• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #27 | http://cbsinteractive.com/careers

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Autgi2r.gif

The expressions on their faces are just perfect.

Xyrmellon

I remember the Ryan thing and didn't see it live, I can remember trying to figure out what happened.

I was there, though, when Mr. Shoemaker made a very poor joke about one Vincent Caravella and his then infant son. That was just weird.

This is putting into words exactly how i'm feeling about this better than I ever could have.

Also looking at those replies, looks like KF is gathering quite the community of folks over there.

To be fair, the people in the replies represent a distressingly large portion of 'gamers' as a whole, not just KF fans. (Though it'd clearly be best if the community didn't really make those types feel welcome.)

ryseing

He voted for Gary Johnson. I think you're thinking of when he said he thought Clinton was more suited to be a president than Trump, but he hated both candidates. Today on a GDC video interview he did with Mike Bithell (Thomas Was Alone, Volume), he said he voted for John Kasich in the Primaries and would've voted for him in the General Election. Bithell said Kasich was well regarding in England compared to the other candidates.

Basically because Kasich wasn't completely crazy and Ohio's economy had done relatively well under him. His record on social issues was iffy at best.

I remember the Ryan thing and didn't see it live, I can remember trying to figure out what happened.

I was there, though, when Mr. Shoemaker made a very poor joke about one Vincent Caravella and his then infant son. That was just weird.

That was a case of speaking before thinking. It's the opposite of Drew, where you could always sense when a joke was percolating in his brain before deciding to say it.

RBH

What was the joke?

I love the McElroys possibly more than anything, but I kinda agree that Griffin and Justin wouldn't really fit in from a daily standpoint on Giant Bomb content. Great guests, but I don't think their deal would be a great fit for the site.

Nick, however, would be awesome.

Also, I got a reeaaaaallll fuckin bone to pick with Horizon: Zero Dawn. I've been taking it in bite size pieces, and I finally found my first Tallneck. When I found out that they were just "Climb to reveal the map!" mechanics, I was PISSED. Maybe I'm just not far enough yet, but I don't understand the endless praise for this game. It's good, yeah, but I don't see what makes it a 9. Seems very run of the mill for an open world game in this day and age.

BearPawB

Banned
I love Greg but can't support him because of Colin. Colin is a weight around Gregs neck.

And the McElroys are great. But they are more likely to start their own shit than want to join GB.

Nick making his return as a full grown man would be great though.

It's clearly going to be someone we have never considered and that's ok!

kai3345

Banned
yeah, definitely hoping they bring in some new blood instead of just the same personalities we've seen on other sites. austin was such a breath of fresh air

TraBuch

Banned
I honestly don't get why people found Brad's joke about Vinny and his kid awkward. People made that out to be weirder than it was.

Xyrmellon

I'm not going to dig it up, I think they were playing Volgarr the Viking-- Vinny said something, then Brad blurted out something inferring relations between father and son. You could almost hear him trail off cause he knew he fucked up. It was only offensive to Vinny and Brad immediately apologized profusely, but for a second it was like wtf?

Edit: Posted above.

And shit, yeah that was funny.

yeah, definitely hoping they bring in some new blood instead of just the same personalities we've seen on other sites. austin was such a breath of fresh air

Austin had been around for a while. Just not in the circles GB and its audience where.

But Vinny already mentioned the new east coast hire is a Jr position with the goal of hiring someone with little experience and being their break. Thats cool.

West coast will probably be the typical industry hires though. Probably the only people who can afford to work in San Fran anyway.

I keep getting my ass beat in Zelda. Also, it's really weird how the Wii U version will chug in random towns that (seem to) have less going on in them than random places out in the world.

Everyone knows the Animorphs can only remain transformed for two hours, lest they be stuck as an animal forever, so that seems very unlikely.

edit: beaten

Can't said Animorph just turn into a pregnant animal from the get go?

Tagyhag

Wow Brad is the one loving Zelda and Jeff the one liking it but having 200 small issues being way overblown

"I wish it had an experience system"

Dear god no.

Not gonna lie, I think that's the one thing that makes me not want to play Zelda games, even this one.

I understand why Zelda fans would hate that, but watching GB play Zelda, and then seeing just how easily weapons break agreeing with Jeff's cycle.

Fight -> Weapons break -> Grab weapons -> Repeat.

Why fight at all in the first place if I get nothing out of it? I feel like I would skip every enemy encounter unless I absolutely had to fight them, and that doesn't sound fun.

Not gonna lie, I think that's the one thing that makes me not want to play Zelda games, even this one.

I understand why Zelda fans would hate that, but watching GB play Zelda, and then seeing just how easily weapons break agreeing with Jeff's cycle.

Why fight at all in the first place if I get nothing out of it? I feel like I would skip every enemy encounter unless I absolutely had to fight them, and that doesn't sound fun.

I'm kinda in the same boat. It reminds me of MGSV. It's a great big sandbox and it's all fun and games to share all the zany things you can do, but at the end of the day I'm just going to want to take the path of least resistance.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Hell, one look at the tweet's replies shows that they have failed that. Greg's continued defense of whatever Colin does just lets those kind of people think that they're in the right.

They are essentially becoming 4chan-lite.

TBF, you see those kind of people on giantbomb too and giatnbomb does go out of their way to stop that kind of nonsense.

Because then you can get better weapons that sometimes pop out of the enemy camp chests (which unlocks once you clear it out), and you need enemy parts to upgrade armour.

So there is a puprose to it. Armour upgrades are important.

Bacon

I run past most enemies in the overworld. For me it's definitely a joy to just explore the world and complete the shrines, but the combat does seem utterly pointless most of the time and I don't find it very engaging so I have just been avoiding most encounters.

TBF, you see those kind of people on giantbomb too and giatnbomb does go out of their way to stop that kind of nonsense.

Because then you can get better weapons that sometimes pop out of the enemy camp chests (which unlocks once you clear it out), and you need enemy parts to upgrade armour.

For sure on the YouTube channel, but are you referring to the actual site? Funny thing is, despite having an account (premium, at that), I can probably count on one hand the number of times I posted there. I actually feel this is thread is more official of a thread than the threads over there.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Sleeping dogs doesn't take that long to finish, and like most GTA likes there's jack shit to do in the open world. Shouldn't be too much of a commitment to finish.

Megasoum

Banned
I need a good long livestream to watch while playing Zelda...

I went through the WiiU, PS4 and XB1 launch streams over the last couple of weeks lol

Yeah I've had the same idea since playing Yakuza.

I never actually finished that game even tho I worked on it for almost 2 years lol..

Is the Definitive Edition upgrade worth it on PC compared to the standard edition?

if you don't have the DLC it's worth it. and it does make a good looking game even gooder looking.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Yeah I've had the same idea since playing Yakuza.

I never actually finished that game even tho I worked on it for almost 2 years lol..

Is the Definitive Edition upgrade worth it on PC compared to the standard edition?

If you have all the DLC (and even then, the DLC is fun diversion and post-game stuff), the high res texture pack is more than enough to make it look great with the original version. Even if you don't have the DLC I wouldn't say it's required. I liked the Game of Death ripoff DLC well enough but the zombie one and the last one were best experienced via Quick Look.

I was just convincing a friend of mine to play Sleeping Dogs today. Must be something in the air. Are there any other games with performances by an Oscar winning best actress?

Tagyhag

Yeah I see those people sometimes but like you said they're usually cleared out.

Ah ok I didn't really get that from watching the videos, that's good to know!

I would loooooove to finally get into a Zelda game after trying so many of them so I'll continue to have it on my radar. Ultimately I'll probably just get it on CEMU in a few years once I buy a revision of the Switch and the game.

Megasoum

Banned
if you don't have the DLC it's worth it. and it does make a good looking game even gooder looking.

If you have all the DLC (and even then, the DLC is fun diversion and post-game stuff), the high res texture pack is more than enough to make it look great with the original version. Even if you don't have the DLC I wouldn't say it's required. I liked the Game of Death ripoff DLC well enough but the zombie one and the last one were best experienced via Quick Look.

I was just convincing a friend of mine to play Sleeping Dogs today. Must be something in the air.

Thanks guys

Yeah I already have all the DLC so that should be good enough.

I think if they absorbed the DNA from a pregnant animal they would just turn into a non pregnant version of that animal.

True. I'm rusty on Animorph lore

You're not supposed to fight every camp; but they definitely have purpose. There's been plenty of times where the best path to get where I want to go is through an enemy camp. Armor upgrades need monster parts, so it's useful to fight. An easy way to replenish arrows when you're far from civilization is to take on a camp where there's archers. Sometimes you need to use their fire or cooking pot. Other times the environment or situation gives me a good idea for something to try or to do. I might be trying to do something else in the area and they'll keep bothering me if I don't take them out. I'm running low on weapons and want the camp chest or some of their weapons.

Also, I just flat out enjoy the combat so, to me, taking out enemies and camps is enjoyable.

Hindl

Eh, I can see the idea of weapons being pointless, but I have fought so many times that I just don't really get attached to a weapon. Sometimes I clear out a camp and go through some powerful weapons for stuff that isn't that good, and that's a bummer, but whatever. Plus I'm also not going to every camp, you can just run past most things. There's enough other stuff to do in the world that I could see runs where you don't kill anything you don't have to

Just an FYI, the PS4 firmware 4.50 update releases tomorrow. And Boost Mode is confirmed to be coming in the final version. Anyone with PSVR and 3D movies should watch them in the headset.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/03/08/ps4-system-software-update-4-50-out-tomorrow/

I think the only 3D bluray I have is Tangled. Kind of pumped to finally watch it in 3D again, lol.
Best Disney movie.

Still holding out hope for side-by-side 3D video support in the Media Player app, though.

Enemy encounters are pretty pointless. I've spent most of the game running past them as the enemy AI is dumb and they can never catch you if you ignore them. Weapons are expendable and easily replaced, but the bigger issue is that yeah, you don't get much of value from fighting most enemies.

Top Bottom