• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #26 | goodbye white man blinking gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
rip the only regular premium podcast

Didn't it stop being a premium podcast a while ago?

THANK THE MEME GOD. I will absolutely continue to listen to any racing thing Danny and Drew choose to do. Alt+F1 has been an awesome addition to GB and I am very happy they are continuing it.

Going by the tweet, it will be a new podcast. AltF1, unless continued by someone at Giant Bomb, will probably fade away. But the name's not important, but rather the hosts and the content they produce.

popo

That thread in gaming really does read like someone had died. Has GAF always been this like this or has Trump made everyone fragile?

2921445-tumblr_inline_olfwi9hvmf1r76lqg_500.jpg

Giant Bombcast 469: Meme Money, Meme Problems
This week we can't stop gushing about Horizon: Zero Dawn, but we manage to take a break for some early Switch impressions, a list of exciting hedgehog facts, Erik Wolpaw's Final Fight One review, and a surprise announcement from the Internet's favorite reaction star.

Hasney

Mary would've been perfect, especially now, considering her experience with Video Production. She seemed to fit in with them so well. Twitch takes everybody!

Yeah, I'm guessing GiantBomb pay similar to GameSpot though, so they would have grabbed her anyway.

A female addition to the editorial crew would be ace, but when you consider the critirea of:

• The number of women in the industry and with experience
  • Has to be around San Fran on willing to re-locate
  • Has to then be a good fit and comfortable on camera if not already experienced

I think it makes it tough. Hopefully there's a woman out there that cits the bill though. I honestly don't know what US writer is from where in the US other than GiantBomb, EZA and by extension, FunHaus because that's where Elyse went though.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Waypoint actually has a pretty large female presence, but people reaaaaally don't like it when they get into the more feminine side of gaming.

Mary would've been perfect, especially now, considering her experience with Video Production. She seemed to fit in with them so well. Twitch takes everybody!
Mary was the chosen one and Twitch stole her away from us.

Her Yakuza stream during UPF convinced me to buy the game.

Love you Mary Kish.

popo

If money were the primary concern then anyone still working in the gaming press would have quit and moved out of SF years ago.

It is why it used to be a revolving door for a long time. Used to be a running joke that you put in 18 months at 1up and then a cushy community managers job awaited you.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Is talking about robots fucking the feminine side of gaming?

Kind of, honestly. Like honestly, the fanfiction and fanart side of what people consider to be "core" gaming has a pretty big female presence, or at least that's my perception of it. Even the racier stuff.

popo

Not the greatest progressive move if the few women in the gaming press are just shuffled around different positions. There has to be more then enough new talent out there.

Mary would have been a good fir for GB. Maybe too good a fit. They could stand to change things up a bit.

I think USgamer might have hired all the existing female editors anyway :D

justjim89

Would it be too over the top for me to sing a version of Danny Boy paying tribute to Drew called Drew-y Boy?

Cause if it's not too over the top I won't do it.

kai3345

Banned
yeah im hoping the replacements for dan & drew out west are some fresh faces, and not someone we've seen before at another site.

Hasney

Not the greatest progressive move if the few women in the gaming press are just shuffled around different positions. There has to be more then enough new talent out there.

Mary would have been a good fir for GB. Maybe too good a fit. They could stand to change things up a bit.

I get that, but this isn't an intern position I don't believe, so they've got to have some experience unless someone really impresses.

Jeff did say he's listening to podcasts from the resumes though, so they might be going for someone very fresh.

Tubobutts

Kind of, honestly. Like honestly, the fanfiction and fanart side of what people consider to be "core" gaming has a pretty big female presence, or at least that's my perception of it. Even the racier stuff.
Does sending me gifs of nude modded TF2 characters fucking count as fanart?

I was thinking about Drew leaving last week. It was when Vinny said he used to make $80k as a freelance video guy and that was years ago.

If Drew leaving leads to less posting of that meme then that is a devil's bargain I could live with.
80k doesn't get you that far in NYC or San Francisco.

popo

I get that, but this isn't an intern position I don't believe, so they've got to have some experience unless someone really impresses.

Jeff did say he's listening to podcasts from the resumes though, so they might be going for someone very fresh.

Well one of the positions is a junior one. Also it doesn't have to be a totally new writer - just someone who isn't already widely known at the major sites. Hell, it doesn't even have to be a writer. Twitch has lots of female streamers and they are not all just booby streamers. Plus they can actually play games to a decent level ;P

80k doesn't get you that far in NYC or San Francisco.

Well if you were freelance you would not have to live in either city. Plus that was 80k for a much younger and less experienced Vinny. I am sure an experienced video editor and camera operator could do very well as a freelancer.

Tubobutts

SouceFilmmaker is art
This was pre source filmmaker so you know they were even bigger fans.
Well one of the positions is a junior one. Also it doesn't have to be a totally new writer - just someone who isn't already widely known anf at the major sites. Hell, it doesn't even have to be a writer. Twitch has lots of female streamers and they are not all just booby streamers. Plus they can actually play games to a decent level ;P
Disqualified

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I just want a new Dan that can revitilize west, someone who can start up some new #content

Anyone know if cloning people are a viable strategy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom