• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #27 | http://cbsinteractive.com/careers

Lunar FC

How much harder does snips get? Because I was playing it with my mother when I went over to get my switch. But idk how much more challenge she can handle though.

I think I would get excited if it were actually LOTR related.

Agreed.

Middle-Earth has such amazing locales. I don't know why they're not using them. Hell, I can't understand why the game doesn't take place during the War of the Ring. I mean, hell, it took Frodo 18 years to get to Mordor.

There's a lot of free space during those years to have the same kind of game, but with a lot more variety.

Agreed.

Middle-Earth has such amazing locales. I don't know why they're not using them. Hell, I can't understand why the game doesn't take place during the War of the Ring. I mean, hell, it took Frodo 18 years to get to Mordor.

There's a lot of free space during those years to have the same kind of game, but with a lot more variety.

It might be that they can't use some parts of the book or movies? They NEVER say Lord of the Rings and I remember things like Wargs had a different name. I wonder if they can only use non-movie stuff (excluding Gollum).

Catvoca

Banned
It might be that they can't use some parts of the book or movies? They NEVER say Lord of the Rings and I remember things like Wargs had a different name. I wonder if they can only use non-movie stuff (excluding Gollum).

That might be true. Remember that weird hobbit game that came out after the movies that wasn't allowed to use anything from them? It could be like that.

I found it amusing when Rorie was talking about how tolerant the license holders are considering how much the Tolkien Estate surely hates what is being done in these games.

Warner has the rights to use the Middle-earth characters in video games, though. Even if they couldn't use movie stuff, the characters and events existed way before the films. They used them fairly recently in the LEGO games and mobile games.

Eh. I'm sure they have their reasons.

I found it amusing when Rorie was talking about how tolerant the license holders are considering how much the Tolkien Estate surely hates what is being done in these games.

The Tolkien Estate seems like they hate everything.

I'm confident Brad can get Zelda to #1 over Jeff's wishes. Jeff has gotten soft in married life. I say this as not yet having played Zelda yet and without listening to any Zelda conversations.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Listening to the bombcast, yeah people who thought jeff 'came around' on Zelda are wrong. I doubt he'll even still be playing it in a week.

As someone who has played neither Horizon nor Zelda, I find Zelda to be a much more impressive and attractive game.

I intend to play both, so we'll see how that thought holds up.

Listening to the bombcast, yeah people who thought jeff 'came around' on Zelda are wrong. I doubt he'll even still be playing it in a week.

Even before either game were out, it was easy to call that Jeff would prefer Horizon. It's more focused and hand-holdy than Zelda, and that's Jeff's jam.

Sulik2

So I'm still in the discussion about Zelda, but this is absolutely a preview of the game of the year podcast where Jeff doesn't want Zelda and brad does. The way brad is defending all criticism of it sounds exactly like those conversations they have every year.

I dunno, Destiny 2 still releases this year. If Brad has a Destiny game that is actually good I think that could end up being Brad's horse in this year's GOTY. Its far Too early to say for sure and there could still be a surprise game like Hitman that pops up in the next year.

Red UFO

a decade since the last gbeast playdate
T0xlAQI.gif

Hindl

He literally ends the segment saying it's a really impressive game. Yeah, for whatever reason he isn't seeing a lot of the encounters on the road, and has his entirely correct criticisms, but he's liking it. He likes Horizon more, which isn't too surprising, but he still recognizes Zelda for what it is.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
You dont ignore the horse because Links climbing and traveling is so good. You ignore it because the horse doesnt fast travel with you for whatever stupid reason
He literally ends the segment saying it's a really impressive game. Yeah, for whatever reason he isn't seeing a lot of the encounters on the road, and has his entirely correct criticisms, but he's liking it. He likes Horizon more, which isn't too surprising, but he still recognizes Zelda for what it is.

He thinks its cool that it exists.
Which is what he's said about several games that he doesn't like. 'It's cool that Nintendo made this' is like the most Jeff backhanded 'i'm not liking it' trope. Come GOTY time when its heated, he will be saying a lot more 'fucking inventory system and fucking durability' especially when Zelda fans get mad at him for not recognizing it as GOTG

killroy87

I didn't realise Ghost Recon: Wildlands was out.

QL when?

Sure do wish they would do a East/West four player co-op Quick Look of Wildlands. I know Jeff is pretty low on the game, but it could make for decent content if they at least try to show it off in its best light.

I think what's impressed me about BotW is how much freedom I have in choosing what I want or do not want to engage in.

I don't like combat (in any Zelda), so I just run past everything, and I don't feel punished by it because there's no XP.
If you don't like puzzles, then skip the Shrines.
If you don't like wandering around aimlessly, turn on the quest waypoint and go straight there.

It's probably the most "open" open world game I've ever played.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I think what's impressed me about BotW is how much freedom I have in choosing what I want or do not want to engage in.

I don't like combat (in any Zelda), so I just run past everything, and I don't feel punished by it because there's no XP.
If you don't like puzzles, then skip the Shrines.
If you don't like wandering around aimlessly, turn on the quest waypoint and go straight there.

It's probably the most "open" open world game I've ever played.

I mean, if you like the combat but dont like the puzzles, you still kind of have to do the shrines. You can't earn more heart pieces any othr way.

Zekes!

Listening to the Bombcast now and I'm not at all surprised by Jeff's complaints about Zelda. And a lot of his complaints, like the cooking and item management aspect of the game, I really enjoy. I still have only 3 hearts and feel delicate as hell, even though I have some better armour and weapons. I really dig the idea of having to prepare myself to explore new areas of world, and there's a risk/reward thing at play with having a limited supply of weapons that all have limited durability. I find myself weighing the pros and cons of a lot of my combat engagements, in a way that's fun.

But I understand why Jeff doesn't like it, because he's never seemed to liked systems like that. I'm also no surprised to hear he thinks the overworld is boring and empty. He never struck me as the type of person who likes exploring for the sake of exploring.

I think Austin's and Jeff's opinions on the game contrast in a real interesting way.

Sakwoff

Giant Bomb #28 | Put your butt in my head and make a bowl
Giant Bomb #28 | Put your lip in my butt and I'll cut it off
Giant Bomb #28 | Just shove it in

And y'all telling me Waypoint is horny.

That said, Snipperclips looks fucking delightful.

Hjod

Banned
Sure do wish they would do a East/West four player co-op Quick Look of Wildlands. I know Jeff is pretty low on the game, but it could make for decent content if they at least try to show it off in its best light.

When he said the whole "Baby makes three" stuff on the Bombcast I almost died, that can't be real.

I mean, if you like the combat but dont like the puzzles, you still kind of have to do the shrines. You can't earn more heart pieces any othr way.

Sure. I mean I was being pretty hyperbolic. Obviously if you buy a Zelda game there's a certain expectation of puzzle-solving. But at least in this one you can just do the main dungeons and be ok with the hearts they give you, and then master the combat and dodge everything. The fact that you even have that choice is impressive to me.

killroy87

What are the bets on how long Beast in the East goes on before it dies? Cuz I simply refuse to believe they'll play through every game in that series.

I say they finish this, and we never see it again.

Mr. F

Banned
What are the bets on how long Beast in the East goes on before it dies? Cuz I simply refuse to believe they'll play through every game in that series.

I think they'll probably rotate another series in as a palette cleanser and yeah probably drop it in the long term. I'm enjoying it a lot but I'd be totally fine with them hopping to another feature after it wraps - I think the hype and rallying around 0 is what's made it fun to watch in part.

MG310

I'm fine with just Yakuza 0 given how long this is probably going to take if they finish the game.

Have they said anything about Shenmue 2 yet?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Like I never liked the alchemy stuff in Witcher either. I just don't like those kinds of gameplay systems. I have to worry enough about having the right mats and pots in WoW and that feels like work.

The only time I found it kind of fun in Zelda was the cold weather stuff.

Top Bottom