• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #27 | http://cbsinteractive.com/careers

oti

Banned
It's not new but whatever. For me it's 3 things.

1. Losing Drew and Dan from the West without another person coming in.
2. I have 0 interest in VR/PC parts
3. He's on too often.

Will talking about Zelda was fun tho.

I loved hearing his daughter is so much into the game. Sounds like a great game to play with a kid.

And yes, VR talk is always ZZzzzzzZzzz.

sirap

Jeff's issues with Zelda resonates with mine. Amazing game with a few problems keeping me from truly calling it the GOAT.

Imagine if they manage to top Zelda with Mario. Lawd have mercy, I don't think I'm ready for that.

faridmon

Listening to the Bombcast, it feels like Jeff is literally offended by how Ghost Recon is telling its ''story'' and hence hate the game mainly because of the dialogue and characters. Maybe the game was told that way just to poke fun at these militarised personnel go about their job in South America?

I mean they do the most fucked up things and we don't need another Military game that just hard for us to sympathise with those murder machines.

Good BotW talk except when Brad kept trying to minimize Jeff's issues about the inventory stuff.

I side with Brad on this, Zelda do have problems, but inventory is not one of them

I realised who much I disagree with Jeff on Zelda, the thing he likes about the game is what I don't like about the game and vice versa. Do not like the combat at all and the enemy killing you in 1 shot is not fun at all, but love traveling and stumble across stupid shit. Love how I have to strategise my stamina in order to climb on things.

ArjanN

Yeah,i think he's a great guest

He is. I think his more reasonable, grown up point of view is a pretty good contrast to the other guys. His role on the podcast just tends to be more of the straight man

Listening to the Bombcast, it feels like Jeff is literally offended by how Ghost Recon is telling its ''story'' and hence hate the game mainly because of the dialogue and characters. Maybe the game was told that way just to poke fun at these militarised personnel go about their job in South America?

I mean they do the most fucked up things and we don't need another Military game that just hard for us to sympathise with those murder machines.

Granted I haven't seen a ton of that game but I didn't get the impression that stuff was meant to be satirical.

Meneses

Just got off the Plateau and started exploring a bit in Zelda, got to a village with a temple and had to stop playing before I threw my switch at the wall due to a motion control puzzle.

When does the game get good?

just kidding, kinda. I'm enjoying it but haven't been amazed by anything so far. I know it's still early. So far, the open world and the mechanics have been more annoying than anything else.

faridmon

Just got off the Plateau and started exploring a bit in Zelda, got to a village with a temple and had to stop playing before I threw my switch at the wall due to a motion control puzzle.

When does the game get good?

just kidding, kinda. I'm enjoying it but haven't been amazed by anything so far. I know it's still early. So far, the open world and the mechanics have been more annoying than anything else.

What motion Control Puzzle?

The first few shrines I did after the Great plateau were all simple and did not require any motion control whatsoever.

Didn't like the shrine where you had to build iced platform though. That sucked

Granted I haven't seen a ton of that game but I didn't get the impression that stuff was meant to be satirical.

It doesn't have to be satirical. Maybe these ''ghosts'' are proper pricks in real life too?

Meneses

What motion Control Puzzle?

The first few shrines I did after the Great plateau were all simple and did not require any motion control whatsoever.

Didn't like the shrine where you had to build iced platform though. That sucked

It's in one of the villages, one where you have
a floating maze and have to guide a ball through it and make it jump to a platform

I did one with ice blocks before that, I actually enjoyed it.

faridmon

It's in one of the villages, one where you have
a floating maze and have to guide a ball through it and make it jump to a platform

I did one with ice blocks before that, I actually enjoyed it.

I heard there is s shortcut for that puzzle which makes it a lot more easier.

The problem I am having with the game is controlling link. That puzzle required you to do so much which was really difficult for me. I really can't get used to the controls of the game at all.

Xater

They do have the + - thing to show you which side to slide it in. Didn't have any trouble recognising that but I'm a graphic designer by trade so I'm more in tune to such things.

Let's be honest for lots of people that was never going to be good enough. It should just not be physically possible to attach those things the wrong way.

sirap

I side with Brad on this, Zelda do have problems, but inventory is not one of them

I realised who much I disagree with Jeff on Zelda, the thing he likes about the game is what I don't like about the game and vice versa. Do not like the combat at all and the enemy killing you in 1 shot is not fun at all, but love traveling and stumble across stupid shit. Love how I have to strategise my stamina in order to climb on things.

You should take the same approach to combat as you do with exploration. Imagine yourself as Batman with ample prep time. Food buffs will go a long way to making combat manageable. Set up traps, make use of stealth and the environments themselves (higher ground is important)

I've not listened to Bombcast yet, but the speed in which your inventory fills up is really annoying. It's a big issue.

Probably the second biggest issue after your weapons breaking after 10 seconds.

:O

Didn't know that worked! I liked the puzzle. Was really surprised at that moment. Controls weren't too hot though.

Man, whenever I go "can I do this" the answer is always yes in this game.

That's the main thing I love about the game. There are always the "intended" solutions but it doesn't matter how you solve anything as long as you get the right result in the end because of how the physics and abilities can fuel creativity.

I've seen other crazy solutions to that specific puzzle too like:
- turning the maze 90 degrees so the ball just falls into the ending
- using the underside of the maze as a paddle to knock it flying over
- using stasis on the ball, exiting the motion controls, and knocking the ball over with Link

Jintor

re zelda inventory, they're both right but I think probably jeff is more right.

brad's right in that the inventory is snappy and fast and not that much of an issue to navigate, but jeff is right that some of the menu design really is leftover from them pulling wii u elements out (though not all... some of i think is just bad design). not being able to drop stuff from the quick menu sucks, the food menu blows, etc.

Bacon

When someone figures out the "weird trick" to the shrine where you have to use motion controls to spin around that object with torches on it let me know because that's the most frustrated I've gotten with the game so far.

When someone figures out the "weird trick" to the shrine where you have to use motion controls to spin around that object with torches on it let me know because that's the most frustrated I've gotten with the game so far.

Isn't that the one where you can just light the torches with fire arrows and not need to touch the motion controls at all?

Peru

Weapon durability I think is actually one of the key genius design decisions for BOTW. The only issue is that you have to go into the menu and drop another weapon at times. But fundamentally it keeps you experimenting in battle situations and attacking, say, a camp of enemies in different ways. If it lead to grinding for weapons it would be bad, but I've never ever gone looking for weapons. Instead I'm freewheeling between different weapons, bombs, physics, making use of the environment, etc.

I'm having a frequent issue of falling through rocks on the edge of water in Horizon. I've gotten stuck in the water quite a few times with the jump not really helping me get out. It got me out of some trouble with Watchers a time or two so not all bad.

demidar

Weapon durability I think is actually one of the key genius design decisions for BOTW. The only issue is that you have to go into the menu and drop another weapon at times. But fundamentally it keeps you experimenting in battle situations and attacking, say, a camp of enemies in different ways. If it lead to grinding for weapons it would be bad, but I've never ever gone looking for weapons. Instead I'm freewheeling between different weapons, bombs, physics, making use of the environment, etc.

Design decisions that constantly nudge you out of a comfortable set up means that boredom through rote-ness has less of a chance to set in.

In reality it's pretty tough to balance, but the idea is sound.

sirap

Design decisions that constantly nudge you out of a comfortable set up means that boredom through rote-ness has less of a chance to set in.

Yeah, props to Nintendo though for coming the closest to getting weapon durability balanced right. I still dislike it, but they made it work to the best of their abilities.

Equip using the quick menu and throw. Faster than dropping in the reg menu.

I'm at the point where I have a ton of inventory spaces for swords and all of them are amazing weapons. I think the game does some smart scaling behind the scenes regarding enemy difficulty and weapon drops.

e: to others regarding inventory filing up, you def get your fair share of space as you progress. I think the key is just realizing how quickly this game moves and to stop caring so much about the weapons you have. Like I said, just equip from quick menu and throw your lowest powered weapon (throwing does double damage too btw) when you want to grab something new. The whole game has this sorta hectic and fleeting vibe to it so the durability system works for it

The idea is good.

I don't want to use a weapon for 3 hours. I want to use them for more than 3 minutes. They didn't get the balance right, at all.

hamchan

I'm glad they got the balance completely right.

Very fun to just use up and throw all these trash weapons around and immediately pick up new ones. Of course, I wouldn't want the Master Sword to break but fucking Boko clubs or whatever are fine.

Mupod

I wish the weapon switching was more fluid. I'm sure this will get less annoying once I have weapons that aren't boko clubs that break in 4 hits but having to fumble around in a shortcut menu every 20 seconds is obnoxious. It doesn't help that I just came off of Horizon, It would help if I could rebind Zelda's controls to be more similar because I keep hitting the wrong buttons.

Nintendo absolutely nailed the durability system. I normally hate systems like that in games (and encumbrance/limited inventory because I'm a pack rat) but it's integral to the design of the game. Like others have said, it keeps you from getting too comfortable with a specific weapon, which is a great thing because it keeps combat interesting. You get so many weapons that you really don't need to micro manage it that much. If you want to get rid of a weapon, just throw it, takes one second.

Meguro

Banned
Funny you say that. Jeff liking Horizon kinda pushed me away from buying the game.
His tastes just don't line up with mine very much.
I disagree with him on Zelda as well.

Also I'm swimming in weapons in Zelda and that's with an upgraded inventory.
At some point you find so many good weapons from Shrines etc. that them breaking becomes a non-issue.

How do you guys watch Film and Forty's?

I use XBMC to watch all my media and haven't thought of a good way to play the GB audio at the same time.

Meguro

Banned
You still seem like you're playing a living god in Mordor which will probably make the whole army building wholly unneccessary :/.

Mordor 1 was so laughably easy that I never got to use the Nemesis system at all.
Hope they properly balance it this time because I could totally see myself liking the game then.

Top Bottom