• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #27 | http://cbsinteractive.com/careers

daveo42

Banned
my issue isn't the HUD so much as how it crowds the screen combined with the field of view. I wish it was pulled back a little further. I know a lock on wouldn't work well with Horizon and it's fine most of the time as I fight at range. But when enemies get real close, or even worse dealing with those flying fucks, the camera can become a problem.

and then there's Stormbird who is THE Flying Fuck. An enemy that can quite easily one shot you on hard mode who likes to hover directly above you while spamming AOE lightning balls.

I mean I play Monster Hunter I'm fine with manual cameras and enemies that attack from off screen. But flying enemies in Horizon can be worse than fighting a Nargacuga on the PSP. Thank god for the Ropecaster.

Yeah, flying creatures have been a bit tough to deal with. I think my big issue is judging distances and utility. Ropecaster seems like a good deal and I should use it more, but I just love using the tearcaster and knocking them out of the sky. I can see why the ropecaster would work well in stunning the Stormhawks tho. I really suck at hitting their flame canisters on their back.

Speaking of, my big issue with what I think is the second part of the game is that the primary waypoint for the story beat is so far away that I'm wandering around trying to see everything and instead am ending up in end-game areas. At least it gates you from entering them outright, but still. I wish the next town wasn't halfway across the map. Oddly enough, I've actually had the game soft kill me several times for going out of bounds on the map instead of putting up hard barriers or invisible walls. Literally climbed up the side of a mountain, hit a loading screen, then lost several minutes of climbing and gathering.

Mupod

Speaking of, my big issue with what I think is the second part of the game is that the primary waypoint for the story beat is so far away that I'm wandering around trying to see everything and instead am ending up in end-game areas. At least it gates you from entering them outright, but still. I wish the next town wasn't halfway across the map. Oddly enough, I've actually had the game soft kill me several times for going out of bounds on the map instead of putting up hard barriers or invisible walls. Literally climbed up the side of a mountain, hit a loading screen, then lost several minutes of climbing and gathering.

Sounds like my first Cauldron. There were quite a few areas in there that just looked like you could jump or walk to them, but they were death zones. Like, I literally walked down a corridor and Aloy fell over dead. I haven't heard of anyone else complaining about this so maybe I'm just bad at following the devs' intentions. In the second cauldron I just followed the waypoint as carefully as I could and it was mostly fine.

When games just straight up kill you for exploring I call that the Independent Thought Alarm. Outside of the beginner area and Cauldrons I haven't been hit by it, but I've been more focused on doing hunter challenges and farming Thunderjaws than skyrimming over mountains.

pizzacat

Banned
Horses have been useless

I named mine dat boi and left him somewhere in a mountain

I only use the whistle to inform enemies that I'm somewhere and bomb them all

There was a camp yesterday next to a tower with 2 fire demons and bunch of pig guys. Had to single everyone out using the whistle

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yeah climbing is so much fun i dint really find the need for horses.

It does the just cause 2 thing where your traversal skills are so much fun you don't want to use vehicles.

I can't wait until the see the cliff hanger at the end of this run of Majima. It was so damn good. The entire reveal and escalation from the massage clinic onwards is still my highlight in a game full of great moments.

Meneses

I can't wait until the see the cliff hanger at the end of this run of Majima. It was so damn good. The entire reveal and escalation from the massage clinic onwards is still my highlight in a game full of great moments.

Complete with a dose of frustration about that
stealth sequence
at the end that goes just a bit too long.

Wunder

I'm glad Dan is into Slugger as much as I was. Easily the best style for Majima and straight up broken for like 80% of the fights. square square square triangle all day baby

ev0

I'm glad Dan is into Slugger as much as I was. Easily the best style for Majima and straight up broken for like 80% of the fights. square square square triangle all day baby

Yup, that move is so OP I had to stop doing it as fights just became trivial

Mupod

the nunchuck move is insane damage but square square triangle is what I used the most. Knocks a huge group down and gives you TONS of heat. But yeah Slugger is what I used 99% of the time for Majima. The other 1% was the fourth style for its incredible heat action whenever I had 3 bars and was surrounded. Sadly unless Dan has a secret obsession with Cabaret management there's no way he'll be getting that in this playthrough.

Xater

I used that style for bosses only. That combo locked them into constant damage. The breakdance style is the best for crowds. Hits si many people at the same time and you are basically invincible.

Wunder

I used that style for bosses only. That combo locked them into constant damage. The breakdance style is the best for crowds. Hits si many people at the same time and you are basically invincible.

Thats what I heard but I could never get into it. I mean it was fucking awesome spinning around but it kinda sucked on certain missions. Slugger just gets insane late game once you get the upgrade that makes it so your moves dont get stopped by walls. 4xSquare + Triangle is just a monster.

the nunchuck move is insane damage but square square triangle is what I used the most. Knocks a huge group down and gives you TONS of heat. But yeah Slugger is what I used 99% of the time for Majima. The other 1% was the fourth style for its incredible heat action whenever I had 3 bars and was surrounded. Sadly unless Dan has a secret obsession with Cabaret management there's no way he'll be getting that in this playthrough.

Yeah I always wanted to charge it to the max so I always got hit out of it. It's fun to use 1 on 1 though.

After the first day of playing Zelda, I was about to proclaim it as a huge disappointment. The weapon system made me want to never fight and the lack of the old slow progression of abilities made me want to stop playing. I'm glad I didn't. Zelda is really really good you guys. Really good.

After the first day of playing Zelda, I was about to proclaim it as a huge disappointment. The weapon system made me want to never fight and the lack of the old slow progression of abilities made me want to stop playing. I'm glad I didn't. Zelda is really really good you guys. Really good.

It really is. I totally understand those initial complaints though, and I think they're valid and will put some people off. But once I kind of accepted those systems for what they were, I've found I quite like them! You just can't get too attached to weapons, or horde them. Just use 'em, break 'em, and find more. It's liberating!

Hindl

Yeah it starts out slow, but once you're totally free the game totally opens up. And once you start exploring away from the center, you start finding weapons that last longer and are more powerful

It really is. I totally understand those initial complaints though, and I think they're valid and will put some people off. But once I kind of accepted those systems for what they were, I've found I quite like them! You just can't get too attached to weapons, or horde them. Just use 'em, break 'em, and find more. It's liberating!

Yeah I've adjusted to not really giving a shit about the weapons and using them whenever. The one time I hesitate to use them since I don't wanna lose them are the
elemental weapons
you get from solving the shrines related to the three
dragons

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Zelda is a good game.
I wanted to jump off a bridge and an nearby NPC stopped me and tried to talk me out of it. This is so Nintendo. This is Nintendo at it's most Nintendo.

Zelda is a good game.
I wanted to jump off a bridge and an nearby NPC stopped me and tried to talk me out of it. This is so Nintendo. This is Nintendo at it's most Nintendo.

Waypoint seems to be a little loose with their spoiler retweeting. I'm pretty sure on of them just retweeted this exact exchange earlier today.

Top Bottom