• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #26 | goodbye white man blinking gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
It really does suck when someone you've built a (one way I will grant you) rapport with leaves. NO ONE ELSE IS ALLOWED TO GO, BAR THE DOORS. I'm looking at you Vinny.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Drew leaving was kind of my nightmare scenario for Giant Bomb.
Jeff and Vinny for me. Jeff because he has talked about having ideas for games and getting approached to do consulting work and Vinny because of his family and his great video work experience. I'm still afraid!

d7458ebb84241c74efbf125dbfe516c8.png

I would guess you'd probably be better served if you had some work in those areas, but you never know until you try it.

Or maybe if you're good at gif making and / or screen capping forum posts it could be your time to shine.

Yeah. It's like, I know I could work well on camera and on microphone, but I don't have anything to show for it. My cover letter would probably come off as pleading or something. "Hey, I don't have anything to show you, but I swear I can do it! Gimme a chance!" Unless my writing is just that good, I doubt I'd get a call.

daveo42

Banned
And Jeff talking about adding new hires was to expand their capacity to add new types of content. If he was trying to grow bigger than they were pre-Austin-leaving, he'd have to be eyeing multiple positions, especially now.

Well we don't know if he's been held up by hr over open reqs.

Then move on.

Drew doesn't seem like the kind of guy who comes up and is all like "Yo guys, I'm out next month kay? See cya!". I bet they knew for a while.

I know that. We all know that. I was leaning towards six months, but that is a bit too far on the liberal side.

Deadstar

So I'm assuming based on the job listing for the editorial spot in the west, that it would be pointless to apply if I don't have video and podcast samples to include? I've done a lot of writing, but that's about it.

Sorry to derail the Drew-love, but I didn't know who else to ask or where to ask it :3

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Also, the secret to getting ahead, is getting started.

Catvoca

Banned
Jeff and Vinny for me. Jeff because he has talked about having ideas for games and getting approached to do consulting work and Vinny because of his family and his great video work experience. I'm still afraid!

I'm not sure I could handle Brad leaving for real

Jeff, Brad and Vinny are the last originals left. Alex if you make his tenure retroactive because of his being part of the GameSpot gang.

Of these three, I think Vinny is the most likely to leave, because of his family. I honestly don't ever see Jeff or Brad leaving. Especially Jeff. He's worked in this industry since before he got out of puberty. And I remember well at last E3 when Johnny V started crying as he was telling how he was scared for his future, and Jeff told him he would land on his feet, and then he said how, unlike Johnny, he doesn't have any skills other than talking and writing about video games, which makes it nigh impossible for him to do any other job.

Anyways, I would be super bummed out if either Jeff, Brad or Vinny left. Even Alex. For me, the straw that would break the camel's back would be if either West or East did not have any originals on their team. That would honestly make me break off from the community. I don't know what I'd do.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Jeff, Brad and Vinny are the last originals left.

Of these three, I think Vinny is the most likely to leave, because of his family. I honestly don't ever see Jeff or Brad leaving. Especially Jeff. He's worked in this industry since before he got out of puberty. And I remember well at last E3 when Johnny V started crying as he was telling how he was scared for his future, and Jeff told him he would land on his feet, and then he said how, unlike Johnny, he doesn't have any skills other than talking and writing about video games, which makes it nigh impossible for him to do any other job.
I guess you're not aware how basically any game journalist from the early 2000s works at Ubisoft or Riot now.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
We all know that the day Vinny leaves they'll shut down the internet cause it's not worth the trouble anymore. But since he seems to like parts of the internet I think we are safe for a while.

Jakoo

GBWest will have taken a hit with the departures of Dan and Drew. While I love Brad and Jeff's perspective and consider them both key members of the podcasts, they both are very analytical and lacking in enthusiasm even when talking about even things they like. Dan and Drew definitely both added some lightness that contrasted well with that.

Anyone have any thoughts on who the next duder(ette?) will be? Think it will be an existing name in the industry, or will Jeff hire someone a bit greener?

Coonce

damn. this news sucks, but I hope the best for Drewbert.

still, can't wait to see the new hires bring some life into GB west.

Jeff, Brad and Vinny are the last originals left. Alex if you make his tenure retroactive because of his being part of the GameSpot gang.

Anyways, I would be super bummed out if either Jeff, Brad or Vinny left. Even Alex. For me, the straw that would break the camel's back would be if either West or East did not have any originals on their team. That would honestly make me break off from the community. I don't know what I'd do.

Jeff was clearly being modest. He has skills which could be applied to countless high paying jobs.

TraBuch

Banned
Drew leaving has really gotten me thinking...GB's not gonna last forever. Jeff's gonna do something else eventually. Vinny's probably too talented to stick around on a video game website forever. Alex is gonna leave. Brad's gonna leave.

Eventually, the only thing left will be Dan in NY and Jason in SF and the only content we'll ever get are skype calls between the two where Jason shits on Dan for an hour five times a week.

I'm bumming myself out.

Jeff was clearly being modest. He has skills which could be applied to countless high paying jobs.

Maybe, but he also said he hasn't finished high school, which would make a lot of jobs unavailable to him.

In any case, I don't ever see Jeff leaving for the simple reason that he loves his job and that he has mentioned many times how he doesn't want to do anything else. Just look at his Twitter blurb.

Drew leaving has really gotten me thinking...GB's not gonna last forever. Jeff's gonna do something else eventually. Vinny's probably too talented to stick around on a video game website forever. Alex is gonna leave. Brad's gonna leave.

Eventually, the only thing left will be Dan in NY and Jason in SF and the only content we'll ever get are skype calls between the two where Jason shits on Dan for an hour five times a week.

I'm bumming myself out.

All good things come to an end.

1UP died. Gamespot died.

Giant Bomb has had a longer run than most and will keep going for some time. The site does die the day Vinny leaves, though.

I feel like Vinny would have left by now if he was gonna, once you have kids and move across a country but stay at the same company it means you're pretty settled.

Brad will stay too unless he gets sick of us.

Jeff is going down with the ship.

So is Alex.

Dan will be next.

Rorie could become a vagrant I suppose.

Jason? *shrug*

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Maybe, but he also said he hasn't finished high school, which would make a lot of jobs unavailable to him.

Dude, you build up a repertoire like jeff has and a piece of paper means nothing. People don't look at your education at that point, more at your professional career.

Catvoca

Banned

I'm bumming myself out.

Unless something drastically changes, I think Jeff will work on GB until he retires at this point.

Drew is a cool dude and I hope for the best. If anything I am excited to potentially have some new quality content out there on the web.

BUT I can totally understand him leaving. Dude has worked at GB since basically leaving college. He is still young and not tied down and its not like CBSi San Fran is a bastion of upward trajectory for its staff. If its not time to take a risk and be adventurous then when?

No matter how much you may love a job and co workers, some guys just got to branch out and take the risk while you still love what you do and dont have a family to support or something.

Sucks for the site and it underlines a pre existing "you ok man?" feeling around the San Francisco office but for a site thats been around this long you are bound to have peaks and valleys.

Also on a slightly related topic. What the heck is Dave upto these days? Webhook still a thing?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Whatever happens, I'll go where jeff goes. Dude is the lifeblood of the site.

Also I doubt Dan is going. I get the impresssion that GB is pretty much his dream job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom