• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #26 | goodbye white man blinking gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, it's terrible but that's beside the point. He still gave it the same rating as Superhot. But when you hear him talk about both games, even outside the GotY talk, he is clearly way more enthusiastic about Superhot. And I'm curious if Horizon is a Fallout 4 or a Superhot for him.

That seems like an inconsistent way to review games. A game that he loves and game he doesn't love should not get the same score.

jaina

So the Switch preview embargo is lifted on the 23rd. Wonder if the guys will do any sort of coverage on that day? Jeff did say that plans for coverage would be revealed soon, if I'm remembering right.
Is this comment from Friday what you're thinking of? Or did they say more on UPF?
Anonymous asked said:
I assume you are, but is GB doing a switch launch livestream? I mean, I know there's only gonna be like ten games on it at launch but I'd still like to see everyone's reactions and takeaways for the shit.
I assume we are, too! But everything's up in the air at the moment. The timing is all weird with it being GDC week and all, but we'll see how it all comes together.

Don't think anything's set in stone yet.

Jeff still holds the Gamespot rating system in his heart in some ways.
And the "inform the reader's purchasing decision" is still a purpose of their reviews

Curufinwe

Driveclub launched poor, had that whole mess with the PS+ version, and Sony shut down the developer. Just because a game can end up good, that doesn't stop it from it being a disaster. No Man's Sky could end up great, but it's still a disaster.

DirveClub sold well enough to support the making of the most content-rich season pass this generation (easily another full game's worth), and also a separate Bikes expansion. Sony deciding they didn't need another first party racer with GT on the way doesn't mean it was a disaster, and comparing it to The Order or No Man's Sky is just lazy. Paid DLC for those games is, unsurprisingly, non-existent.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...cer-that-became-one-of-the-generations-greats

Google

The reality is probably more like "You get a new weapon after 2 hours or so" and people will still freak out.

I'm not a person who is bothered by spoilers but lets not pretend Brad is incredibly lax with his 'spoiler tagging'.

Dude just wants to talk about the game, I get it. But come on, Brad. The game's been out for 3 days and people want to get their own way through the story with some element of surprise.

DirveClub sold well enough to support the making of the most content-rich season pass this generation (easily another full game's worth), and also a separate Bikes expansion. Sony deciding they didn't need another first party racer with GT on the way doesn't mean it was a disaster, and comparing it to The Order or No Man's Sky is just lazy. Paid DLC for those games is, unsurprisingly, non-existent.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...cer-that-became-one-of-the-generations-greats

Didn't they lay off much of the studio before the DLC was even released? The game had a troubled dev history with a bunch of delays, I'd be surprised if it really was financially successful.

Google

DirveClub sold well enough

Yeah, but DriveClub was a really bad racing game. It looks incredible but it's gameplay is straight out of a 1998 PS1 driving game.

Maybe that's what they were going for - but I really disliked it. It's lack of learning curve (like, where is the driving line guide that helps teach us the tracks) through to the lack of feedback on grip levels and braking. I found it a very underwhelming game, especially when you compare it to Forza, F1, P. Cars, Dirt Rally, etc.

Curufinwe

Didn't they lay off much of the studio before the DLC was even released? The game had a troubled dev history with a bunch of delays, I'd be surprised if it really was financially successful.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2015-03-19-sonys-evolution-confirms-layoffs

Update

Following the confirmation from Sony that jobs are being cut at Evolution Studios, sources have reported to Eurogamer that 55 people have lost their jobs, which equates to around half the studio.

One source also suggested some of those 55 may stay on as contractors.

Original story

Sony has confirmed that a number of staff at its Cheshire studio Evolution are facing redundancies as the company restructures.

"Evolution Studios will now focus on DriveClub as a service going forward, in particular, the important launch of the PS Plus Edition. We will be restructuring Evolution Studios to ensure that SCE WWS and in particular, Evolution Studios are in the best position to achieve these goals," Sony told Eurogamer in a statement.

Curufinwe

Yeah, but DriveClub was a really bad racing game. It looks incredible but it's gameplay is straight out of a 1998 PS1 driving game.

Maybe that's what they were going for - but I really disliked it. It's lack of learning curve (like, where is the driving line guide that helps teach us the tracks) through to the lack of feedback on grip levels and braking. I found it a very underwhelming game, especially when you compare it to Forza, F1, P. Cars, Dirt Rally, etc.

Where's the driving line in Dirt Rally? That game also has a much steeper learning curve and is just harder in general to play than DriveClub.

popo

I was really glad to launch the latest Yakuza video and see Vinny still sitting in. However, ten minutes in neither Dan nor Vinny seem to be paying any attention to the game - too busy discussing why children don't like chairs and if Dan would eat his own fingers if they were chicken fingers. Alex sounds a bit miffed.

Brad is still asleep, dreaming of one day becoming as famous a meme as Drew.

Actually I think Brad would hate that. Still doesn't really like to see himself in videos.

Jeff also gave Killzone 2 five stars so clearly he just hates Sony games not made by Guerilla.

He doesn't hate them. Just lies about how many copies they sell.

Google

Where's the driving line in Dirt Rally? That game also has a much steeper learning curve and is just harder in general to play than DriveClub.

There isnt one; well done for picking the single game out of my list that doesnt include a driving line.

(DR is one of the best driving games of the past few years because it's feedback model is second to none. You can feel the acceleration through physics of the game. When you skid at 60MPH in a mini, you can feel the grip level fading. The rain splattered mud of Wales comes across in multiple minute details.

DriveClub has lens flare.)

Gjerven

I was under the impression that DriveClub is an arcade racer, while the gameplay/games you compare it to lean much more towards sim.

Lunar FC

Worst post of the page candidate.

Google

I was under the impression that DriveClub is an arcade racer, while the gameplay/games you compare it to lean much more towards sim.

Maybe? Like I said, perhaps that's what they're going for.

Comparing it to Forza Horizon 2 which came out a month or so prior to DC it still favours incredibly poorly in my opinion.

Curufinwe

There isnt one; well done for picking the single game out of my list that doesnt include a driving line.

(DR is one of the best driving games of the past few years because it's feedback model is second to none. You can feel the acceleration through physics of the game. When you skid at 60MPH in a mini, you can feel the grip level fading. The rain splattered mud of Wales comes across in multiple minute details.

Dirt the only one on the list I've played and I didn't enjoy it as much as the less punishing DriveClub. Driving lines are not necessary for an enjoyable racing game, and neither are flashbacks. They're a crutch that are fine in some games, but that thankfully not every racing game developer leans on.

Wunder

They desperately need to increase episode length by a couple hours or have two episodes a week in BitE, especially if they want to dig deeper into the meatier mini-games or money making games later down the road. Also stop fighting every patrol and just run away D:

Its sales numbers were inflated by the aggressive bundling, (UK counts bundled games as a sale), yet in the sales threads it was often noted how many used copies were available. If it was successful financially it wouldn't have been broken apart then scuttled. Nobody walks away from profit.

Zaph

That's great for the game, but doesn't speak to my point - the game launched with the stink of a disaster and nothing, be it sales or free updates, changes that.

Is that outdated thinking considering how some games are now released? Probably, but I'm glad the press perpetuates it. I don't want publishers launching games psudeo-early access and have it not affect perception.

If you like Dirt Rally that much, you should try and find a copy of Richard Burn's Rally and get the Rally Sim mods

Hope we get a QL for Horizon whenever the embargo lifts, need that hot GB gameplay

*brad playing

whiguyblink.gif

I remember that Brad was borderline offended by the lore (not necessarily the story) in Shadow of Mordor
As someone who saw a video summarising the lore last week, it's uh... pretty.. uh... it kind of ruins / changes Celebrimbor a bit.
So I can kinda get Brad's reaction.
I bet Jeff secretly hates Horizon but gave it a high score to get the Driveclub people off his back
This must be why they're pretending to think Yakuza is a good game too, to appease Shenmue fans.

Curufinwe

That's great for the game, but doesn't speak to my point - the game launched with the stink of a disaster and nothing, be it sales or free updates, changes that.

I find your argument less persuasive than the Eurogamer article.

Its sales numbers were inflated by the aggressive bundling, (UK counts bundled games as a sale), yet in the sales threads it was often noted how many used copies were available. If it was successful financially it wouldn't have been broken apart then scuttled. Nobody walks away from profit.

I followed the price of the game closely because I didn't buy it at launch and wanted to get a good deal, and at least in the US its standard price was $40 new until summer 2015.

Also, people walk away from profits all the time in search of even bigger profits. It's what known as opportunity cost.

Curufinwe

Unlike NMS and The Order, the perception of DriveClub changed as it made huge improvements from where it was at launch. The existence of the BIkes expansion was a direct result of the success of the season pass.

curufinwe do you like any games not published by sony

I'll indulge your childish trolling with an actual answer.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=227876953&postcount=1623

1. Deus Ex Mankind Divided ; Immensely satisfying exploration and gameplay, plus an engaging story and interesting characters.
2. Dishonored 2 ; Immensely satisfying exploration and gameplay.
3. Uncharted 4 ; Great mix of precise shooting and solid stealth action.
4. Final Fantasy XV ; A summer road trip in the middle of winter makes for a relaxing, good time.
5. Zero Time Dilemma ; Complex motives, easy platinum.
6. Dirt Rally ; Driving model is great, but the AI is unfairly hard.
7. Table Top Racing: World Tour ; My favorite PS+ game of 2016.
8. Ratchet and Clank ; Not a patch on A Crack in Time.

I find your argument less persuasive than the Eurogamer article.

I followed the price of the game closely because I didn't buy it at launch and wanted to get a good deal, and at least in the US its standard price was $40 new until summer 2015.

Also, people walk away from profits all the time in search of even bigger profits. It's what known as opportunity cost.

Racing games in the US are as dead as the dodo, extreme niche community (Im part of it).

Also getting rid of evolution and killing DC if they were profitible makes no sense. It wasnt in direct competition wit GT and represented a type of driving game that is basically not represented.

Curufinwe

Racing games in the US are as dead as the dodo, extreme niche community (Im part of it).

Also getting rid of evolution and killing DC if they were profitible makes no sense. It wasnt in direct competition wit GT and represented a type of driving game that is basically not represented.

There's a difference between being profitable, and being the best use of limited resources. Again, opportunity costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom