key redeemed and it's downloading now! It's been on my radar for a while now, so I am looking forward to diving in. Story and lore are important factors to me, so glad to see that they are being praised. Also, thanks for the heads up with the DLC!

Strax

Did Jeff like the story in Shadow of Mordor? Brad reviewed it, and all I can remember from their GotY discussions is Dan saying how it was the first LotR story he's ever liked.

They all agreed about the story being the worst part of Shadow of Mordor if I remember it right.

Wow, you are one sensitive little guy. Jeff not being a fan of most of Sony's exclusives doesn't bother me at all. It's when he makes demonstrably false statements about their lack of popularity and market success that I correct him. Same as I would correct someone in a FFXV or RE7 thread when GAF posters pretend they haven't sold well because they don't like the direction those franchises went in.

I have tons of respect for Jeff and his usual adherence to intellectual honesty, but it also drives me insane when he plays down the popularity/success of a game that didn't grab him specifically. I'm glad I'm not the only one who notices this, though I can't say for sure I ever noticed a tendency toward Sony stuff.

Mr. F

Banned
I have tons of respect for Jeff and his usual adherence to intellectual honesty, but it also drives me insane when he plays down the popularity/success of a game that didn't grab him specifically. I'm glad I'm not the only one who notices this, though I can't say for sure I ever noticed a tendency toward Sony stuff.

The only time this really bothers me is when there's a specific game that has to be discussed over and over again within a short period of time (GOTY specifically). Sometimes I found myself skipping through Jeff's arguments against things because past a certain point it was just repeating "its cool that you like it but it just didn't appeal to me at all" or whatever over and over.

Granted that might be more of an issue with the process of GOTY itself and the way they record it, but still.

Gurrry

Wow holy shit at that Horizon review.

I honestly didnt think this game was going to be good. I loved the look of it and all, and thought it had great potential from what ive seen, but I just felt like it was destined to fall short of what I wanted it to be.

Seeing
5 stars from jeff
really makes me want to pick this up and check it out now.

killroy87

I've only ever seen him really do this with Driveclub. he still talks about that game like it was a unanimous disaster, and none of the post-launch support existed (it's totally fine if he never touched the game post-launch, but he's also barely acknowledged the sheer idea that they improved it). Most other games, such as The Order, he's not too far off on with his criticisms. I liked The Order just fine for what it was, but it was pretty weak.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I think games with long update histories in general get a bad deal. The gaming press just isn't built for it, they need to move on.

Lunar FC

I've only ever seen him really do this with Driveclub. he still talks about that game like it was a unanimous disaster, and none of the post-launch support existed (it's totally fine if he never touched the game post-launch, but he's also barely acknowledged the sheer idea that they improved it). Most other games, such as The Order, he's not too far off on with his criticisms. I liked The Order just fine for what it was, but it was pretty weak.

Driveclub fucked his girl.

Zaph

I've only ever seen him really do this with Driveclub. he still talks about that game like it was a unanimous disaster, and none of the post-launch support existed (it's totally fine if he never touched the game post-launch, but he's also never truly acknowledged the sheer idea that they improved it). Most other games, such as The Order, he's not too far off on with his criticisms. I liked The Order just fine for what it was, but it was pretty weak.

Driveclub launched poor, had that whole mess with the PS+ version, and Sony shut down the developer. Just because a game can end up good, that doesn't stop it from it being a disaster. No Man's Sky could end up great, but it's still a disaster.

killroy87

I think games with long update histories in general get a bad deal. The gaming press just isn't built for it, they need to move on.

Yeah, but GB in particular really doesn't care about that sort of thing. I find sites like Kotaku are pretty good about covering games with decent post-launch support if it's newsworthy (which something like DC certainly was). GB in particular, with it's low emphasis on news, is particularly susceptible to not ever looking in the review mirror at past games.

Driveclub launched poor, had that whole mess with the PS+ version, and Sony shut down the developer. Just because a game can end up good, that doesn't stop it from it being a disaster. No Man's Sky could end up great, but it's still a disaster.

I'm just saying that, in an alternate reality where No Man's Sky at some point becomes a truly great game that's worth playing, Giant Bomb generally will never speak of it with anything but that first impression. At best, Brad might say "I've heard they've patched that game so it's pretty decent now", and then Jeff just dismisses the comment and moves on.

I'm not saying they need to change their minds and re-review or anything, but they aren't exactly known for their coverage of instances like Driveclub. Which is fine, that's their choice.

Gurrry

I still think I need to see a quick look before I make the purchase of Horizon. I trust Jeff's judgement, but even after reading the review, im left still with the same feeling I had prior to seeing the review. I had a tough time enjoying myself in Farcry and I worry this is more like that and less like Monster Hunter.

I was hoping for it to lean more in the MH direction and less in the FC direction. But theres still something about the game that intrigues me.

pizzacat

Banned
Speaking of hot messes, I enjoyed reading about the ongoing Street Fighter V debacle over the weekend. Artificially lengthened load times seems cool!
From what I understand when the screen goes white is when it's loading so technically load times have always been fast, the game is just stuck on other stuff

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I'm excited for the podcast. Sometimes Jeff gives games really good reviews but not because he personally super enjoyed them but because he thinks they are good games (if that makes sense). Like how he gave both Fallout 4 and Superhot the same score but obviously loves Superhot on a much more personal level. Not saying that's bad (quite the opposite actually). I'm curious if Horizon is a "yeah, it's really really good" or a "I fucking love this game".

I'm excited for the podcast. Sometimes Jeff gives games really good reviews but not because he personally super enjoyed them but because he thinks they are good games (if that makes sense). Like how he gave both Fallout 4 and Superhot the same score but obviously loves Superhot on a much more personal level. Not saying that's bad (quite the opposite actually). I'm curious if Horizon is a "yeah, it's really really good" or a "I fucking love this game".

Is Fallout 4 a good game, though?

Wunder

I hope there aren't spoilers in the bombcast. I'm usually not that kinda guy but since there's still a good week+ of time between now and release I'm more wary.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I hope they spoil everything on the podcast

"Aloy is actually a lizard person and the game turns into a top down shooter 2/3 of the way through, oh spoiler warning for anything after this on Horizon"

- Bradley Shoemaker 2/21/2017

"Aloy is actually a lizard person and the game turns into a top down shooter 2/3 of the way through, oh spoiler warning for anything after this on Horizon"

"Can I just say it? It's like, not even a big deal, but it was my favorite reveal of the game, but it's like a third of the way in so whatever. I'm just gonna say it."

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Is Fallout 4 a good game, though?

No, it's terrible but that's beside the point. He still gave it the same rating as Superhot. But when you hear him talk about both games, even outside the GotY talk, he is clearly way more enthusiastic about Superhot. And I'm curious if Horizon is a Fallout 4 or a Superhot for him.

The reality is probably more like "You get a new weapon after 2 hours or so" and people will still freak out.

Google

OK. Just pre-ordered Horizon. Thanks Jeff.

Also, Mordor is great. Fuck that story though - the most un-LOTR thing to be set in a LOTR world.

(lets go back and play those PS2 era games of the movies. They were great)

Mr. F

Banned
OK. Just pre-ordered Horizon. Thanks Jeff.

Also, Mordor is great. Fuck that story though - the most un-LOTR thing to be set in a LOTR world.

(lets go back and play those PS2 era games of the movies. They were great)

Yesss, loved those games as a kid. I played Return of the King with friends over the christmas break, still holds up.

So the Switch preview embargo is lifted on the 23rd. Wonder if the guys will do any sort of coverage on that day? Jeff did say that plans for coverage would be revealed soon, if I'm remembering right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom