• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #27 | http://cbsinteractive.com/careers

Vinny is love. Vinny is life.

hQDI6lK.gif

Now I'm wondering how a pineapple and ham pizza with milk tastes like.

So adorable. Good stuff.

Curufinwe

I feel like any other game would get torn to shreds for Zelda's flaws. I can't think of any game with such low weapon durability and sprint time. I go through over half my weapons on a single outpost and Link only sprints for like 3 seconds. Travelling is a chore early on. Even fat CJ could run for longer. Of course I wouldn't dare post this in the OT because criticism isn't allowed.

The durability issue seems like it would be a real drag coming from Nioh and Bloddborne.

Dineren

Banned
It can get pretty bad docked, especially in areas with lots of trees, but the rest of the game is so good that I can't bring myself to care.

They really should release a 720p performance patch for the Switch docked mode sooner than later. BotW is not as choppy as Dragon's Dogma on consoles, which I couldn't fully enjoy til PC, but performance chugging is far too frequent. One encounter in a forest got so choppy and unresponsive I had to run out of there.

For what it's worth, the frame rate problems shouldn't prevent one from playing the game.

ferunnico

Neo Member
I just caught up on Film & 40s. I hadn't seen any movie in the Fast & Furious series before and actually enjoyed the first one a lot more than I thought I would. But Alex sure wasn't kidding when he said 2 Fast 2 Furious was bad. Their commentary was still entertaining, though. I love how much Vinny hated the movie.
This is just a great premium series. I'm really looking forward to the next episode, especially since I seem to remember Jeff mentioning Tokyo Drift a couple of times on the Bombcast. I can't remember the context but it always seemed like he liked that movie a lot.

(By the way, I'm not a native English speaker and I just spent way too long trying to figure out if my first sentence was correct. What's the difference between "I caught up on" and "I caught up with"? After a bit of googling it seems to me they are used interchangeably.)

ferunnico

Neo Member
My only option for Zelda is Wii U, heard it worse than switch

Hope to hear Vinny or Brads impressions

In the Digital Foundry video they said that both versions have similar frame drops, just in different areas for some reason. The only big difference seems to be the resolution (900p on Switch and 720p on Wii U).

Wii U BotW is fine. Framerate can get rough, but from what I gather the Switch version is similar. Plays great and is a lot of fun.

The weirdest thing is how little the gamepad is used. It's for precision motion control (and works quite well!) or off-screen play, nothing else. I'd like to have some info down there at a glance; however, it's probably best that everything is onscreen at all times. e.g. Pressing the home button and then immediately returning to the game causes a decent loadtime, so I imagine BotW is pushing the Wii U to its limits.

Wunder

I just caught up on Film & 40s. I hadn't seen any movie in the Fast & Furious series before and actually enjoyed the first one a lot more than I thought I would. But Alex sure wasn't kidding when he said 2 Fast 2 Furious was bad. Their commentary was still entertaining, though. I love how much Vinny hated the movie.
This is just a great premium series. I'm really looking forward to the next episode, especially since I seem to remember Jeff mentioning Tokyo Drift a couple of times on the Bombcast. I can't remember the context but it always seemed like he liked that movie a lot.

(By the way, I'm not a native English speaker and I just spent way too long trying to figure out if my first sentence was correct. What's the difference between "I caught up on" and "I caught up with"? After a bit of googling it seems to me they are used interchangeably.)

Yeah. I was poopooing Film & 40s before but after sitting down and actually watching it it was much more entertaining than I thought, can't wait for the rest of the series.

re: grammar, i'm not 100% but "caught up with" would be used when talking about a person. I don't really know the rules for inanimate subjects though, probably fine to use either.

I'll be interested to see what Dan and Vinny end up thinking about Tokyo Drift. Its certainly my favourite Fast & Furious movie but a lot of that is from how dumb it is.

Weapon durability isn't a flaw in Zelda, it's the whole gameplay loop. It encourages you to use a wider variety of weapons, and the vast majority of the rewards for exploration are either weapons or collectibles for exanding your inventory,

ferunnico

Neo Member
I have made my peace with the idea of not playing Zelda for a while, since I still have Horizon and a ton of other games. I will probably pick up a Switch later this year during a holiday deal or as a bundle. Maybe by then they will also have announced more games. And maybe Zelda will get a performance patch in the meantime (probably not).

Mr. F

Banned
Any word on what makes the pro controller so pricey? I can't imagine HD rumble and NFC are that expensive, although given the JoyCon who knows

Ein Bear

Durability in Zelda is... fine, but I don't really think it adds anything to the game. Weapons all seem much of a muchness really, I never feel like I need to save a certain sword for a special occasion or anything. You break your weapon killing an enemy, pick up theirs, break that killing the next enemy, pick up theirs... etc.

It's an odd mechanic in general. It doesn't particularly bother me, but if it wasn't in the game I don't think anything would fundamentally change in how I play it.

TraBuch

Banned
Dave and Vinny were pretty much the only good parts of the Pathfinder streams, so there's that if you wanna see some Dave.

faridmon

Just finished watched the newest Mail-bag

Oh man, those Pogs are freaking well detailed and amazingly well made.

How do people do that?

GB fans never cease to amaze me

Top Bottom