• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #26 | goodbye white man blinking gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megasoum

Banned
Finished Call of Duty, really enjoyed it.

The credits thing was cool.

Speaking of credits, I noticed a bunch of licensed songs that I either don't remember hearing or have missed for some reason.

Like, where does REM or Europe even play during the game?

I had the same thought... It's all Zombie mode stuff (it's 80s Hollywood themed)

daveo42

Banned
Compared to how good she looks in MGS1?

MGS1 is a bad game, but Twin Snakes improves it a little bit at least.

I thought Twin Snakes was the bad one? MGS is legit good. It's aged like hell but it's still a fun game and plays great for a game that came out almost two decades ago.

robotrock

Banned
A potential jeff+dan+vinny+alex+jeffb beastcast this week on switch news would be pretty great. I'm all for them recording the beastcast a day later if they need to

justjim89

Wait if you don't like MGS1 then why were you disappointed by 5? I don't see how you could like any entry in the series if you didn't like that one.

MGS1 is good in story and characters, but it's bad as a game. It's mechanically top-heavy and the most interesting stealth sequences in the game are the first two rooms, the complexity of which are never really reached again. Guards detecting you walking through puddles? Not seen after the first room. Guards following footprints in the snow? Not seen after the second. Dodging searchlights? Nowhere after the second room. Instead, the whole second half relies on backtracking and boring treks up and down long stairwells to eat up time. The keycard temperature nonsense is boring and insulting to the player. Love the story, but it's a bad game that only gets worse with age.

MGSV, on the other hand, is a good set of controls with boring, repetitive environments and cookie-cutter missions almost entirely devoid of any flavor or story that defines the MGS series. And what story is there is absolutely terrible. It's almost on the opposite end of the spectrum of MGS1 but still a bad game.

MGS2 is fun mind fuck with great gameplay, and MGS3 is one of the best games of all time. But the series should've stopped there.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Who cares about the Switch? Talk to me about those CES fridges.

Have you ever looked at your fridge and thought "Man. If only I could check out what's on twitter right now. But without looking at my phone"? I might have something for you.

What I really want is an ad for the weirdest shit at CES but in this dumb black&white "Here's how much your life sucked BEFORE you had this!" kinda way.

justjim89

Have you ever looked at your fridge and thought "Man. If only I could check out what's on twitter right now. But without looking at my phone"? I might have something for you.

What I really want is an ad for the weirdest shit at CES but in this dumb black&white "Here's how much your life sucked BEFORE you had this!" kinda way.

So you want like the first half of infomercials where they make it look impossible to live without the dumb thing?

I imagine a shot of a guy with a giant roast beef sandwich trying to open his fridge and check twitter with the two fingers not holding onto his soda, and suddenly it all goes wrong and he loses his sandwich, his phone, and his soda. As he picks up his phone, now dripping with Dr. Pepper, he looks up into the sky and curses his existence.

Suddenly text flashes on the screen. "THERE'S GOT TO BE A BETTER WAY!"

Boom. Twitter fridge.

upgrading-fridge-768x576.jpg

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
So you want like the first half of infomercials where they make it look impossible to live without the dumb thing?

I imagine a shot of a guy with a giant roast beef sandwich trying to open his fridge and check twitter with the two fingers not holding onto his soda, and suddenly it all goes wrong and he loses his sandwich, his phone, and his soda. As he picks up his phone, now dripping with Dr. Pepper, he looks up into the sky and curses his existence.

Suddenly text flashes on the screen. "THERE'S GOT TO BE A BETTER WAY!"

Boom. Twitter fridge.

That would just be the best thing ever. I need this in my life.

Oops, something went wrong! Don't worry, all your food is where you left it!

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I made it part way into the first episode. Like maybe 10 minutes. I don't have time for the Bombcast how can I have time for Waypoint Radio?

justjim89

I think I'm done with Overwatch again. I like how much faster I level up in competitive, but people are such fucking assholes about who you pick or don't. And since I'm not exactly the greatest player in the world, they spend the whole game continuously pointing out how not good I'm doing. Like, fuck off. I like playing as Mei on defense. I like to ice wall the attacker's door as soon as the round starts even if it accomplishes nothing.

Multiplayer games. Not even once.

I definitely get the feeling that Overwatch's community is becoming more toxic as time passes. Dunno if it's a lack of new players or what, but the propensity for petty callouts at the expense of another player are increasing, not to mention fits of rage some people have.

It's a shame. Not sure what can be done to actually improve a community once it takes this kind of turn. Like, I suspect I'll also have to drop Overwatch some day, in spite of only playing QP, and having voice chat disabled; the toxic playes will find a way to drive me from the community through sheer tenacity.

WHAT

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
My premium lapsed. Is there anyway to get a subscription at the sale price right now or the near future? They didn't do the christmas sale I was hoping for =/

sikkinixx

Finally got through the GOTY stuff (having a newborn has totally crippled my podcast listening time)

Jeff assumed the Brad role this year of driving me *insane*. His stumping for Superhot was tedious and his reason, because it was the only one he seemed to give, for Doom being bumped down to number two was so pedantic. He just stuck to his guns and didn't seem to budge.

The daily stuff was fun and I thought pretty well thought out even if I disagreed with a bunch. The GOTY category at the end was a mess imho. Why even have a site Top 10 when really it's just half a dozen "well I'm the only one who REALLY loves this game but it needs to be on there!" with a chorus of "ehhh I guess, I mean it was okay but since you REALLY like it we can put it at the bottom"? I feel like more than ever they spent more time over the five days explaining what was cool to people who hadn't played the games before than in years past. Next year they might as well just have everyone pick their top game and have a top three after that.

Oh well. Still a lot of fun to listen to!

I play Overwatch on console with voice chat off and never go into competitive. It's great. You just wave at the beginning of the round and that's pretty much the extent of communication.

justjim89

I definitely get the feeling that Overwatch's community is becoming more toxic as time passes. Dunno if it's a lack of new players or what, but the propensity for petty callouts at the expense of another player are increasing, not to mention fits of rage some people have.

It's a shame. Not sure what can be done to actually improve a community once it takes this kind of turn. Like, I suspect I'll also have to drop Overwatch some day, in spite of only playing QP, and having voice chat disabled; the toxic playes will find a way to drive me from the community through sheer tenacity.

WHAT

Like, voice chat or text chat can occasionally be useful. Warning of an ambush or someone coming from behind, explaining a plan, but so often it just turns into assholes talking down to people for trying to have fun.

"Uh... dude, where kinda going for a 2-2-2 here. Can you please switch to like soldier or something, even though I have no idea if you enjoy playing as soldier or if you're even good at him?" I politely decline or ignore the request, and then suddenly everything that goes wrong in the game is my fault.

I wish the game had a campaign or something. All the charm and character of the game feels wasted when people completely ruin the atmosphere.

Bacon

Does the general public feel that doom has a good story or was that just a giant bomb thing? I played through that game and barely remember the story at all. I was really surprised to hear how passionate they were about the story as a staff.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

WHAT

It's a Blizzard game mixed with some MOBA elements

The community was DOA.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
because its 45 minutes as opposed to 3 hours

I can't listen to people talk and focus on my work, which is where I would listen if I wanted to. It's less about time and more about ability to focus on the content.

My premium lapsed. Is there anyway to get a subscription at the sale price right now or the near future? They didn't do the christmas sale I was hoping for =/

Mother's day?

robotrock

Banned
I can't listen to people talk and focus on my work, which is where I would listen if I wanted to. It's less about time and more about ability to focus on the content.

Agreed bro. My podcast habbit has now influenced the games that I play. I look for the games where I don't need to focus on the sound, so I can have the sound down to listen to a podcast.
Dan you're asking for trouble man every time

It's a Blizzard game mixed with some MOBA elements

The community was DOA.

