• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #26 | goodbye white man blinking gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, I wish I had nostalgia for 16 and 32 bit, but those features just don't hold my attention at all. More ps1 /n64 and ps2/dreamcast era please .

Giganteus

So there are atleast three of you weirdos.
Count me in with them. I used to love it when i was a kid, so I'd let the cereal soak in it for a few minutes then pour the milk into another bowl or cup to drink it, and throw out the cereal. But you know what happened? I grew up and now I'm defecting.

Double ups to cereal milk.🖕🖕

I'll drink it if there's a tiny amount left.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I feel like people always said that Way Forward games have good music. After that Shantae QL I have to disagree. That sounded god awful

Yeah I put that together a few days ago judging by some of Dannys recent Twitter activities.

Not exactly a lot of Irish based game devs and its not like he was going to do a doc about DemonWare.

I should make it a goal to try meet John Romero while he is working in Ireland.

I'd be concerned that he's still interested in making you his "bitch."

Mupod

i watched videos for Hitman easter eggs and holy crap, IO put some hilarious ones in there, I hope they make a Brad and Dan NPC easter egg where Dan is yelling at Brad to do something stupid.

With a challenge to blow them up with a proximity mine, of course.

Ya know, IO Interactive earning the Giant Bomb GOTY is some poetic full circle stuff now that I think about it.

I didn't even know they made Kane and Lynch until recently. But yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

I hate WayForward because they have two modes:

Mediocre-to-bad gameplay with decent presentation plus an undertone of borderline fanservice (Shantae, Mighty Switch Force, that shitty Humble Monthly game they made)

Mediocre-to-bad gameplay with decent presentation that plays too heavily off nostalgia and doesn't have anything interesting or unique to add to the mix (Contra 4, that "It's like Zelda 2 but not good" Adventure Time game, etc)

Oh, and they make outright shitty licensed games too, so I guess that's three modes.

I agree with most of this, but the last two Shantae games are good. Prior to that, Wayforward games left me feeling either confused that people held them in high esteem or like I was missing something because that couldn't possibly be the whole game. The only exception I can think of is the Boy and his Blob remake, which is a solid game with some pretty frustrating moments.

daveo42

Banned
i'm gonna go watch the anime. i already replayed the original in 2015 when it came to consoles. Haven't seen the anime adaptation and I got the Blu set from a sale a year ago. glad you're enjoying it. isn't Maho awesome?

The anime is good, but the VN is way better. Plus, you get all the alternate endings and an actual better reason/ending for a few of the characters. Downside, it's super long and a guide is a must for which choices to make to get all the endings.

Get it brah. It's amazing.

I mean, I would have time if I stopped playing FFX HD. Speaking of, I really wish that game had a free camera. Also, I completely forgot like the whole first hour+ of the game...like pretty much everything up till you get to town. I thought it cut from opening cinematic to the beach to the town...which is where you start meeting people. Seems like I forgot alot in the past 15 years.

LiK

The anime is good, but the VN is way better. Plus, you get all the alternate endings and an actual better reason/ending for a few of the characters. Downside, it's super long and a guide is a must for which choices to make to get all the endings.

I mean, I would have time if I stopped playing FFX HD. Speaking of, I really wish that game had a free camera. Also, I completely forgot like the whole first hour+ of the game...like pretty much everything up till you get to town. I thought it cut from opening cinematic to the beach to the town...which is where you start meeting people. Seems like I forgot alot in the past 15 years.

yea, I watched the first ep after beating the game and it already cut out a lot of stuff i loved in the VN so i took a break from it. but I am curious to see everyone in motion instead of being stills.

also, stop playing FFXHD and play S;G 0 :p

Remember when Alex and Patrick started a Risk of Rain "series" and finished it on the first try?

edit: They even had a name for it: "Riskin' Rain" lol

I'd say the Punch Out one was crazier, considering all the prep that Drew and Jason did for Dan. They expected it would take weeks, if not months. Dan did it in one day.

Meguro

Banned
Scalebound looked like shit everytime they showed it so I'm not too surprised but it's still a bummer.
MS software lineup looks really....boring now.
Good thing all things MS now also come to the PC.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Scalebound rumor is a bit of a bummer.

What if Kamiya is now part of "bad Platinum"?
There never was a clear distinction between bad and good Platinum.

Big fan of the studio, but that game didn't do much for me. I'm much more looking forward to Nier. But I hope this won't hit them too hard.

Zaph

GQ7iKuh.jpg

need new wallpaper?

I'd say the Punch Out one was crazier, considering all the prep that Drew and Jason did for Dan. They expected it would take weeks, if not months. Dan did it in one day.

That, and Tyson was Dan's white whale for like 25 years. He did like 3 hours of trying to beat him at Game Informer, too.

Scalebound looked like shit everytime they showed it so I'm not too surprised but it's still a bummer.
MS software lineup looks really....boring now.
Good thing all things MS now also come to the PC.

Have they said Halo will come to PC, or will that be a special, XBOX only case? I'd have assumed by now that the Master Chief Collection and 5 would've come to PC if Halo was a Play Anywhere game.

GQ7iKuh.jpg

need new wallpaper?

Brad probably wishes he had Danny's job right now, following the visit to id and now this.

Scalebound rumor is a bit of a bummer.

What if Kamiya is now part of "bad Platinum"?

Scalebound has always looked terrible.

His last game, Wonderful 101, never showed well either, but it was really good when it came out. It seemed to come together at the end, but Microsoft doesn't seem like the sort of publisher that has enough patience to let that happen. Remember how they fucked over Obsidian? Or destroyed Lionhead? Or the Phantom Dust debacle? Or how they turned Black Tusk into a Gears factory?

Oh well.

Meguro

Banned
Have they said Halo will come to PC, or will that be a special, XBOX only case? I'd have assumed by now that the Master Chief Collection and 5 would've come to PC if Halo was a Play Anywhere game.

I guess they haven't?
I just assumed it from their language about making the PC and XBONE a connected platform and stuff.
And technically there is something Halo 5 on PC!

TraBuch

Banned
I just saw a Dave & Buster's commercial advertising life-size Rock Em Sock Em Robots. Is this new? Has anyone tried it? There's no D&B near me so I can't try it out 😕

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I suspect "This is the Run" is something where they record a bunch of episodes in bursts and put them out over time. Record 2-3 runs when they have a spare recording day or extra time, then load em into the content cannon for when they are needed. Especially with arcade-like stuff such as Contra, if you put it down for days/weeks you're gonna forget the tech you just learned in the last playthough. Or maybe they really are just recording them 1 shot at a time whenever they feel like it and this series will run for years. Who knows?

I'd do the former, but I will never underestimate Vinny's ability to do the unexpected.

Scalebound has always looked terrible.

His last game, Wonderful 101, never showed well either, but it was really good when it came out. It seemed to come together at the end, but Microsoft doesn't seem like the sort of publisher that has enough patience to let that happen. Remember how they fucked over Obsidian? Or destroyed Lionhead? Or the Phantom Dust debacle? Or how they turned Black Tusk into a Gears factory?

Oh well.

Yeah I can see that.

Like I could see maybe MS saw how quick MGS Rising came together by Platinum and wanted a similar quick 2 year project for the easy boost and it just didnt happen that quick.

Meguro

Banned
Platinum is making a Granblue Fantasy game.
They'll be fine as a company at least.
I'd probably expect heavy layoffs though.

I hate WayForward because they have two modes:

Mediocre-to-bad gameplay with decent presentation plus an undertone of borderline fanservice (Shantae, Mighty Switch Force, that shitty Humble Monthly game they made)

Mediocre-to-bad gameplay with decent presentation that plays too heavily off nostalgia and doesn't have anything interesting or unique to add to the mix (Contra 4, that "It's like Zelda 2 but not good" Adventure Time game, etc)

Oh, and they make outright shitty licensed games too, so I guess that's three modes.

I was really proud of the games I made while I was there, but to each his/her own I guess. I'm really happy that Shantae seems to be doing so well for them.
Edit: How do you feel about Shovel Knight?

Brad saying stuff like "the platforming has been pretty basic so far" and then dying a bunch of times on a platforming section a few minutes later will always make me laugh.

In a good way. Love you Brad.

I was really proud of the games I made while I was there, but to each his/her own I guess. I'm really happy that Shantae seems to be doing so well for them.
Edit: How do you feel about Shovel Knight?

Shovel Knight is a step above WayForward, but I honestly probably wouldn't have bought it if I wasn't drunk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom