• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #27 | http://cbsinteractive.com/careers

I feel like any other game would get torn to shreds for Zelda's flaws. I can't think of any game with such low weapon durability and sprint time. I go through over half my weapons on a single outpost and Link only sprints for like 3 seconds. Travelling is a chore early on. Even fat CJ could run for longer. Of course I wouldn't dare post this in the OT because criticism isn't allowed.

I feel like any other game would get torn to shreds for Zelda's flaws. I can't think of any game with such low weapon durability and sprint time. I go through over half my weapons on a single outpost and Link only sprints for like 3 seconds. Travelling is a chore early on. Even fat CJ could run for longer. Of course I wouldn't dare post this in the OT because criticism isn't allowed.

LOL

Hindl

Weapons are so plentiful that I never really find a problem with the durability. I'm normally really sensitive to that stuff, but the way they set it up I never get attached to a weapon, so it never bothers me. I'm normally a hoarder in games but this broke that habit. And once you get the paraglider and a horse travelling becomes pretty enjoyable imo. I agree with what you're saying, and but I like their implementation. I can understand why someone wouldn't like it though

I dont really like the durability stuff but it would have made it so much better if the next weapon would auto equip when one breaks. They break way too frequently and I'm already sick of having to scroll through that quick menu to pick a new one when I'm in the middle of a fight.

I almost take umbrage with Jeff B admitting his like of ketchup chips as being a weird guilty pleasure flavour. It's like one of the most natural flavours for a chip.

Zaph

8uPoRxW.png

jeff pls, old game stream. try every cart

I love the idea of the analogue nt mini, but I sold my nes collection in 2002 and the second hand market is so hyper inflated now it's crazy.

As someone who has never played a Zelda game, and who is going to have some free time coming up, what Zelda game should I play?

Should I just play NES Zelda and go from there?

I have LBTW on 2DS but never played it.

Megasoum

Banned
Man.... Zelda sure is something special...

I just climbed all the way to the top of a random mountain, got a seed at the top and was able to spot a bunch of towers and shrines.

Best feeling of exploration I've seen so far for sure.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
As someone who has never played a Zelda game, and who is going to have some free time coming up, what Zelda game should I play?

Should I just play NES Zelda and go from there?

I have LBTW on 2DS but never played it.

Play the first two Zelda games if you want two experiences that won't be replicated again in the series. Play Link to the Past if you want to see the formula that would be used for the following two and a half decades for the rest of the games.

I don't have a copy yet, but if properly done I don't think weapon degrading is that bad. Weapons went down pretty fast in Dying Light and I loved the feel it ended up giving to the game.

Yakuza might have soundtrack of the year.

Yakuza has everything of the year.

I don't have a copy yet, but if properly done I don't think weapon degrading is that bad. Weapons went down pretty fast in Dying Light and I loved the feel it ended up giving to the game.

Even in Dying Light it wasn't this bad plus you could repair and upgrade on the spot. Another issue with weapons being so disposable is that chests become far less exciting. Even getting a chest of rupees in past games was more exciting than finding a hidden chest here and it's just another crappy sword that breaks in 10 hits.

Stamina doesn't bother me because you can make elixirs and food to extend stamina and movement speed. Item durability, now that I'm further in the game it can get annoying. I get why rusted broadswords and clubs are fragile, but even special-ish weapons break easily. Maybe there's a way to repair them later. And with no XP (which is nice since there's not much grinding), your reward for fighting bokoblins and fodder enemies are low value monster parts or a weak weapon. So I find myself ignoring them when I see them lurking to keep my decent weapons. Don't know why your bows have durability either.

Loving most of the rest of the game. Durability is just my chief beef with it.

Hindl

Holy fucking shit. In Zelda, the thing that happens at night at Lake
Hylia
and
Floria
, the
electro dragon.
There are a couple different quests and crafting items that need
scales from the dragon
, but there's no hint on how to interact with this thing. So, on a whim, it was passing by close to me, and I
took out my bow and shot it. A light appeared where I shot it, and suddenly shot off the dragon into the ground. In order to get scales from this electro dragon you have to shoot it with a bow.
This game is so fucking cool

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Favourite Dave Snider content that isn't flight club? Feel like revisiting some older stuff, miss that dude.

He was on the Random PC Games which also serve as FMVinny videos. Blade Runner, Burn Cycle, Wing Commander, Phantasmagoria were all great. He did couple of long Dwarf Fortress streams too.

For non premium stuff I think he was in the original Demons Souls quicklook where he kept getting intrigued and Jeff kept telling him he was wrong, that one was fun to watch after Dark Souls took off. And he was in most of the bad Wii TV game show quick looks.

Mr. F

Banned
He was on the Random PC Games which also serve as FMVinny videos. Blade Runner, Burn Cycle, Wing Commander, Phantasmagoria were all great. He did couple of long Dwarf Fortress streams too.

For non premium stuff I think he was in the original Demons Souls quicklook where he kept getting intrigued and Jeff kept telling him he was wrong, that one was fun to watch after Dark Souls took off. And he was in most of the bad Wii TV game show quick looks.

I thought the Random PC Game of SWAT with the FMV was funny.

I've watched all the Random PC Games a bunch but it's been a little while since seeing some of the older ones (I go back to Bladerunner and Burn: Cycle a lot). Guess it's time to start over!

Its a shame Dave never really came back to GB for videos like he claimed he would. I always liked him on stuff. Probably harder now anyway though, he's back working a normal job isn't he?

Top Bottom