There's good people in the community. Like any popular game, it's who you play with and what you make of it

My favorite overwatch youtube channel is Unit Lost- Stylosa. Really has a good perspective on teamwork, not being toxic, while still providing helpful tips to try to get better

Like, voice chat or text chat can occasionally be useful. Warning of an ambush or someone coming from behind, explaining a plan, but so often it just turns into assholes talking down to people for trying to have fun.

"Uh... dude, where kinda going for a 2-2-2 here. Can you please switch to like soldier or something, even though I have no idea if you enjoy playing as soldier or if you're even good at him?" I politely decline or ignore the request, and then suddenly everything that goes wrong in the game is my fault.

I wish the game had a campaign or something. All the charm and character of the game feels wasted when people completely ruin the atmosphere.

Yeah, I can totally see that. I've just never liked voice chat. And further, If I ran into people being toxic in voice chat and ended up muting them, then I'd just sit there wondering why I enabled it to begin with.

But yeah, when losing a lot of people (as in, the toxic players) are looking for an excuse to pass the blame. Someone in the Overwatch thread mentioned that the way Overwatch exclusively highlights positive info exacerbates this, but I figure it'd happen either way. You don't need logic for that kind of stuff; if it wasn't X, it is Y. It's a shame.
Finally got through the GOTY stuff (having a newborn has totally crippled my podcast listening time)

Jeff assumed the Brad role this year of driving me *insane*. His stumping for Superhot was tedious and his reason, because it was the only one he seemed to give, for Doom being bumped down to number two was so pedantic. He just stuck to his guns and didn't seem to budge.

The daily stuff was fun and I thought pretty well thought out even if I disagreed with a bunch. The GOTY category at the end was a mess imho. Why even have a site Top 10 when really it's just half a dozen "well I'm the only one who REALLY loves this game but it needs to be on there!" with a chorus of "ehhh I guess, I mean it was okay but since you REALLY like it we can put it at the bottom"? I feel like more than ever they spent more time over the five days explaining what was cool to people who hadn't played the games before than in years past. Next year they might as well just have everyone pick their top game and have a top three after that.

Oh well. Still a lot of fun to listen to!
GB's top ten has always been about passion. Games that strike a chord with a duder should absolutely be fought tooth-and-nail for, because they are as much a part of GB as anyone else. And yes, even if no one else has played or liked it. Austin's precision strike of passion isn't any different from what the others do, just a lot more concise. (Remember, Jeff got Syndicate onto the top ten through sheer force of will, years prior.) If anything, the petty reasons for dropping these pet games are worse. (e.g. the assassination of Life is Strange at the hands of Jeff "Wikipedia" Gerstmann.)

Like, I get that Dan made a poor argument in favour of Stardew Valley, particularly having not played any previous Harvest Moon games, but the thing that everyone was missing was: it absolutely is the best Harvest Moon in years, it is absolutely not "another one of those" when the franchise and entire gameplay cycle has been circling the drain for over a decade, and it absolutely deserves to be in a top ten thanks to the sheer quality of the game itself, irrespective of what has come before. Like, it is a masterwork that takes the very best ideas from Harvest Moon, and then improves everything with its own unique spin. It isn't a mark against Stardew Valley or Dan that he happens to adore it having not played previous Harvest Moon titles; like, if anything, it should've been higher.

The alternative to "passion" would just be to line up the 4/5 and 5/5 site reviews and hash out a site list from that, which would be... a massive drop in overall top ten quality.

And re: #1, I still hold that mentioning "complete packages" and the site's legacy with Hitman activated Jeff's reviewer brain and got him against Doom. I wasn't expecting it at all either, but their arguments in favour of Hitman actually made a lot of sense.

GotY talk is so fun.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Jeff playing the old games is better content than the content you want.

It's certainly better than more Hitman content.

kuppy

Watching Jeff's home stream from yesterday. I was a bit disappointed to see that he didn't get around to doing some crazy stream layout but then I noticed all the cool new game covers that cycle through now. Jeff has something really good going with his home streams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom