• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #26 | goodbye white man blinking gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wunder

That This is the Run video was a bit odd. Are they playing Contra until they beat it? Or are they playing a new game each episode?

Sounded like they are doing one 'run' until they beat Contra, then possibly moving on to other games? Seems hard/pointless if they move on to another game right after

jaina

Quoting for new page
1. new series
2. first tackled game is Contra
3. They are playing until they beat it
4. For Contra, one run counts as all 3 Continues used
5. One run per video part

So next video will be Contra Part 2

Huh. So it's going to be a bunch of videos of the beginning of Contra?
damn.

that's a good concept if it doesn't result in the first level of contra over and over again

They got further in Part 1 than I expected.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I'd rather watch Contra than "here's this trash we found on steam two minutes ago, let's play it."

daveo42

Banned
I don't think a lot of it is his fault. I try to get people into the series all the time and watch as they struggle a lot with MGS1. It's a difficult game with a ton of different mechanics that it doesn't ease you into.

Definitely. It took me ages to figure out the tank fight and I do remember having a lot of issues with the Rex fight at the end when I first played it. Even now I still get caught here and there, I just know ways to mitigate any issues. That Sniper Wolf fight before the interrogation tho...fuck that fight. I can clear it, but the lack of cover or sniping positions means I burn through most of my rations. I'm actually curious how Drew will handle this fight and all the stuff that comes with it.

You got Dan who is backseat driving and super into playing without stealth so of course Drew will screw up often. Even Brad who's super methodical will end up screwing up in Hitman cuz Dan told him to do some pretty dumb stuff for entertainment.

I'm only a few episodes in, but so far some of Dan's suggestions haven't been all that bad and have helped in keeping Drew moving forward, but ya...Dan backseat driving usually ends with some funny stuff at the expense of the person playing. Also, playing MGS as a stealth game takes way more patience and time to even look half good and only because you know how the enemy AI works. Even then you'll get lax and screw up.

LiK

Definitely. It took me ages to figure out the tank fight and I do remember having a lot of issues with the Rex fight at the end when I first played it. Even now I still get caught here and there, I just know ways to mitigate any issues. That Sniper Wolf fight before the interrogation tho...fuck that fight. I can clear it, but the lack of cover or sniping positions means I burn through most of my rations. I'm actually curious how Drew will handle this fight and all the stuff that comes with it.

I'm only a few episodes in, but so far some of Dan's suggestions haven't been all that bad and have helped in keeping Drew moving forward, but ya...Dan backseat driving usually ends with some funny stuff at the expense of the person playing. Also, playing MGS as a stealth game takes way more patience and time to even look half good and only because you know how the enemy AI works. Even then you'll get lax and screw up.

Dan is pretty good in MGS1 cuz he has quite a reverence for it. MGS2 and MGS3 gets nuts, lol.

Wunder

I predict they will beat Contra on their fifth run.

This would not be fun to watch, honestly. That game is fucked. And it's single-player only.

Yeah I was gonna say 5 or less, I think they'll get to the last stages on their second/third run and get a good start on their fourth or something.

So in general XCOM 2 doesn't run great, right? Booted it up last night for the first time and was having trouble getting a solid 60. I'm running it at 4K, but it's not like there's much going on visually.

Putting "Part 1" in the title name for the Contra thing is a bit of a spoiler since it's then obvious that it wasn't the run. I love the feature, though.

Also, going back a few pages to that shaggy hair Jeff classic Gamespot video... if you go to the part about 3:22 into the video with the Halo 2 launch, that's gotta be a Midnight Brown track playing, right? Sounds like Jeff's voice.

So in general XCOM 2 doesn't run great, right? Booted it up last night for the first time and was having trouble getting a solid 60. I'm running it at 4K, but it's not like there's much going on visually.

Uh, it's been updated a few times so it runs fine. It's actually rendering a lot so the kill cams look good when they go off. The fire effects are what used to kill it, but it's probably because you're trying to render it all at 4K.

Uh, it's been updated a few times so it runs fine. It's actually rendering a lot so the kill cams look good when they go off. The fire effects are what used to kill it, but it's probably because you're trying to render it all at 4K.

Hm, yeah I guess I'm asking a lot of it. I got spoiled by DOOM, Battlefield, and Titanfall 2 which all run fantastic at 4K.

Scizzy

Putting "Part 1" in the title name for the Contra thing is a bit of a spoiler since it's then obvious that it wasn't the run. I love the feature, though.

I went back to check to see if they labeled the Dan vs. Mike Tyson video "part 1" to fool the audience. They did not.

KingKong

Don't want to complain about content, but this is more GBeast content thats just good for background audio. would rather they do anything else than another series about playing through old games where nothing funny or interesting can even happen on screen

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Man, playing steins;gate 0 just reminds me of how fucking good steins;gate is. In a good way. I'm enjoying 0 so much I want to go back and play the original again.

Don't want to complain about content, but this is more GBeast content thats just good for background audio. would rather they do anything else than another series about playing through old games where nothing funny or interesting can even happen on screen

I disagree in this particular case, but only because I played through Contra as a kid so many times that it's really novel to see it again.

But if you have no fondness for Contra, or if you're young enough that you've never even seen it, then yeah I guess this wouldn't be nearly as cool.

jaina

Maybe the livestream title of Eye of the Ryckert had the "part 01" in it. Because I remember that too and checked. Hopefully Drew posts and confirms.

LiK

Man, playing steins;gate 0 just reminds me of how fucking good steins;gate is. In a good way. I'm enjoying 0 so much I want to go back and play the original again.

i'm gonna go watch the anime. i already replayed the original in 2015 when it came to consoles. Haven't seen the anime adaptation and I got the Blu set from a sale a year ago. glad you're enjoying it. isn't Maho awesome?

Why do you hate Shantae

I hate WayForward because they have two modes:

Mediocre-to-bad gameplay with decent presentation plus an undertone of borderline fanservice (Shantae, Mighty Switch Force, that shitty Humble Monthly game they made)

Mediocre-to-bad gameplay with decent presentation that plays too heavily off nostalgia and doesn't have anything interesting or unique to add to the mix (Contra 4, that "It's like Zelda 2 but not good" Adventure Time game, etc)

Oh, and they make outright shitty licensed games too, so I guess that's three modes.

patapuf

Shantae and the Pirate's curse was legit good imo.

1/2 Genie Hero is a bit worse but it's fine.

I don't know, i like the series charm even though there's probably better and more difficult metroidvanias around.

TraBuch

Banned
I really don't get why Vinny doesn't just do an FMVinny feature. Vinny playing FMV games has always been some of the most entertaining content on the site.

LiK

i watched videos for Hitman easter eggs and holy crap, IO put some hilarious ones in there, I hope they make a Brad and Dan NPC easter egg where Dan is yelling at Brad to do something stupid.

Just popping in to say that cereal milk is mad gross and I too don't drink that garbage after all the cereal is gone. I love cereal and milk. I love just milk, I have a glass of milk every night, but fuck cereal milk.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
The original Shantae is going for $350.

0077_cjydj.gif

daveo42

Banned

I still need to pick that up. Steins;Gate was so good and I was so glad they released the PC version a few years back.

i'm gonna go watch the anime. i already replayed the original in 2015 when it came to consoles. Haven't seen the anime adaptation and I got the Blu set from a sale a year ago. glad you're enjoying it. isn't Maho awesome?

The anime is good, but the VN is way better. Plus, you get all the alternate endings and an actual better reason/ending for a few of the characters. Downside, it's super long and a guide is a must for which choices to make to get all the endings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom