• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #26 | goodbye white man blinking gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin

I mean this in a genuine non-snarky way: is there anyone in here who uses their XBOne as their primary "library building" platform? As in, has bought most of the major games the purchased in the last few years for XBO?

I do. Got the PS4 and XBO at launch and it's probably been 2 years since I have turned on my PS4.

Edit: I forgot about The Witness. The release of The Witness was the last time I turned on my PS4.

kirbriyhn.gif

Ill be honest

Scalebound was just there. Like...I didnt see it being a sales nor critical hit.

I don't think there was a lot of excitement around the game, to be honest. I think there is with some people. The game itself had some things that could be interesting, but it felt like it will be a mess.

I don't hate WayForward, but yeah I don't like the fanservice that much. Half Genie Hero at least looks like it has more diverse female body designs, but every female character in Pirate's Curse could have been a pallet swap with a slightly different bikini on, and I can't quite get over Shantae's wide eyed innocent enthusiasm coupled with pants cut about one inch above her groin. There's "bikini because of a warm climate" which is...fair reasoning, most of the dudes are shirtless also, and then there's this:

Would it be better if, instead of "wide eyed innocent enthusiasm," Shantae was just fucking raw as shit? Like licking people's faces and stomping fools with a cigarette in her mouth.

hamchan

I actually think this Xbox Play Anywhere move might have been a mistake because if there's one thing PC gamers apparently hate more than not getting console exclusive games, it's getting the exclusive games but being forced to use the Windows 10 store.

I do. Got the PS4 and XBO at launch and it's probably been 2 years since I have turned on my PS4.

Edit: I forgot about The Witness. The release of The Witness was the last time I turned on my PS4.

I am the exact opposite, Inside was the last time i turned on my XBO.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I don't disagree but it'd improve the overall portfolio of the Xbox, which is seen as Halo-Gears-Forza.
And atleast two of those franchises aren't looking that great.
If you factor in the IP buyout and the formation of the studio, Gears 4 has to be one of the most expensive MS games ever. I really wonder how that will turn out, because they basically have to continue making those games no matter what.

I actually think this Xbox Play Anywhere move might have been a mistake because if there's one thing PC gamers apparently hate more than not getting console exclusive games, it's getting the exclusive games but being forced to use the Windows 10 store.
The real problem is how bad that store (and some of the ports themselves) is. PC gamers don't need Steam, they use many other clients for EA games, Blizzard games, LoL or MMOs. But they all have set a certain quality standard. And now one of the biggest companies in the world comes along and can't match what they did. It's kind of embarrasing.

Scizzy

Really curious what their approach with Project Scorpio will be at E3

Odds on Brad/Alex telling us emails to MS for E3 Nightshow bookings went unanswered?

Phil Spencer will come for sure. No corporate suit is better at seeming to be an actual human in the entire industry.

daveo42

Banned
Scalebound looked awful.

Scalebound didn't have a single good showing. Even it's announce trailer was pretty meh. I think the only thing that got people riled up at the time wasn't the concept...it was over it being a Platinum game. Still kinda shocked it's getting cancelled tho...MS saving up cash for new Scorpio games later this year?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Ill be honest

Scalebound was just there. Like...I didnt see it being a sales nor critical hit.
A very Japanese game was never going to sell on an Xbox console. It was going to bomb hard and was a leftover of MS trying to make amends for their shitty reveal.

Put me in the disappointed that they cancelled Scalebound because I was looking forward to it camp. While it did look rough in spots, I was still intrigued and thought it had a few neat ideas.

This is great. Looking forward to runs of other games as well when they beat Contra!

This is going to be awesome. The post on Patreon goes into more detail.

Now Platinum is free to make Vanquish 2. ��

I wouldn't say no to that.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I used to think whenever people were talking about a sequel to Drakengard that they were talking about Drakan which I thought was an awesome game.

This is silly. A bad game doesn't improve the "overall portfolio," it makes it worse.

My point is, at the very least, it can attract an audience outside that bubble.

Anecdotally, I know a number of friends who bought an Xbox 360 for Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Ninja Gaiden 2, etc. but didn't care about what one would call the main pillars of the Xbox brand. I myself jumped into the Xbox ecosystem for Sega's Xbox exclusives; Jet Set Radio Future, Gunvalkyriem and Shenmue 2 were my first Xbox games (admittedly JSRF and Sega GT were bundled).

This is silly. A bad game doesn't improve the "overall portfolio," it makes it worse.

It's less about the portfolio than this being a continuation of MS mismanaging their projects. Phantom Dust, Recore, Scalebound, Fable Legends (which killed Lionhead), and now with Crackdown 3 being MIA for a long ass time there is cause for concern about the direction there.

hamchan

Seriously though, Scalebound never appealed to me in trailers but I also don't remember any time Platinum or Hideki Kamiya has ever failed to make a good game when given a semi-big budget, so it's just a real shame.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
This seems to be a common Mafia 3 issue. More than the sum of it's parts.
I think because I enjoyed the start I have this thought of 'eventually it'll be good again. right?.... right?'

like I just got a side mission with a cutscene so I was like 'cool some real missions' and that just turned into generic assassination missions with no cutscenes and no story. The game is basically an MMO with cutscenes to pampher the kill 10 rats quest for the 50th time

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Are games with pilotable dragons just cursed?

Lair, Scalebound, every Panzer Dragon like game made since the first 1...
You missed the best one: Ozzy's Black Skies. A PS2 game featuring Ozzy Osbourne riding a dragon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj1wCUTAxcs

The game was also to feature music from Osbourne, including "Crazy Train" and "Paranoid," as well as a track recorded specifically for iRock (the song was called "Black Skies")

FStop7

Banned
I haven't listened to any like pre-2011 bombcasts, you got any you would recommend?

whaaaat

This is like reading a comic book without ever having read the first issues. You need to know the origin stories.

I just realized it will be the 10th anniversary of The Firing of Jeff Gerstmann this year.

I haven't listened to any like pre-2011 bombcasts, you got any you would recommend?

Just listen to 12/09/08. It's the second take of the Bombcast that day because the first take was lost due to a hard drive failure.

It is so fucking funny and will never be topped. All 4 at the top of their game.

Scizzy

Just listen to 12/09/08. It's the second take of the Bombcast that day because the first take was lost due to a hard drive failure.

It is so fucking funny and will never be topped. All 4 at the top of their game.

This inspired me to listen to my favorite Bombcast segment, "Ryan Davis is a narc," for the first time in a while. Man, I love both current podcasts, but nothing can compare to hearing the original four together, with or without Patrick.

FStop7

Banned
This inspired me to listen to my favorite Bombcast segment, "Ryan Davis is a narc," for the first time in a while. Man, I love both current podcasts, but nothing can compare to hearing the original four together, with or without Patrick.

What's funny is these days a hotel in California wouldn't give two shits about someone smoking pot in their hotel room. They'd hit them with cleaning fees for the act of smoking, but the fact it's pot wouldn't even be worth mentioning. Times have changed.

Salarians

remembering Parasite Eve = ☺

remembering The 3rd Birthday and everything awful about it = 😩

Start from the beginning.
Yeah, seriously. Not just because they're good podcasts but also as a sort of time capsule to that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom